Issue with the site photo hosting - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > Site Help > GTR.co.uk Site Help/Support
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By admindemo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th June 2018, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
David is unaware they can edit their status
Registered

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Silvia Spec R
Issue with the site photo hosting

Hello

In my build thread I have been using this site to host photo's.

I have been uploading directly from my Iphone.

Unfortunately this site's uploading process seems to randomly change the orientation of the photo's.

The only way arround this is to upload them all, see which screw up, delete them all, then on my phone edit the photo's with wrong orientation to rotate them to an incorrect angle, save them, rotate them back to the position they were in originally and save again

It's really annoying and putting me off using the site to host photo's as I think it would be quicker to use Igmer or similar.

Can you have a look at fixing it?
Old 21st June 2018, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
admindemo is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hello

In my build thread I have been using this site to host photo's.

I have been uploading directly from my Iphone.

Unfortunately this site's uploading process seems to randomly change the orientation of the photo's.

The only way arround this is to upload them all, see which screw up, delete them all, then on my phone edit the photo's with wrong orientation to rotate them to an incorrect angle, save them, rotate them back to the position they were in originally and save again

It's really annoying and putting me off using the site to host photo's as I think it would be quicker to use Igmer or similar.

Can you have a look at fixing it?
Hi there,

This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.

Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your phone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your phone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here).

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).

Hope that helps!

Ed
Mookistar likes this.