Camber camber camber - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th June 2018, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
truupR is wanting more low
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR
Camber camber camber

On my last 4 wheel alignment it was noted that they couldn't achieve the correct camber settings for my current ride height due to the camber arms being seized. The suspension is completely standard except for the coilovers that were fitted when it arrived in the UK. All old af.

I'm going a touch lower on the ride height soon and I'm looking to freshen up the suspension and get the camber right - however it seems far more complicated than my little old integra DC5 I used to have. On that car it was 2 rear arms, and 2 front camber bolts then a geo setup, job done. The bit I'm getting confused about is what I actually need to buy. I know next to nothing about suspension, and even less about the R33 suspension..

Originally I was looking at a driftworks 'kit' simply because... it's all in one package. However I think maybe I could spend my money a little better after reading not-so-great things about DW items. Looking at RHDJapan there's lots of different companies offering far more than just rear camber arms.

For example Cusco have Negative upper A arms, Adjustable upper rear arms, adjustable rear upper arm links. Do I need all of those items just to be able to dial in the correct camber? Do I need things like tension rods?

The car is only driven on the street and won't see any track use.

Could someone please simplify what I should actually be buying, what's not worth buying (because I see some stuff is aimed at track cars) what companies are good etc.. I'm totally in the dark. Also would it be worth freshening up some of the bushings? Would changing something like the sub-frame or steering rack bushings make any noticeable difference?

Ideally I'd like to keep the price for the whole lot under £1k with a HICAS lockout kit included in the price. Again I'm only after items that'd be beneficial to a street car

Last edited by truupR; 13th June 2018 at 05:36 PM..
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
jdm4life is fully aware they can edit their status but doesn't see the point

Ive been in a similar boat....Pun intended.

The camber on the rear shouldnt be too bad depending how low the car is but the front will need camber took off. Mine currently has far too much on the front so I have bought cusco front upper camber arms and whiteline our top arm bushes. I also have new whiteline front and rear arbs with new bushes and links to go on.

You can also get hardrace here in the UK which will do the job and are around £300-350 for the front upper arms. Rear camber arms being circa £170.

For UK roads id keep camber settings to no more than 1 degree on the front otherwise it will dart all over the place with the uneven/adverse camber on the roads. If you cant take enough off the back just get a set of rear camber arms and do both. Dont go too low on the back because when the car squats the camber can increase dramatically, decreasing traction.

When you start taking the sub frame off the cost will shoot up due to time...then you may as well rebuild the whole sub frame. If they dont look bad Id leave them until you can have the frame redone.

As for replacing bushes...Do as many as you can because it will make a world of difference.

I had a jdm dc2 and the multi link on them means more bushes etc. The dc5s downfall imo was the suspension design, let down by the lack of rear multi link setup and the front steering geometry meant that lowering the cars beyond 1 inch would cause a whole host of problems. The ep3 having the same problem basically being the same car.

Contact cougar power motorsport uk on facebook, speak to them about a whiteline bush kit. Mention steve @carcultured apparel, they will get a good price.

Last edited by jdm4life; 13th June 2018 at 05:57 PM..
jdm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Same issue as mine, I've got Nismo arms front and rear, lowered on Meister R coilovers - inner edges of front tyres are worn down. I think the car is too low for our roads anyway, so hoping raising it will help with the camber and I won't need to replace parts I've already replaced!

Edit:

What about these? Roll centre adaptors -
https://www.rhdjapan.com/kts-roll-ce...r33-bnr34.html

Would they help sort the problem?

Last edited by Red Duke; 13th June 2018 at 06:37 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th June 2018, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply's lads. Red Duke, I've got the same problem currently with my fronts wearing right on the inner edge.

So purely for example, if I ordered

this

and

this

I'd be all sorted? Or would I need tension rods? Lower control arms? or are those just fancy extra's to tweak/enhance the handling even more?
Old 13th June 2018, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
Thanks for the reply's lads. Red Duke, I've got the same problem currently with my fronts wearing right on the inner edge.

this

and

this

I'd be all sorted? Or would I need tension rods? Lower control arms? or are those just fancy extra's to tweak/enhance the handling even more?
Go hardrace and save paying import duty etc and waiting for them to arrive. Get front and rear camber arms and replace all the bushes. As for other arms, I wouldnt bother atm but replace the tension rod bushes while you are at it.

A lot have spherical bearings so avoid them for a road car. Also Id go for a 1 piece upper front camber arm.

Last edited by jdm4life; 13th June 2018 at 09:07 PM..
Old 13th June 2018, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:

this

and

this

I wouldn't like to say mate tbh, I've not sorted mine yet, hoping to drop it off tomorrow when I collect my GT86, see what the garage say once the ride height has been taken up! My rears seem to be fine, I've had all new bushes and bearings when it was all refurbished so I can't say if that has changed my rear camber or I'm just too low, hence the inner front wearing. I also rub on full lock too, so something needs to change!

The RCA's seem to put the front arms back to OEM position (even when lowered) so should sort the camber? I hope!

Last edited by Red Duke; 13th June 2018 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Grammar!! Lol
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
zenkilevin is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: AE86, BNR32
Quote:
From my experience its actually the toe setting rather then camber that affects the inner tyre wear.
MS33 likes this.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkilevin View Post
From my experience its actually the toe setting rather then camber that affects the inner tyre wear.
Indeed, I had 5 deg of toe set on the front.....and thats apparently with a professional alignment... my nut sack (£75 down the spout) Was starting to scrub out my brand new Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in 400 miles

Too many cowboys out there
Old 14th June 2018, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkilevin View Post
Didn't know that! I'll get them to check it! Cheers
Old 14th June 2018, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do I need anything to adjust the toe or will oem suffice?

In terms of hardrace stuff, their front camber kit seems different to other brands, and is double the price?

Hardrace front camber kit

where as japspeed's front camber kit for example looks different - here. Assuming ones upper camber arms ones lower?

Japspeed also do a kit (here) like driftworks - assuming it all comes from the same factory though?
Old 14th June 2018, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Do I need anything to adjust the toe or will oem suffice?

In terms of hardrace stuff, their front camber kit seems different to other brands, and is double the price?

Hardrace front camber kit

where as japspeed's front camber kit for example looks different - here. Assuming ones upper camber arms ones lower?

Japspeed also do a kit (here) like driftworks - assuming it all comes from the same factory though?
Generally, you get what you pay for. I have oem toe arms and they have enough adjustment for my setup.
Old 15th June 2018, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4life View Post
Go hardrace and save paying import duty etc and waiting for them to arrive. Get front and rear camber arms and replace all the bushes. As for other arms, I wouldnt bother atm but replace the tension rod bushes while you are at it.

A lot have spherical bearings so avoid them for a road car. Also Id go for a 1 piece upper front camber arm.
I have spherical bearings on my road car...

Decent bearings with a rubber boot last well enough.
mambastu likes this.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Mini-revival.

Are these 2 parts the same? Cusco camber hardrace camber

Not sure why the cusco's are half the price of the hard-race version?. One thing I'm concerned about is on the RHDJapan site it states on the cusco arms:

Quote:
COMPATIBILITY NOTES:
- Skyline: Only 2WD Vehicles (GT-R Excluded)
This camber stuff is starting to fry my head a bit. Want something that's decent which doesn't cost the earth to buy.
Old 6th July 2018, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
MS33 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Series III White R33 GTR with Nismo 400R bodykit
I use these, Ian C on here produced them. std arms, but modified to be adjustable. And work very well, I think they were about £150 on an exchange basis. But haven't heard from him for a while.

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/attachme...1&d=1530878196
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Front camber links.jpeg (10.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 6th July 2018, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
FWIW I wouldn't buy the DW stuff, I had their arms on my R33 and had to get the alignment done every 3 months or so because it kept working loose.
jdm4life likes this.
Old 6th July 2018, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh View Post
FWIW I wouldn't buy the DW stuff, I had their arms on my R33 and had to get the alignment done every 3 months or so because it kept working loose.
Their design seems to be exactly the same as most of the stuff from Japan. Only reason I haven't ordered them is because of what people on here have said. Saying that it's nice of them to offer the whole lot in one kit - shame no other company is doing that. Well besides Japspeed that is. I hear they come from the same manufacturer, although the japspeed stuff has slightly different designs for some of the arms. They don't seem to be making it anymore though.

Are traction/tension rods essential for dialing in camber? or is it more of an added bonus? I'm not planning on tracking the car.

At the moment I'm going to order hardrace or cusco for the front (assuming they're compatible with the GTR, if someone could confirm that'd be great) and hardrace rear arms. Also get a HICAS lockout kit. Is there anything else I'll need?
Old 6th July 2018, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Their design seems to be exactly the same as most of the stuff from Japan. Only reason I haven't ordered them is because of what people on here have said. Saying that it's nice of them to offer the whole lot in one kit - shame no other company is doing that. Well besides Japspeed that is. I hear they come from the same manufacturer, although the japspeed stuff has slightly different designs for some of the arms. They don't seem to be making it anymore though.

Are traction/tension rods essential for dialing in camber? or is it more of an added bonus? I'm not planning on tracking the car.

At the moment I'm going to order hardrace or cusco for the front (assuming they're compatible with the GTR, if someone could confirm that'd be great) and hardrace rear arms. Also get a HICAS lockout kit. Is there anything else I'll need?
Read the thread again.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4life View Post
Read the thread again.
Apologies mate having to sift through and try to pick out the bits I need and see where to source. I understand next to nothing about how suspension is made up so 98% of the time I don't even know if what I'm looking at, is actually what I need.

Just sent off a message to cougar power about the tension rod bushes or bush kits they can supply, and ordering hardrace front and rear arms. Thanks for your patience
jdm4life likes this.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Apologies mate having to sift through and try to pick out the bits I need and see where to source. I understand next to nothing about how suspension is made up so 98% of the time I don't even know if what I'm looking at, is actually what I need.

Just sent off a message to cougar power about the tension rod bushes or bush kits they can supply, and ordering hardrace front and rear arms. Thanks for your patience
No worries, as long as you get there in the end

Cougar will see you right for sure. Good prices, i cant fault them.

Just make sure you take the car to somewhere who knows the the flip they are talking about regarding suspension setup and I dont mean kwikfit

Find the best guy you can to do it, pref with a motorsports background who uses fishing line etc

A lot of so called alignment shops out there talk out their anus and couldnt set up suspension if their life depended on it and the gear they use is usually out of whack too. I had a so called professional setup. Professional setup my ball sack, was £75 worth of sloppy dog turd.

Expect to pay upwards of £250 for a proper setup.

Good luck.

Last edited by jdm4life; 6th July 2018 at 09:46 PM..
Old 7th July 2018, 10:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
If you want quality buy Ikeya, Cusco is decent also. Rest is Chinese crap I wouldn’t even touch.
meathead and jdm4life like this.