R33 GTR, keeps cutting out.. - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By anthonymcgrath
  • 1 Post By ragt20
  • 1 Post By anthonymcgrath
  • 3 Post By lee_gtr
  • 1 Post By anthonymcgrath
  • 2 Post By MS33
  • 1 Post By ragt20
  • 2 Post By lee_gtr
  • 1 Post By ragt20
  • 1 Post By ragt20

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th October 2018, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
ragt20 is unaware they can edit their status
Registered

Cars owned: VZR N1, R33 GTR
R33 GTR, keeps cutting out..

never had this issue before, but last two times I've driven it, keep on getting the car cutting out, has happened mostly when in traffic or low speed.

will be driving along, and you can just all of a sudden feel power loss, no amount of pressing the accelerator will do anything, just have to stop..

so stop, restart and it seems fine, and drives ok, till I then either get stuck in traffic or just slowing down coming to a junction..

ok what doesn't help car hasn't been driven as much this year, happened first time in August, was taking it my uncles place to park up, whilst we had building work done, started fine, 5 mins down the road, it cut out for the very first time, did it a couple of times, thought at the time could be cause of low fuel, as the gauge is dodgy, and was showing only a quarter tank full, after I managed to get it going again, just went straight to the nearest petrol station, luckily only a mile away, fully topped up, and went on my way, around a 20mile trip seemed to behave on the mway etc, thought it was sorted till I came off the mway and in slow traffic, then it almost cut out, but managed to keep it going,

since then, not touched it till today, started it up, left it running for about 5 mins, and it just switched off by itself, restarted, and over the next 45 min drive, it cutout 3- 4 times again, all the same, as if fuel supply is getting cut off, and it just switches off, everytime, just restart and its fine, drove the last 20 odd mins of the journey and it was fine, trip back, as fine for like 95% of the drive, just when I got close to his place, again in low traffic cutout power again..

any thoughts? running Power FC ecu, Sard fuel pump, standard injectors and maf, N1 Turbos, all been running fine for the last 2-3 years with no issue
Old 20th October 2018, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: R33 gtst
Was gonna suggest fuel pump. But if youe running oem maf it could be that?

Or possibly pump despite being uprated maybe.. or maybe it's loose in the tank ? Just throwing ideas really

When my fuel pump died I just got stuck at roadside.. It actually turned out to be totally chubbered rubber fuel line as you can see in pic (32gtr btw). Might be worth just checking in the tank and around the bay? See if anything is loose?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
ragt20 and enshiu like this.
Old 20th October 2018, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered

cool, will have a look when I get a chance, other thought was could it be crap in fuel tank, and possibly a fuel filter change will help?
anthonymcgrath likes this.

Old 20th October 2018, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough

Yeah possibly but fuel filters don't tend to cause full cutout from my xp.. start with rubber lines first and check they are ok.. then work from there. Any noticeable noises like overly whiny fuel pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragt20 View Post
cool, will have a look when I get a chance, other thought was could it be crap in fuel tank, and possibly a fuel filter change will help?
Old 21st October 2018, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath View Post
Yeah possibly but fuel filters don't tend to cause full cutout from my xp.. start with rubber lines first and check they are ok.. then work from there. Any noticeable noises like overly whiny fuel pump?

hmm not sure about whiny fuel pump noise, not easy to make out over the noise of the car...
Old 21st October 2018, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
hmm not sure about whiny fuel pump noise, not easy to make out over the noise of the car...
Well generally they aren't quiet.. if you turn the key to II you should hear fuel pump prime.. a whine in the boot for a few seconds. Then when you fire it up any whine will likely be drowned by exhaust note lol.
But it's def worth inspecting the pipes to check they're ok first. Then work to other stuff

ragt20 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
lee_gtr is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Sound like a faulty AFM, if you have power fc go to the etc menu and go to sensor check to see what they are reading
ragt20, anthonymcgrath and MS33 like this.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I did think that but he said the car drives sweet when it fires back up. My xp of a faulty afm is that it makes the car hesitant and lumpy. But yeah it's def worth swapping for a spare to see if it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_gtr View Post
Sound like a faulty AFM, if you have power fc go to the etc menu and go to sensor check to see what they are reading
ragt20 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
MS33 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Series III White R33 GTR with Nismo 400R bodykit
Have a look a this, mine was cutting out and this fixed it.
https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/...our-rb26-afms/
ragt20 and anthonymcgrath like this.
Old 21st October 2018, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered

ahh interesting, hadn't looked at that, because as Anthony mentioned, if it was AFMs, the problem would be more persistent than just the random times it does...

I think I have a spare set of AFMs lying about somewhere, need to find them and try them out..
Old 21st October 2018, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
lee_gtr is unaware they can edit their status

If the solder is dry and cracked inside the unit it will be really on and off with you. One min it’s fine then it will cut out etc worth a look on the power fc hand controller just to eliminate them
ragt20 and anthonymcgrath like this.
Old 21st October 2018, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered

cool will check it out, when I next get to the car, being parked away from home at present doesn't help..
Old 12th August 2019, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered

ok, update on this, as suggested, I swapped over the OEM mafs that were on the car, with a second hand set of OEM mafs. the positive news, the original problem I had is gone, car now doesn't just switch off when driving at slower speeds..

but have now got a different problem, if you put your foot down, when either moving from stationary start, or even when cruising at a higher gear and you put your foot down, it just doesn't want to put the power down, any thoughts, on what I can check, or is it just a case that the 2nd set of MAFs I've stuck on are bad as well? anything I can do to check them?

the original mafs that were on there, I took the covers off and couldn't see any bad solder joins..so odd they were behaving the way they did..
enshiu likes this.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Darrel is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Sorry, double posted

Last edited by Darrel; 31st October 2019 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Double post
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Darrel is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
ok, update on this, as suggested, I swapped over the OEM mafs that were on the car, with a second hand set of OEM mafs. the positive news, the original problem I had is gone, car now doesn't just switch off when driving at slower speeds..

but have now got a different problem, if you put your foot down, when either moving from stationary start, or even when cruising at a higher gear and you put your foot down, it just doesn't want to put the power down, any thoughts, on what I can check, or is it just a case that the 2nd set of MAFs I've stuck on are bad as well? anything I can do to check them?

the original mafs that were on there, I took the covers off and couldn't see any bad solder joins..so odd they were behaving the way they did..
Hi mate,

Just wondering, did you manage to get to the bottom of the engine cutting out problem? I understand the AFM's fixed it somewhat but you were having problems with flooring it while cruising in high gear or from a standstill.

I'm currently having similar problems, intermittent and more evident when it's warmed up, tends to backfire when letting off the throttle.

I've changed the plugs with little improvement, now logic tells me it's the AFM's but really hope you can help by sharing your experience with the issue you had, thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Darrel.