A good polish? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan GT-R > R35 - "How to" and DIY guides
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chippy_Jersey
  • 3 Post By Chippy_Jersey

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th August 2017, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Unimag is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

A good polish?

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a good polish to get rid of the smears after cleaning my black car?

When I find time I'll polish it properly I.e. the time consuming way but initially looking for something quick and easy.

Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chippy_Jersey is a newbie

woo there.......explain the smears, what were you using?

Greasy smears or are we talking ingrained swirls?
Old 30th August 2017, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Unimag is unaware they can edit their status

No just residue after hand washing with a every day kinda shampoo.

Old 30th August 2017, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

you mean everyday car wash or are we talking Head and Shoulders?
V-SpecII likes this.
Old 30th August 2017, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's my routine:-

1) Wash the wheels (I use normal car body wash - Meguiars NXT), and wheels woolies if you have them and a detail brush for doing inside the wheel nut holes. Then rinse.

2) Rinse down the bodywork with hose water - gets ride of any loose stuff and cools the panels down if it's a warm day. Occasionally I crack out the Snowfoam, but my car is rarely that dirty to need it.

3) Fill two buckets - I have ones with grit guards in the bottom. One with fresh clean water and the other with your car wash.

4) Wash the car, don't use a cheap sponge (or better avoid altogether and get your self a lambswool mitt- I have a 12" square pad type one). Try and wash top down - roof then windows, then rear end side panels, boot then front bumper. After each panel (or less if really dirty), dunk the mitt in the clean water to get rid of the dirt and grit, then into the wash and move on to the next panel. When your done, a good rinse with the hose. If it's very warm I'll wash a panel and then rinse and move my way round but also keeping the clean panels damped down so they don't dry. Another option is a water filter off Amazon for 40 quid and make your own pure water and leave it to dry without worrying about watermarks a 25 litre container is plenty to rinse the car using a watering can.

5) I towel dry my car with drying towels. Because I keep my car well topped up with wax, most of the rinse water rolls off anyway so drying it is a 5 minute job. A wash my towels regularly as they do pick up some of the wax, so they're not as good to dry after a few rounds of drying. I do the windows with the damp towels last. I actually used a Metrovac last week set on blow. Does a really good job of blowing water out from around the spoiler mounts and mirror, which always seem impossible to dry! It shifts a fair bit off the bodywork's well and is great on drying the wheels.

That's pretty much my weekly clean.

Once every 4-6 weeks I also top up with the wax. I use Swissvax Shield, as it's designed for cars that live outside, applied with a wax sponge. Do one panel at a time, wipe on and then wipe off - this stuff doesn't need to cure/bond and is nice and easy to remove.

That's pretty much it :-)

Last edited by Chippy_Jersey; 30th August 2017 at 07:48 PM..
Chippy_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
andrea1234 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

This brand has several polish products that could help you out.

There are many specific products to polish your car. I tried Ma-Fra products and they work perfectly.
They are leaders in Italy and their products are very good. If you want, you can try it. I recommend them to you. Check their website!!
Old 28th November 2017, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knightwing23 is cornering at speed
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

The smear marks sounds like old wax especially if you are waxing the car every 4-6 weeks. When was the last time you clay bar the car?

To remove the smears after wax use CarPro Eraser - Intense Oil and Polish Cleanser,

I would definitely recommend using that and a paintwork cleanser after you've clay barred the car, but before applying the wax

if your car lives outside then definitely use a ceramic Paint sealer followed by couple of layers of wax, and that will protect the car for 6 months at a time if not longer.
Old 26th January 2018, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
GTRZOOM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Go to youtube search for Ammo NYC... that guy knows his stuff!!! A little nerdy but so so educational!
Old 15th August 2019, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
SPR-Moto is unaware they can edit their status

I've just switched to Soft99 Fusso coat, on both my grey GTR and black Shogun, it's the best wax i've used. Needs a good wash, clay and cleanse first but best look i've seen on a black car..
Old 15th August 2019, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Zymol Concours wax all day long for me. Works a treat, though definitely remove old wax before applying. Lasts about 3-8 months depending on how well you apply it/how often you wash car. Stunning results
Old 15th August 2019, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
SPR-Moto is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKNAM View Post
Zymol Concours wax all day long for me. Works a treat, though definitely remove old wax before applying. Lasts about 3-8 months depending on how well you apply it/how often you wash car. Stunning results
How much is a tin, i figured id give Japanese wax a try on Japanese paint, very happy so far..
Old 15th August 2019, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Yes, the Japon wax is very good too - and a great price for the performance it gives. Zymol also do an Ebony wax which is essentially a black coloured wax - no idea if its any good, its about £60/pot - haven't tried or seen it firsthand.

Concours is about £180 a pot - lasts well though and you only need a little to go a long way. I've used it on red, grey and black paint and it gives a truly deep, wet shine so easily, its uncanny. It's a bit old skool for some now, but its brilliant and works well (just expensive, that's all its got going against it).