Fixing the annoying clanking noise - symphony of gtr sounds #2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th August 2017, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
james_barker is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Fixing the annoying clanking noise - symphony of gtr sounds #2

Hi everyone,

My GTR suffers from a standard clanking noise. It's an my13 and it is the one identified in this blog post as #2.

Nissan GT-R (R35) Technical DIY Blog: Conducting the Symphony of Sounds from GT-R

Has anyone managed to find an effective way of addressing it? I'm hoping that since the blogger posted this a more effective fix has been found? Perhaps the my17 has yet another clip on the caliper that quietens the noise.

Frankly it's doing my head in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 11th August 2017, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

My first gtr (MY11) did this (rear pads bouncing in the caliper) but since then I've had a MY13 and a MY16 and neither have had rattling pads, so I thought they had cured it.

Have you got stock pads?
Old 11th August 2017, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
simGTR is unaware they can edit their status

I don't have rattling pads, but I've got what I think is a tin rattle, must be a heat shield I think, so will have to get under at some point. Also noticed the fender trims were unstuck, so a bit of double sided tape for them too.

They have "character"!

Old 11th August 2017, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Killerscum01 is looking for a clear stretch to push his ponies

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 GTR, 911 Turbo, 335D, Evo8 x2, M5, Mk1 Focus RS, TVR Cerbera, many many Cosworths
Quote:
Originally Posted by simGTR View Post
I don't have rattling pads, but I've got what I think is a tin rattle, must be a heat shield I think, so will have to get under at some point. Also noticed the fender trims were unstuck, so a bit of double sided tape for them too.

They have "character"!
Ohhhh... I think i have the same I'll be watching this thread.

Does yours sound almost like a pinking (old school) noise coming from the back? It only really happens when you put it under load but not quite on boost?
Kind of like low speed, high gear, then accelerate without a gear change to get it moving?
Old 11th August 2017, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
My first gtr (MY11) did this (rear pads bouncing in the caliper) but since then I've had a MY13 and a MY16 and neither have had rattling pads, so I thought they had cured it.

Have you got stock pads?
Nope. Cosworth street Master. Seem to be worse than the Pagid pads I was using before. I swapped them out because they sqeeled like hell. I've just swapped one annoying noise for another....

Old 11th August 2017, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerscum01 View Post

Does yours sound almost like a pinking (old school) noise coming from the back? It only really happens when you put it under load but not quite on boost?
Kind of like low speed, high gear, then accelerate without a gear change to get it moving?
It's not the engine, it's the break pads. Sounds like a load of stuff rattling around in the boot but it's definitely the pads because as soon as I feather the brakes it vanishes until I let off.

Old 11th August 2017, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
simGTR is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:

I think it's towards the back, in the middle.

It only varies with wind and speed, so if I'm in a slip stream it stops, or low speed it reduces. It's completely unrelated to the engine or gearbox and I tried feathering the brakes with no affect. But yes, very pinky sounding!
Old 11th August 2017, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Could be the clutches jingling about , try a clutch learn
Old 11th August 2017, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:

That sounds like the rear amp/speaker between the rear seats, that resonates sometimes with low rpm. A thump on the side of it cures it for a few days.
Old 11th August 2017, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
That sounds like the rear amp/speaker between the rear seats, that resonates sometimes with low rpm. A thump on the side of it cures it for a few days.
I'm glad that everyone else's noises are being addressed except that of the OP....

Old 11th August 2017, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 GTR, 911 Turbo, 335D, Evo8 x2, M5, Mk1 Focus RS, TVR Cerbera, many many Cosworths
Quote:
Originally Posted by simGTR View Post
I think it's towards the back, in the middle.

It only varies with wind and speed, so if I'm in a slip stream it stops, or low speed it reduces. It's completely unrelated to the engine or gearbox and I tried feathering the brakes with no affect. But yes, very pinky sounding!
Yeah I think i may have misled people with the pinking sound thing, i know its nothing to do with the engine, but pinking was the nearest sound i could describe it with.

It seems to come from the most extreme rear left of the car almost like an exhaust tip is rattling.

Also I only mention the engine under load thing as to get it to do the noise, I can get it at the exact resonant frequency that way. i think i might record it and post it up.
Old 11th August 2017, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
I'm glad that everyone else's noises are being addressed except that of the OP....

OOPS