ANC / ASC / ASE ? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JMacca1975
  • 1 Post By robsqueak

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th August 2017, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
robsqueak is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Question ANC / ASC / ASE ?

Hi all,

New owner here, picked up an MY17 last week and still getting to know it. One thing i'm not finding any information about is the active sound 'stuff'.

There seems to be (at least) three different systems at work and none of them are well documented anywhere (or i'm failing to find anything anyway).

- The exhaust valve
- ANC Active Noise Cancellation
- ASC Active Sound Control (Maybe?)
- ASE Active Sound Enhancement

All i want to do is to turn off the 'fake' exhaust noises - but ideally leaving the Noise Cancellation operational (for motorway cruising).

Some things are triggered by being in 'R' mode, and some seem to happen no matter what you do.

I can see in the 'special' menu on the MFD there are settings for ANC and ASC, but nothing for ASE.

So are the ASC and ASE the same things?

I have some images of what i'm talking about from the MFD, but i'm too n00b to post them.

Anyone know more about all this? Or where I can get more info?

Thanks in advance!
Rob
Old 15th August 2017, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cardiff R33 is trying to resist mods
GT-RDC Member

Would love to know the same, I know exhaust valve opens at 3000 RPM no matter what the setting
Old 15th August 2017, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
JMacca1975 is Happy that he has posted enough drivel to now edit his status!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I didn't want the fake exhaust sounds either, so I just took it into Westway Mcr and they deactivated them for me.
Will64 likes this.

Old 18th August 2017, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsqueak View Post
I can see in the 'special' menu on the MFD there are settings for ANC and ASC, but nothing for ASE.

So are the ASC and ASE the same things?

I have some images of what i'm talking about from the MFD, but i'm too n00b to post them.

Anyone know more about all this? Or where I can get more info?

Thanks in advance!
Rob
The fake noises (ASE) are activated in R mode. I found they are very good (most people don't even seem to realise it's a fake noise) but can get annoying after a while because it's too consistent.

The good news is it only takes 1 minute to turn it off.

You need to access the hidden menu via holding down the menu button while turning the lower left button, then go to the ANC/ASC section, then run a self diagnostic, then switch off ASC and exit.

I also found the stock exhaust makes a horrible kind of metallic vibrating noise above 4k rpm to the red line, possibly something to do with the pointless valve just before the nearside tailpipes.
Old 13th September 2017, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
robsqueak is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Hi All,

Thanks for your input on this. After some experimenting, i'm pretty confident that ASE=ASC and therefore (as suggested already) the 'fake' noises are disabled by turning ASC off in the semi-secret menu.

Regarding the exhaust valve and sound features, i've found a few interesting things, many of you may already know these - but i'm posting here for any future searchers.

- The exhaust valve operation (when not in 'R' mode) is engine-load dependent, rather than strictly RPM controlled. Under normal usage it switches over around 3kpm but it can be sooner or later if the engine is on a low or high load site. Load it up in 5th gear and it'll open earlier.
- Enabling just one of any of the three 'R' mode switches will open the exhaust valve.
- The same is true for the 'fake' noises, any single switch in 'R' mode will enable them.
- The exhaust switch to the lower right of the steering column affects only the first few minutes after engine startup. After which the valve operation goes back to 'auto' mode (or as mentioned, it will be overridden as soon as you enter 'R' mode or load the engine)

As for the 4k rpm+ vibrating noise, this is not something i seem to be suffering from? I did find the fake noises a bit weird though, so my personal preference was to disable them

Cheers!
slapshot likes this.