Restoration/Modification of my road legal Circuit racing R32 GTR - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th December 2018, 09:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
David is unaware they can edit their status
Registered

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Silvia Spec R
Old 19th December 2018, 09:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered

So having previously tried welding thin steel with my old mig I decided to first upgrade to a Portamig also set up with 0.6mm wire. It's still not easy to butt weld 0.8mm steel (as I have done on all my repairs to make them invisible) but it's much better than my old mig.

New setup

The other good point is it has many less buttons to fiddle with so it’s very easy to set up right

Last edited by David; 22nd December 2018 at 10:32 PM..
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 09:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Well I've eaten half a tin of celebrations and a cup of tea so far, still waiting....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th December 2018, 09:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Any bigger pictures? struggling to see that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19th December 2018, 09:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered

So after remembering how to add code to image as I cannot get on with the forums lack of a rotate image button

Off to the shot blasters

Then when it was back no time for pictures straight into welding

Sill edge replaced

Bottom of the bulkhead replaced, building the skins back up later by layer

From the inside

Then cut a big section of the floor out to get all the remaining rot out

Make a repair panel

Simply weld in and it's looking a bit more like a car
You can also just see the panel I added to the inner sill here before it was blasted, the section with the swaged hole next to the roll cage foot is new

Then weld the roll cage foot back on and spot weld all the layers back together

matt j and Red Duke like this.

Last edited by David; 22nd December 2018 at 10:04 PM..
Old 19th December 2018, 09:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
Any bigger pictures? struggling to see that one.
Hello Kev, I might have to have a look for another image host as they are a bit big.
Old 19th December 2018, 10:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered

I give up for the evening I have lots more pictures but need to sort the size out. I don’t remember this issue with previous image hosts
Old 21st December 2018, 08:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Hi David,

First chance I've had to check in since the other night, I wanted to send you some info regarding image hosting, but I'm on the wrong computer at the moment, (my better half's, not mine) so can't, try imgur, I think that's what it's called, they have been spot on for me since the last lot f**ked me over, once you get your head round how they work, the uploading of images is far easier than any I've used before, especially image size selecting, which you have to do BEFORE uploading your photos to there site.

Image size aside, it's nice to see the progress, there's not many of us left that have the hands on approach, something I miss on here, hopefully I'll get some time next year to spend on mine, till then, keep the pics coming if you can, help me remember what I'm missing.

All the best mate and Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Kev.

Old 22nd December 2018, 10:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Hi David,

First chance I've had to check in since the other night, I wanted to send you some info regarding image hosting, but I'm on the wrong computer at the moment, (my better half's, not mine) so can't, try imgur, I think that's what it's called, they have been spot on for me since the last lot f**ked me over, once you get your head round how they work, the uploading of images is far easier than any I've used before, especially image size selecting, which you have to do BEFORE uploading your photos to there site.

Image size aside, it's nice to see the progress, there's not many of us left that have the hands on approach, something I miss on here, hopefully I'll get some time next year to spend on mine, till then, keep the pics coming if you can, help me remember what I'm missing.

All the best mate and Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Kev.
Thanks Kev, I am using IGMUR but trying to do all this from my phone using the app thatís doesnít have the resizing option.

Merry Christmas to you to and thanks for your tips, Iíll now get more pictures up but I have been really impressed learning from your thread and others how metal can be formed quite easily with very simple tools. (I have a new favourite hammer :&). )

For anyone else struggling with image sizes you can add an ďlĒ in the image link and it auto resizes, smaller use m larger h.

Kev how do the above images now look?

I want to get on with the welding so I can get onto making carbon fibre
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered

Fist I cut out the rust revealing a chassis leg that was also suffering. The top plate in the chassis leg was replaced.

The top edge of the chassis leg also needed replacing so I made this panel by feeding a piece of metal with a 90 degree bend in it through a cheap shinker I bought from the us

This was welded in

The bottom of the floor where it joins to the inner sill was also replaced as per the other side

So next I used my bead roller to add the features of the original panel onto the replacement and welded it in.

I also made another panel to fill in the remaining section of floor and it started looking like this

matt j and Red Duke like this.

Last edited by David; 22nd December 2018 at 11:11 PM..
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
That's awesome, great updates!
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:36 AM   #32 (permalink)

Morning Dave,

The images are much better and love your work, you're doing a better job than I did, like the bit made with the shrinker, nearly bought one of those myself beginning of last year, then forgot about it with not spending time in the garage, back on my wish list now though, as I said before, keep the pics coming if you can, for me it's way more interesting than people posting pics of there cars being washed, or worse still, someone else washing there cars for them.

Before I go, could I ask what the chassis rails are like, any damage from jacking and such, just curious.

Old 2nd January 2019, 05:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Morning Dave,

The images are much better and love your work, you're doing a better job than I did, like the bit made with the shrinker, nearly bought one of those myself beginning of last year, then forgot about it with not spending time in the garage, back on my wish list now though, as I said before, keep the pics coming if you can, for me it's way more interesting than people posting pics of there cars being washed, or worse still, someone else washing there cars for them.

Before I go, could I ask what the chassis rails are like, any damage from jacking and such, just curious.
Thanks Kev

All the Jacking points in the sills were completely ruined but I have retained no factory metal in these areas so they are completely rebuilt.

The chassis legs are mostly good, but one is dented Iíll sort the rust out first but I am thinking of buying one of those weld on dent pullers to try.
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered

I thought I would a general picture of car looks now it’s blasted first, it looks like primer but is actually Matt metal

matt j likes this.
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered

Next I needed to repair by far the worst bit the drivers side rear floor and end of sill as a reminder this is how it started out

This is what remains of the inner sill after the out is removed

After much cutting there is still rust !!!!

So I cut the whole lot out, notice how the under seat base in yellow is also scrap in this picture I have already cut part of it off.

It only looked slightly better after blasting

Old 2nd January 2019, 06:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered

Luckily at this point a crashed R32 Gts Shell was available locally.

It was really rough and well past saving (previously was a R32 with the bee-r34 kit) but it had a completely rust free rear floor and rear seat base I could use to save a lot of time making panels.

The rear seem is 3 layers again, so as per the front I cut all 3 out and rebuilt it layer by layer. I don't have any pictures of the repair to the seat base edge but this is the rear floor section going in.

Here you can see whereI replaced the entire bottom edge of the inner sill to have something solid to weld the floor to

Last edited by David; 2nd January 2019 at 10:26 PM..
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered

I then cut the entire corner of the under rear seat strengthening panel out. Here you can see the repair to the edge of the seat base and my first structural modification.

I have always thought the standard pressed bracket that bolts across the subframe mount and onto the chassis was rubbish and heavy. So while I had access to the back of the rollcage foot I welded a bracket on which will later effectively tie the rear subframe directly into the roll cage

The panel from the donor car then went in with a really good coat of copper weld through primer underneath

matt j and kevr32 like this.
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered

So next to rebuild the inner sill. First I fixed the subframe crossmember it bolts too which was a bit thin with a pin hole

Then I made the rear inner sill section

That then left a big hole were the front edge of the rear wheel arch should have been
Note the copper primer internally to stop future rust

So out with the card

Then turn it into metal

Tack in place and finally bend to shape

Then fully weld

And another bit finished

tarmac terror likes this.
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

Hi Dave,

Your certainly putting the effort in, but I must admit I'm baffled by the lack of response to this thread, I assume there are people out there looking at this, so why there's a lack of comments or even likes bewilders me, please keep it coming, I love this kind of stuff.

Old 3rd January 2019, 02:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Your certainly putting the effort in, but I must admit I'm baffled by the lack of response to this thread, I assume there are people out there looking at this, so why there's a lack of comments or even likes bewilders me, please keep it coming, I love this kind of stuff.
Thankyou Kev, I really quite enjoying the work and was out in the garage last night again. I think at the moment this thread is quite different from the norm on here and there are not many people interested or doing fabrication themselves. I think to many this shell would have been scrapped, however if you compare it to a typical Mini mk1 restoration the work is relatively light.

I am messing with bits of the sill here that very few owners on here have ever seen let alone tried to repair.

I think people will become more interested when I start making the carbon rear quarters as that's a more typical GTR interest area.

When I get a bit further I might trying putting some links to this thread on the various face book pages
lightspeed likes this.