Do slightly warped Alcon brake discs have any value? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th August 2017, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
GlastoVeteran is 7.5 years in and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Do slightly warped Alcon brake discs have any value?

As per the subject, I have two pairs of 380mm Alcon brake discs with hardly any wear, but they are slightly warped.

Can these be skimmed? Therefore do they have any second-hand value?

Thanks all.
Old 6th August 2017, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
No reason the can't be skimmed I would think.
Old 6th August 2017, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cro
Cro is On the hunt

Might make more sense getting them skimmed first and then putting them up for sale

Old 6th August 2017, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Yes, mine warped over a year back, got them skimmed and have been great since.
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
I doubt very much they are warped.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Try this, go out when roads are quiet, do 10 stops from 80-10 then drive for 10mins and try not to use brakes, repeat another 5 times and drive for 10mins without using brakes.
Old 6th August 2017, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all - any suggestions on where to get them skimmed? I'm happy to ship them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
I doubt very much they are warped.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Try this, go out when roads are quiet, do 10 stops from 80-10 then drive for 10mins and try not to use brakes, repeat another 5 times and drive for 10mins without using brakes.
Thanks - I have read that in the past, and even Litchfield said they'd only ever come across one set of warped discs before. But it was Litchfield that confirmed they needed replacing (or skimming). They were stumped as to how it was happening to my discs, not once but twice, and all within a few thousand miles.
Old 6th August 2017, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chris**** is hiding
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Will be pad deposits. Though they can be a pain to clean off.

What pads were you using?
Old 6th August 2017, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlastoVeteran View Post
Thanks all - any suggestions on where to get them skimmed? I'm happy to ship them.

Thanks - I have read that in the past, and even Litchfield said they'd only ever come across one set of warped discs before. But it was Litchfield that confirmed they needed replacing (or skimming). They were stumped as to how it was happening to my discs, not once but twice, and all within a few thousand miles.
Get them skimmed on the car
Brake lathes for on-car and on-truck disc skimming | Pro-Cut
Old 6th August 2017, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stealth69 is touching himself furiously in a desperate bid to get warm

I thought mine were warped, then I was convinced it was pad deposits, did some fast road stops....... turns out the discs were simply ****ed and I baked the pads lol
dazzabb likes this.

Last edited by Stealth69; 6th August 2017 at 07:53 PM..
Stealth69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
james_barker is unaware they can edit their status

So, when you say 2 pairs. Do you mean front and back, or gave you warped 2 pairs on either front or back?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 6th August 2017, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status

Not many engineering companies can skim them to good accuracy.

Once you have them done, measure them in loads of different places as I have personally seen a set done 3 times until they were any good.

Twice at one company and once at another
Old 6th August 2017, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

For clarity, there is a reason I ask. I had a 350z that chewed through discs and had people tell me it was pad deposits, warping etc. Turned out my car had a distortion on the hub that caused runoff and would show DTV after about 3k miles.

I just mention this because it's highly unlikely to warp discs these days, let alone 2 pairs..

dudersvr and Chris**** like this.
Old 6th August 2017, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skint View Post

Once you have them done, measure them in loads of different places as I have personally seen a set done 3 times until they were any good.

It's expensive on these size discs too. Back along I had a pair of 390mm stock discs skimmed. Only one local place could do it - Hamlins, and they said it would be around 100 quid. Went to collect them and it had gone up to 260 quid, they said because of the time taken. Got it reduced to 210 but not happy with that price.
Old 6th August 2017, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
It's expensive on these size discs too. Back along I had a pair of 390mm stock discs skimmed. Only one local place could do it - Hamlins, and they said it would be around 100 quid. Went to collect them and it had gone up to 260 quid, they said because of the time taken. Got it reduced to 210 but not happy with that price.
Thats why I said get them done on the car, its the only way.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
For clarity, there is a reason I ask. I had a 350z that chewed through discs and had people tell me it was pad deposits, warping etc. Turned out my car had a distortion on the hub that caused runoff and would show DTV after about 3k miles.

I just mention this because it's highly unlikely to warp discs these days, let alone 2 pairs..
Exactly as per your situation, the car had ruined two sets of front discs within about 3k each time. Each time Litchfield had the car back to try to diagnose the problem. They definitely checked the hubs and I think I had replacement bells. Paint on the back of the wheels was mentioned as a possible problem but I'm not sure whether that was the final culprit.

Anyway, the current set have been on for a while and all seems well so hopefully problem solved.

Granted it is more likely to be DTV than warping, but I know nothing about brakes!
Old 7th August 2017, 07:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skint View Post

To be honest that's why I'd rather just sell the discs in their current state so someone else with a bit more knowledge than me has the responsibility of making sure they're good.

I'm sure they could prove good value to someone who's prepared to get them skimmed themselves but no idea on price.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
Thats why I said get them done on the car, its the only way.
Another reason I can't do it really as they're no longer on the car.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly as per your situation, the car had ruined two sets of front discs within about 3k each time. Each time Litchfield had the car back to try to diagnose the problem. They definitely checked the hubs and I think I had replacement bells. Paint on the back of the wheels was mentioned as a possible problem but I'm not sure whether that was the final culprit.

Anyway, the current set have been on for a while and all seems well so hopefully problem solved.

Granted it is more likely to be DTV than warping, but I know nothing about brakes!
Keep an eye out for it and don't go skimming stuff if it happens again until you have found the route cause. Otherwise you'll end up like me and buying 3 pairs of discs and skimming each pair once. Massive cost to keep treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Good luck.

Old 7th August 2017, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
Keep an eye out for it and don't go skimming stuff if it happens again until you have found the route cause. Otherwise you'll end up like me and buying 3 pairs of discs and skimming each pair once. Massive cost to keep treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Good luck.
Cheers James - fingers crossed. But yes I've definitely ended up spending more on discs than I should have. At 40k miles it should probably still be on the original set from the factory but I'm on the 4th set now. Expensive enough on a 350Z but eye-watering on a GT-R.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Cheers James - fingers crossed. But yes I've definitely ended up spending more on discs than I should have. At 40k miles it should probably still be on the original set from the factory but I'm on the 4th set now. Expensive enough on a 350Z but eye-watering on a GT-R.
It was ultimately a Nissan hpc that diagnosed my 350z. As long as they have a genuine, experienced gtr master technician (not the teenager that changes the oil on micra) it may be worth taking to one to put a fine tooth comb over it. If it reoccur that is...