LHD BNR32 from Finland - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st August 2017, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
TomiS is aware
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

LHD BNR32 from Finland

Hello all! After selling my 240Z last fall in order to get a car with rear seat I wasn't really thinking of getting a R32 GTR or any Nissan for that matter. I looked for American muscle but realized soon that it takes so much to make them handle well I decided to look Japanese cars as well. So, I got this. It was in pretty rough shape and everything that was modified was not very well made either. But it got good parts list and was reasonable priced so I drove it home. I do not have much pictures of how it was when I got it but here are some.

As you can see it was not in the best of shape, engine and interior was a mess but I had no plans of restoring it so it really did not matter. Plan from the beginning was to convert it to LHD, add some power, change color and keep it still streetable weekend family cruiser.

I took the car to my friend to get all the rust repaired, steering modified and finally painted. It took good part of the winter but at the same time I rebuild the engine and sourced most of the needed parts.

Saifskyline likes this.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

The car was finally painted early spring and I got it to my own garage. Color is Grigio Estoque and it really changes a lot with light. It's best in dark evening light and that's where I will do most of my driving.

I also got the wheels powder coated to better suit the new color.

I modified the dash and cluster electrics, each wide needed to be lenghtend about 70cm so that took me quite a long time. And no pictures. I also made a new dash form original R32 dash, LHD S13 dash, expanding foam and glassfibre. It is now waiting to be covered.

Finally after 6 months of wait I got the exhaust manifold from JPN Tuning and we immediately lifted the engine in and I begun to test assemble all the parts. So far so good. I'm even able to squeeze 4" downpipe there and it just clears steering shaft and all.

Saifskyline likes this.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

So this is where I am now. I begun wiring the engine harness. Quite a job and as I only have few nights a week I can spend at the garage it will take some time. Engine management is Maxxecu Race as it supports all I need, including DBW and paddle shifters. My plan is to use 6 speed sequential but first I will make the car driveable with the original 5 speed. It's really cool what these new ECU's are capable of and I just can't wait to get tuning this.

And I also have questions to those who have aftermarket, non plug-in ecus. What data does the ATTESA need? TPS signal at least but is there anything else? What are the pins in the original ECU connector for those?
Saifskyline likes this.

Old 1st August 2017, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Heku is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: LHD '89 R32 GTR, 712bhp '98 R33 V-Spec, 910bhp '91 "AS Mori" R32 GT-R
Nice project. I was about to ask what you're planning to do with the dashboard, but then I saw your S13/R32 hybrid solution. I'm planning to take out the custom, 100% mirror image fiberglass dash we made for my LHD R32 in early-mid 1990's, have it refurbished and maybe another set of molds made out of it for a couple of other, upcoming LHD R32 conversions.

The leather upholstery on it wasn't a good idea, it has shrunk and caused hairline cracks in fiberglass so this time I'll have it done with Ultraleather Brisa or an equivalent material.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

I wouldn't mind having original looking mirrored dash myself. So if you are making them some day, please let me know. I'm thinking of painting the dash for now to see how well it lasts and keeps its shape and then cover it with fake leather or something.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Typhoon is TH1slowGTR

Cars owned: 1991 R32 GTR
wow, that is a crazy project. What made you decide to make it LHD, just for the challenge?
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
freakazoid3 is a longtime addict
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Nice project
Old 1st August 2017, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
What made you decide to make it LHD, just for the challenge?
I just didn't like RHD cars and probably that was also the thing I didn't even think of getting one. But then I went to see my friends LHD R32 GTR, which was for sale at the time, and thought why not. And thinking back I should have bought that car as the conversion is clearly the hardest part.
Old 1st August 2017, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Heku is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: LHD '89 R32 GTR, 712bhp '98 R33 V-Spec, 910bhp '91 "AS Mori" R32 GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiS View Post
So if you are making them some day, please let me know.
Will do. I'm currently preparing for another R33 LHD swap and there will be a bit of fabrication involved, so having one made while we're at it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 1st August 2017, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Aus32 is searching..

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Nice project mate, are you a bit worried about the proximity of brake master to the dump pipe?
Old 1st August 2017, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus32 View Post
Nice project mate, are you a bit worried about the proximity of brake master to the dump pipe?
Yes, that's not the final version. I try to shorten that pipe a bit to get more clearance to brake booster and change the master cylinder to something that does not have outlets on that side.

And I'm still not sure about the turbo either but it will probably do for now. It's old but has made decent numbers with fairly good spool up on similar engines.
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

OK, it's time to think about fuelling. I would not like to use swirl pots or anything but still need to use twin pumps. I have an8 feed and an6 return and Walbro 450 pumps and been thinking about intank baffle. The only one I have found is Frenchy's Performance Garage's kit. I have modified the cap already and would only need the baffle. Is there any other such kits or baffles available?
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Saifskyline is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTR V-Spec
Nice project, good to see JPN Racing doing nice manifolds! Keep the updates coming!
Old 19th September 2017, 07:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

Time for update I guess. I've had very little garage time lately but managed to finish all the engine wiring. Also turbo is in final position and hopefully I don't have to remove it very soon.

It's a tight fit with the turbo especially with the turbine housing but it fits just fine. I will still need to heat shield the brake master cylinder somehow and wrap the downpipe. Now I'm waiting the boost pipes form the welder and swirl pot from Sweden but other than that it's ready for first start up. So I still hope to fire it up this year and map it well before next summer.

I also found brand new front calipers. They're from Megane RS 275 and way cheaper than well used Evo calipers and ebay is full of them. And since they are radial mounted the adapter will be easier to do. I will use 355mm Z34 discs so if anyone's interesed in adapters I can have them made.

Old 21st September 2017, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

I also decided to use a body kit I had ordered a while ago. I wasn't too sure about how I feel about it, and still am not, but as the car is far from perfect this will do just fine. I'm not ruing a good example here so why not. I hope to have it painted in few months time and looks like there is not much fitting to do. Wheels need to be converted to 3pc with wider lips but other than that it seems not to be a big job.

Dave C likes this.
Old 21st September 2017, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
p1k4mp3 is awaiting to receive an ER34 GTT

Nice car and project bro.
Old 24th September 2017, 06:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

OK, there is no turning back now. I know this is not for everybody but I like how the car looks with the overfenders. Fitment is really good for fpr parts, no cutting or grinding needed.

Original side skirts and front bumper lip are now for sale if anyone's interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4040_1506229197773.JPG (186.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4041_1506229208390.JPG (275.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4042_1506229218856.JPG (233.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4043_1506229620826.JPG (154.8 KB, 15 views)
Peedro likes this.
Old 24th September 2017, 09:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...

Could I ask what kit it is and where it came from, also a price for the side skirts.

Kev.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 10:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
TomiS is aware

That's a pandem kit I got with my friend. He's building a time attack car with the same kit. I was thinking 300 euros for the skirts but am open to offers. I also have original front bumper lip that I don't need.
Old 25th September 2017, 01:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
reaper is REAP3R

Cars owned: V-spec II Nur / F80 M3
Interesting the wheel arches sit that much higher especially on the back. Would need to go very low to get rid of any gap.