Group-buy, Wavetrac front diff - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th November 2018, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
K_arlstrom is eating cookies in the garage
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: BNR32
Post Group-buy, Wavetrac front diff

GB canceled since there wasn't enough interest, mod can lock the thread...

I've been in touch with Wavetrac about a front differential for RB engines.
All reviews I've seen on the internet have been positive about it, for those of you who don't know what makes it special, take some time and read on their page.
Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

TD,DR
It's a helical differential combined with friction discs, if you lift the inner wheel it will still send power to the other without all the issues of running a locking LSD in the front.

They need 25 pre-orders to make it happen, I'm one so that means we need 24 more.

Shipping
If this succeeds, shipping to European customers will get handled by Wavetracs European distributor. If there is interest from people in other areas, I'm certain they will be able to solve that too.
(added bonus, I don't have to pay for all 25 units and be a middle man)

Delivery time
Expected 120 days / 3 months after enough people have shown interest to warrant a production run.

Durability & Warranty
They have customers running over 1000hp through their smallest diffs like the EVO, Civic, and GTR front with no problem, and those have the smallest internals. This one is the next size up. Lifetime Transferable Warranty.

Price
Expected to be the same as their other offerings, $1395

Regards
Jonas

List of interested people (no purchase promise);
1. K_arlstrom
2. agent-x
3. spiidfriik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by K_arlstrom; 24th December 2018 at 06:58 PM..
K_arlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
agent-x is trying to solve his many problems
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Has anyone used these before?

Sound really good.

Could be interested for my R32
Old 10th November 2018, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent-x View Post
Has anyone used these before?
As far as I know, not in a skyline. Here is one of the first comparisons that I found when I searched for a link, https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ferential.html
"With the Wavetrac, it feels more "neutral" than the Quaife. You can still feel that there is a slight pull towards the inside of the turn, but it feels far more neutral/natural and it doesn't seem to pull you off your driving line as much as the Quaife. Simply put, there is less fighting going on to maintain the steering angle"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10th November 2018, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
agent-x is trying to solve his many problems
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_arlstrom View Post
As far as I know, not in a skyline. Here is one of the first comparisons that I found when I searched for a link, https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ferential.html
"With the Wavetrac, it feels more "neutral" than the Quaife. You can still feel that there is a slight pull towards the inside of the turn, but it feels far more neutral/natural and it doesn't seem to pull you off your driving line as much as the Quaife. Simply put, there is less fighting going on to maintain the steering angle"
taken from the above link

Quote:
With the Quaife, if you go full throttle during a turn it usually aggressively pulls you into the inside of the turn to the point of where I would consider it far too much for the steering angle that you originally had the wheel pointed to. You would have to forcefully hold onto the wheel to keep it pointing on the correct driving line you're wishing to take through the turn. Basically, I'm explaining the torque steer that is exhibited. If you wanted to steer away from the inside of the turn it would be rather difficult and feels as if you're having to fight against it. Sometimes this pull to the inside is helpful, but after awhile I felt like it is a slight nuisance.

With the Wavetrac, it feels more "neutral" than the Quaife. You can still feel that there is a slight pull towards the inside of the turn, but it feels far more neutral/natural and it doesn't seem to pull you off your driving line as much as the Quaife. Simply put, there is less fighting going on to maintain the steering angle which is very welcoming after almost one year of having the Quaife installed.
Would like to hear sub boys comments on this if he feels the same way. Ive been reading a lot of reviews on the Quaife and to be fair nobody has mentioned the above before

I was actually looking at the Quaife diff

K_arlstrom any rough ideas as to how much this might be?
Old 10th November 2018, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Same here, first guess is that it have to do with how prone a car is to torque-steer.
Quaife seems like the best available front diff for our cars, and here is an alternative that's pretty much an evolution of the helical diff.

Fingers crossed it's around $1400 as most of their other options, waiting for an official estimate from Wavetrac.

Old 10th November 2018, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
simGTR is unaware they can edit their status

Is it just for a skyline? I'd be interested in one for a 996 turbo. Been considering one for a while, got to rebuild my box.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent-x View Post
taken from the above link

Would like to hear sub boys comments on this if he feels the same way. Ive been reading a lot of reviews on the Quaife and to be fair nobody has mentioned the above before

I was actually looking at the Quaife diff

K_arlstrom any rough ideas as to how much this might be?
I've had quaife on other cars and it can pull you about a bit at times, this was a FWD car though, it's been better in my RWD Westfield. On FWD it would sometimes seesaw left and right as the torque was biasing each side in turn, getting worse until I came off the power. Not sure what that would be called, but I'd literally snake up the track on corner exit. Mid corner it was awesome though, I liked how it pulls you round the corner, cuts out any understeer, but I'm no racing driver, do for me it was much better.

Last edited by simGTR; 10th November 2018 at 09:28 AM..
simGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simGTR View Post
Is it just for a skyline? I'd be interested in one for a 996 turbo. Been considering one for a while, got to rebuild my box.
You can find Porsche in their current application list, Wavetrac® Differentials - Application List - 996 turbo seem to be part number 40.309.160WK

The seesawing is most likely from torque being transfered back and forth between the front wheels. I don't expect it to be felt as much on an AWD car, especially one thats primarily RWD.
Personally, I'm doing some sort of restomod and want the better technology when it's possible. Pretty much anything will be an improvement of the open differential but I like to do it once, and do it right

Also updated the original post with more information.

Last edited by K_arlstrom; 10th November 2018 at 10:04 AM..
Old 10th November 2018, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_arlstrom View Post
You can find Porsche in their current application list, Wavetrac® Differentials - Application List - 996 turbo seem to be part number 40.309.160WK

The seesawing is most likely from torque being transfered back and forth between the front wheels. I don't expect it to be felt as much on an AWD car, especially one thats primarily RWD.
Personally, I'm doing some sort of restomod and want the better technology when it's possible. Pretty much anything will be an improvement of the open differential but I like to do it once, and do it right

Also updated the original post with more information.
I know they do Porsche, I'm asking if I can use this group buy to purchase one!
Old 10th November 2018, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simGTR View Post
I know they do Porsche, I'm asking if I can use this group buy to purchase one!
Aaah, my bad. This is not that type of group buy, it's to show that they can sell enough skyline diffs to manufacture a small batch!

If we end up with 25 people who want to buy one for their RB, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can do anything on the price of their regular (unrelated) models. They might be in a good mood

Last edited by K_arlstrom; 10th November 2018 at 04:05 PM..