GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   MTEC Brake Discs (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/528097-mtec-brake-discs.html)

smoggy12345 9th August 2017 01:42 AM

MTEC Brake Discs

I'm pretty sure the response I'm gonna get here...

But I have seen these on Ebay (LOL).

Nissan GTR R35 Front 380mm x 34mm Replacement Rotor Brake Discs Pair 2007-2010 | eBay

Is it possible that these could be any good? What sort of Reputation do MTEC have?

Considering these are cheaper for a pair than a single disc from the likes of AP or ALCON it's definitely got me intrigued...

I don't need any discs so i'm not considering purchasing but others may be interested.

Note that on one of the pictures they recommend using the grove style 'If you are doing motorsport or Track Days' .... Seems they have confidence in their own product!

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?? lol

Thoughts?

smoggy12345 9th August 2017 02:17 AM

Just looking around on forums etc....

and seemingly they're getting the thumbs up from quite a few communities including: Evo X, BMW 5 & 6 series, Civic Forum....one guy claimed he ran them on 4 race cars with no issues!

Granted none of the above have performance on par with the GT-R and especially with the GT-R's reputation for ruining the front discs means should definitely be cautious!

Still intrigued tho!

charles charlie 9th August 2017 08:58 AM

Pays your money, takes your chances.

Buy them and let us know how you get on...

Stealth69 9th August 2017 09:39 AM

I used some from a company called RB Racing Motors...... good product and survived a weekend in Wales ;)

Sam McGoo 9th August 2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth69 (Post 5398561)
I used some from a company called RB Racing Motors...... good product and survived a weekend in Wales ;)

Were they from the US?
What price did you pay including delivery and tax etc?

Chronos 9th August 2017 11:23 AM

Personally I wouldnt 'take a chance" on brake disks as it could be an expensive fail, I've took a chance of brake pads in the last few years and lost, borg+beck and Brembo HP2000 both crap!

I'm using Hawk pads now which are good, and/or Ferodo ds2500 and will stick with them

Ref disks I think AP seem to be the most stable, Alcons seem to suffer some warping now and again, mine did but where sorted with skimming, and i've heard other stories about alcons on R35.. my next disks will be AP.

Mookistar 9th August 2017 11:44 AM

The owner of MTEC drives a GTR and is on this forum. Also advertises on the MLR.

terry lloyd 9th August 2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mookistar (Post 5398705)
The owner of MTEC drives a GTR and is on this forum. Also advertises on the MLR.

I wonder which ones he uses hmmmm

Stealth69 9th August 2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam McGoo (Post 5398617)
Were they from the US?
What price did you pay including delivery and tax etc?

From the Midlands I think mate, paid around 800 for J hook discs and Hawk Race pads, the car didn't jutter or falter once on our little joyride to and from wales in various weather conditions from very hot to pissing wet.

Went for a spirited run the other day as well and the brakes were bang on, can't fault to be fair.

I will never take my car on track so might be worth someone testing on track but these discs are spec'd to be on par If not better than the AP's, guess all someone can do is test but fast road is good thus far

integra 9th August 2017 12:36 PM

Theyre good on other cars, so give them a go.....

Chronos 9th August 2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth69 (Post 5398793)
From the Midlands I think mate, paid around 800 for J hook discs and Hawk Race pads, the car didn't jutter or falter once on our little joyride to and from wales in various weather conditions from very hot to pissing wet.
Went for a spirited run the other day as well and the brakes were bang on, can't fault to be fair.
I will never take my car on track so might be worth someone testing on track but these discs are spec'd to be on par If not better than the AP's, guess all someone can do is test but fast road is good thus far

How did you find the Hawks compared to other pads you have used? Hawk HPS?

And why won't you use your car on track.......

I have wondered about j hook disks instead of normal, do they give much better stopping power tho?

thanks

Stealth69 9th August 2017 01:42 PM

I found the hawks were awesome on the cool and warm days, but the cold cold bite isn't as good as the pads there were on it before I don't think.

just can't be arsed to take it on track to be honest, I like my car and don't want to A: smash it to bits, B: have someone else smash it to bits, C: blow my engine to pieces LOL

I don't think they give much better stopping power in honesty, not noticeable over what I had anyway...... I only went with them because I don't want the cracking that comes with drilled discs

Chronos 9th August 2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth69 (Post 5398937)
I found the hawks were awesome on the cool and warm days, but the cold cold bite isn't as good as the pads there were on it before I don't think.

just can't be arsed to take it on track to be honest, I like my car and don't want to A: smash it to bits, B: have someone else smash it to bits, C: blow my engine to pieces LOL

I don't think they give much better stopping power in honesty, not noticeable over what I had anyway...... I only went with them because I don't want the cracking that comes with drilled discs

just can't be arsed to take it on track to be honest, I like my car and don't want to
A: smash it to bits, TOTALLY AGREE
B: have someone else smash it to bits, TOTALLY AGREE
C: blow my engine to pieces LOL - TOTALLY AGREE, IM STILL NOT OVER MINE YET!! :mad::(

i have self banned mine off track for now, well its been over 12 months as I am still emotionally scarred over my last track day, when my engine let go. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future, maybe not.

Stealth69 9th August 2017 02:16 PM

When I sell my TT I'm going to get an Evo in one version or another and smash that around a track, pretty bomb proof and I won't be overly precious of it.

Skint 9th August 2017 03:32 PM

Worth a punt at that price.

misters3 9th August 2017 03:59 PM

Of no real relevance but I use mtec discs on my X5 40d and 306 gti with ebc yellow pads (I fitted them myself). No issues stopping in either but then I'm not tracking them.

I guess the question is if they can stand the heat when pushing hard? I guess only one way to find out! I've got relatively new Alcons on my car at moment and unfortunately it's currently off the road so I can't help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FRRACER 9th August 2017 05:46 PM

DBA make good R35 replacement discs. Worth trying and not that expensive.

Stotty251 10th August 2017 11:42 AM

I used these on my subarus in the past and had no Issues on track.
But a lard arse gt-r is another matter

Chris**** 5th October 2017 08:42 AM

Anyone else given these discs a go? I need new fronts, and will get through them quite quick. So be interested to know, as for 450 they are half the price of AP etc

integra 5th October 2017 09:25 AM

Id say go for them. With that price you've answered your question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris**** 5th October 2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by integra (Post 5459689)
Id say go for them. With that price you've answered your question!

Kind of, but don't want them snapping in two lol. I'm sure the AP are only cast discs as well.

They seem to have loads of decent feedback.

integra 5th October 2017 09:41 AM

Take a punt. Be the first to be brave.
Ive got them and few of my mates have too. Not 35s, but one of them absolutely hammers his car and they're still going strong!

Chris**** 8th October 2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mookistar (Post 5398705)

Do you know his username?

tangoturbo 16th January 2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris**** (Post 5459713)
Kind of, but don't want them snapping in two lol. I'm sure the AP are only cast discs as well.

They seem to have loads of decent feedback.

Hi mate,

Did you buy the disc ? if so what are they like?
thanks

shavermcspud 16th January 2018 03:09 PM

Had Mtec on my Evo X and Range rover V8 worked really well, the RR was a heavy beast and they were much better than stock.

they did squeal on the EVO but that may have been pad choice rather than disc

Although this is like comparing Apples to Oranges in performance terms.

TurboSam 16th January 2018 05:03 PM

I'll be fitting them on my car soon

Jetpilot 16th January 2018 05:05 PM

I have had Mtec J Hooks on a weighty supercharged 350z, road and a lot of track, no issues to report, a very good disc.

To be fair, there are lots of reports out there of cracked ap discs, i dont see a company surviving if there discs were "dangerous" or about to implode at a moments notice, go for it!

draeburn 17th January 2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRRACER (Post 5399185)
DBA make good R35 replacement discs. Worth trying and not that expensive.

Second vote here for DBA, I got this deal from Clark Motorsport over a year ago.

DBA T3 replacement rotors to fit the OEM bells (2012 R35 DBA) including VAT and delivery:

Front discs (pair) - 594
Rear discs (pair) - 622

Done 14 months, 12k miles, including 6 or 7 track days and some very "brisk" road driving using MX Endless pads (which are awesome btw). Just starting to get some very light surface cracks, but other than that they've been brilliant. Highly recommended for the price! (also love the slot pattern).

Spec sheet is here: https://dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/32758/DBA52370.1LS

barry P. 18th March 2018 12:07 PM

Anymore feedback on the Mtec discs?

TurboSam 18th March 2018 02:21 PM

I fitted a full set for a friend he's done about 4K miles and 3 track days with ds2500 pads and they still look and preform like new, think he payed about 1300 for discs and pads total, I'll be fitting them on my car soon as its ready.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk