Oil in coolant but not other way around?! - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Turbos
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th December 2018, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: R33 gtst
Oil in coolant but not other way around?!

Hi guys I thought I'd save this poser for Xmas eve lol...

Ok so a while back I found oil in my rad cap. First thought was "ah crap head gasket gone".. checked oil cap.. clean.. checked oil dipstick.. clean. Oil was dropped.. clean!!!

So the original oil modene was the culprit.. or at least thought. It was blanked off and an oil cooler was fitted. Oil and coolant temps seemed good. For a while. The engine was also flushed and cleaned of oil during fitment and a new rad fitted.
Car seemed to drive fine for good 6 months and plenty of blats about the local roads. Oil and coolant temps were a steady 80 to 90 deg.

The other week I drove my kid to school and came back.. the water temp shot to 110deg quickly. Managed to get it home 500metres later and shut down car. Lifted bonnet and there was steam under the plenum.. something squirting and squealing. I couldn't locate the source directly.. but the coolant level was very low.. barely any in the rad or expansion tank.

So plenum was pulled expecting to find a split coolant hose.. none of them split.. it's a new kit and is in good condition rated to very high temps.

My main thoughts are the coolant is escaping via a porous metal water line plenum side.. I'm pretty sure it runs to the turbos alongside boost lines too?

So I'm wondering has anyone else had an issue with this line? It doesn't seem to have any visible damage.

The other issue I'm wondering is would a busted CHRA in my turbos cause problems with oil getting into the coolant? (-5 turbos btw)

The worst case I'm thinking is head gasket or head warped but it seems to be ok and there's no Coolant in the engine block.. it's clean again and no Coolant in bottom end

So anyone got any thoughts on this? It seems really hard to diagnose and in all honesty I'm tempted to pull the turbos and assume they're duff and top mount. And pull the head and get it checked too. Just wondered if anyone has ideas on what to inspect before I go all out on this sodding car!

Ta and merry Xmas in advance all!
ant

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited by anthonymcgrath; 24th December 2018 at 04:50 PM..
anthonymcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Best option take the head off. My factory oil cooler or modene was cracked internally. What turned out to just a head off job turned into a full on rebuild lol. Take the head off and get every thing checked properly.
Old 24th December 2018, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
Best option take the head off. My factory oil cooler or modene was cracked internally. What turned out to just a head off job turned into a full on rebuild lol. Take the head off and get every thing checked properly.
Yeah I am tempted to pull the head tbh but gotta say if it's that I'll be pissed as it was just done inc new head gasket.
Most likely sod it off and get shut of the blasted thing.
I had the same issue early on the factory oil modene cracked Internally hence oil cooler.

Old 24th December 2018, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
David is unaware they can edit their status
Registered

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Silvia Spec R
If you have jets of steam in the engine bay I would hold off pulling the head off as the main issue is clearly external.

If it were mine I would fill it back up with water blank the radiator with some card and just idle it until it gets to a normal running temp whilst watching for leaks. When up to temp you should have coolant pressure and the jet should occur to allow you to find the leak.
anthonymcgrath likes this.
Old 24th December 2018, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If you have jets of steam in the engine bay I would hold off pulling the head off as the main issue is clearly external.

If it were mine I would fill it back up with water blank the radiator with some card and just idle it until it gets to a normal running temp whilst watching for leaks. When up to temp you should have coolant pressure and the jet should occur to allow you to find the leak.
Yep that makes sense. One thing I want to do is eliminate the heater core too.. I have a feeling that might have let go altho I haven't found wet passenger floor. But I want to take it out of the loop too..besides it needs pulling.. both that and the expansion tank are clogged with oil.. so they need a good scrub and clean.. rad too.

So basically I have two probs the escaping coolant which like you say I should be able to find.. and the oil getting into the cooling system. Bloody car won't gimme a chance lol