Target boost issue.. - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th February 2019, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jon Mer33 is busy modifying
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR
Post Target boost issue..

Currently experiencing low boost issues! (4.25 CBA, running ecutek)
I'm not too sure how long it's been going on if i'm honest, as it's not exactly slow but adjusting boost via the cruise control switch between 0.6 bar & 1.3 bar makes no difference on the actual boost reading, or power output, according to the MFD display.
I've checked over the usual pipes/couplings etc, nothing obvious found.
Other similar threads I've come across, show intercoolers that have split end tanks, however I would be surprised if this is the case as there is no evidence of any rough running or idling issues to accompany the symptoms.
I'm thinking it maybe the boost control solenoid that has failed, looks like a pig to get to if it has, or a major boost leak.
WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear reveals a peak boost of up to 0.7 then tailing off to 0.6.
Unfortunately I've no way of logging anything yet, can anyone recommend any other tests I could carry out?

Thanks
Jon
Old 27th February 2019, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Lightbulb ..

forgot to add, I've tried a basic battery off reset, fearing it may have been stuck in valet mode (but speed is not limited) or something daft like that & also tried it on the other fuel maps 95 & 97, made no difference
Old 27th February 2019, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
davew is loving the new club
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35,R34,R33,R32 and KGC10
Hi Jon

Think you need to go and have your map reflashed mate.

Old 27th February 2019, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Hi Dave, thanks for that, is this something that can get corrupted due to battery disconnection then??
Old 27th February 2019, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Get it logged and see what boost target is and what boost is achieved, also check wg duty cycle and obviously any loose hoses, if all that checks out you need to find someone with a smoke machine tester to pressure it up and find the leak.
Old 27th February 2019, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
davew is loving the new club
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35,R34,R33,R32 and KGC10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mer33 View Post
Hi Dave, thanks for that, is this something that can get corrupted due to battery disconnection then??
We have had a few in the body workshops with this issue that has been resolved but only after a reflash.
Old 27th February 2019, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
barry P. is fed up with all the politics and back stabbing in car clubs!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35, Evo IX GT, Evo II, Radical SR3, and a "Dancing Donkey".
It's well worth checking the intercooler, lots of oem end tanks split where they are crimped over. How old is the car?

"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine."
barry P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status

Just do a boost leak check, not hard, the snap on stuff works well if you know a local garage with the kit, or just buy a cheap kit and do yourself at home.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
We have had a few in the body workshops with this issue that has been resolved but only after a reflash.
Not doubting but I dont see how thats possible, a part of a map ie the boost cannot fall out of an ecu when the battery is disconnected its just not possible. Plus the original map is erased as part of the remap procedure.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
Get it logged and see what boost target is and what boost is achieved, also check wg duty cycle and obviously any loose hoses, if all that checks out you need to find someone with a smoke machine tester to pressure it up and find the leak.
Thanks dude, tonight I have doubled checked all the hoses, look ok.
What I did do however, is removed the pressure source to the boost control solenoid & blanked off, therefore in theory eliminating the boost control circuit. Went for a gentle drive & result is the same 0.6/0.7 of a bar, no difference at all. So I guess the likely hood is there is a large leak somewhere.
I do have a nice shiny pair of MY2017 intercoolers to fit, so I may just plod on & fit those anyway.
I presume I need an ecutek dongle or a like to create a log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry P. View Post
It's well worth checking the intercooler, lots of oem end tanks split where they are crimped over. How old is the car?
Yeah thanks Barry will check them out, it's a 2008 JDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skint View Post
Just do a boost leak check, not hard, the snap on stuff works well if you know a local garage with the kit, or just buy a cheap kit and do yourself at home.
No probs I will have a look into the kits, cheers
Old 27th February 2019, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mer33 View Post
Thanks dude, tonight I have doubled checked all the hoses, look ok.
What I did do however, is removed the pressure source to the boost control solenoid & blanked off, therefore in theory eliminating the boost control circuit. Went for a gentle drive & result is the same 0.6/0.7 of a bar, no difference at all. So I guess the likely hood is there is a large leak somewhere.
I do have a nice shiny pair of MY2017 intercoolers to fit, so I may just plod on & fit those anyway.
I presume I need an ecutek dongle or a like to create a log?

Yeah thanks Barry will check them out, it's a 2008 JDM.

No probs I will have a look into the kits, cheers
Snap on is around !k if you can get a deal, get a bluetooth dongle for around £150 you can log and activate different stuff with it especially in V7 but you cant input maps, or depending where you are im sure someone will log it for you, Im near Gatwick if its any help, take a few mins and you should know what problem is.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

I know you said you removed hose from solenoid but stupid question, you havent toggled the boost down to 0.7 bar have you ?
Old 27th February 2019, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
I know you said you removed hose from solenoid but stupid question, you havent toggled the boost down to 0.7 bar have you ?
No, left it set at 1.3 max. I'm in Gloucestershire, but thanks for the offer..
I will look out for an ecutek dongle, sure it will come in very useful
Old 3rd March 2019, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Unhappy ..

Decided to take the plunge and replace the intercoolers, I had some put a side.
Upshot is still have the problem, original intercoolers were showing signs of starting to part on the end tanks, so it wasn't a waste.
Guess I now need to do a boost leak test, been over all the hoses I can see, nothing appears out of place..
Old 4th March 2019, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
ACspeedtech is getting bigger and faster!
GTR Register Trader

Make sure you do an ECU reset even if it shows no codes.
If you've (for instance) unplugged a pre throttle sensor or have a fault with the solenoid, they disable the boost system and run wastegate duty (0.6-0.8 bar ish).
May be well worth getting a datalog of the three map sensors and the wastegate duty output to make sure the ecu can see all the right info and is trying to achieve the correct boost.

Email us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit us at: ACspeedtech, 3C Trident Ind.Park, Birchwood, WA3 6AX.

EcuTek MASTER Tuner - COBB PROtuner - 6T9 - KW suspension - SuperPro Bushes - OZ Racing - Millers Oils - AP Racing - Arai Helmets - Corbeau Seats - Luke Harnesses
ACspeedtech custom GR6 gearbox upgrades - GR6 transmission repairs and solutions
I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
ACspeedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACspeedtech View Post
Make sure you do an ECU reset even if it shows no codes.
If you've (for instance) unplugged a pre throttle sensor or have a fault with the solenoid, they disable the boost system and run wastegate duty (0.6-0.8 bar ish).
May be well worth getting a datalog of the three map sensors and the wastegate duty output to make sure the ecu can see all the right info and is trying to achieve the correct boost.
Thanks for the suggestions, will simply disconnecting the battery for 10 mins reset it or does it need to be reset with software.
I've got a boost leak tester to play with now, so hopefully that will determine any leaks. Following this I will try & find someone that can do a datalog..

Thanks
Jon
Old 5th March 2019, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member

Jon. I can read and reset codes for you if needed.

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Items for sale:
gtr mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 02:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr mart View Post
Jon. I can read and reset codes for you if needed.
Cheers Martin, may well take you up on that buddy
Old 8th March 2019, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

update: found a leak from the small hose on the N/S boost pipe to cam cover, repaired that. Borrowed an ECU reset tool, checked for codes nothing stored.
Reset the ECU anyway, still same result 0.6/0.7 bar max.
Very frustrating..

I guess I need to get a log done now to see whats going on, any one able to do this in Gloucestershire area?
Failing that it's booked in for a service on 21st..

Thanks
Jon
Old 9th March 2019, 09:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Litchfield's are just outside Tewkesbury, give them a call