Getting my money back - advice - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By CSB
  • 2 Post By lightspeed
  • 4 Post By Red Duke
  • 1 Post By FRRACER
  • 3 Post By CSB

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th December 2018, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
CSB
CSB is hoping this thread doesn't get locked...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Angry Getting my money back - advice

Been a while since I logged on as I've been busy but hope you are all well.

I had a localish company give me a quote for some work that I wanted to be carried out in the loft (boarding, insulation, hatch and ladder). They seemed reputable and looked to have been around for a while. The guy came down and seemed to know what he was talking about, measured everything up. The total quote to be around over £3k but after some thinking I thought stuff it, I'll do the loft boarding insulation etc myself and just get the guy to enlarge the hatch and install a ladder which was £500.

He messages me a few days later to send a deposit of £150 to his personal account (red flag) so he could get the ladder ordered. Transferred that promptly and arranged a date for installation.

A couple of days before installation I call them up to confirm if its still going ahead. Lo and behold they slipped up and it got out that they hadn't ordered the ladder and said they will do it straight away so it will come next day.

Next day comes, I call up and they say it's still not here and they are using a new delivery company (red flag) and will chase up.

The weekend comes and goes (day that I arranged to have it installed) and tried to call them up. No answer. I have been trying to get in touch with them for the best part of a week now, email, text messages etc but no response.

Today I was working from home so thought I would pop down to their shop on my break but no one was there and it stated by appointment only. I posted a letter through the door stating to get in touch with me.

Alarm bells were already going off but when I put their company number in to the company register I could see that they applied to close the business down - before they quoted me and took my deposit.

Now I feel well mugged off. £150 is not a huge amount of money, and I hate to think how I'd feel if I paid a deposit to get the whole loft done but I feel so angry that people still go around doing this.

What are my options now? Considering that I paid to his personal account (I should've known then that this was dodgy) what can I do? I only know his name and company address which is registered to another name.

Should I just write it off?

IloveMiatas likes this.
Old 19th December 2018, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
lightspeed is Building a house
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
Yep right it off.
Too much grief sometimes to chase a...oles.

3 years later i’m still fixing stuff that the builders who built our house extension effed up.
£150 is chump change when it comes to houses.
Mookistar and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 19th December 2018, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
Registered

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
The next time you get a scam email from a "Nigerian business man", why not give him the builders bank details? No, it won't get your £150 back, but may be he'll lose more than that to someone else!

Old 20th December 2018, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Yeah lots of scammers in London.

https://www.419eater.com
IloveMiatas likes this.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
CSB
CSB is hoping this thread doesn't get locked...

Just an update, I contacted companies house soon after this thread. They required 'official' communication such as a letterhead but obviously I didn't have any as it was via text and calls. All that did was stall the process and I ended up giving them a scathing review on google.

A couple of days ago he decided to get in touch and 'try' to explain that it wasn't his fault and was the partners fault and he was taking over the company but it was all bs. Anyway I agreed to remove the review after he transferred me back the money, which he did.

Pocket change, but still.
Mookistar, Red Duke and Jags like this.
Old 5th April 2019, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenTaylor200 is aware he can edit his status

Cars owned: 527bhp 200SX
At least it got sorted

Could have gone via MCOL (small claims) - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome