Rusty rear sway bar and droplinks - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lordretsudo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th February 2019, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
lordretsudo is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 2010 R35 GT-R Black Edition M16, 2012 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro Black Edition, 1998 Audi A4 1.8t
Rusty rear sway bar and droplinks

I am preparing to do some work on my GTR next week to try to address the worst of the rust underneath. I'm going to rub everything down with wire brushes and then treat it all with POR 15 degreaser, rust treatment and then paint it with the POR 15 paint. I've used this once before and found it seemed to last extremely well if applied carefully and with good preparation.

I've removed the undertrays today to have a look at what needs doing and one thing that jumped out is that the rear sway bar and drop links are seriously rusty. The subframe itself doesn't look as bad as I was fearing, thankfully. Does anyone have any recommendations about replacing these? They don't look like they'll be too hard to remove, though the bolts are looking veeery rusty too... I know there are the Whiteline parts available; more expensive than I would ideally like but they do look nice!

If anyone has a spare shiny sway bar/droplinks they don't need, PM me :-)
Old 27th February 2019, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
barry P. is fed up with all the politics and back stabbing in car clubs!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35, Evo IX GT, Evo II, Radical SR3, and a "Dancing Donkey".
Take the anti roll bars off, get them sand blasted and then powder coated.

"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine."
barry P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cars owned: 2010 R35 GT-R Black Edition M16, 2012 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro Black Edition, 1998 Audi A4 1.8t
That was my first thought, I must admit. However, upon reading a little bit it sounds like changing the (extremely skinny) rear bar to a stronger one makes a big difference to handling. I don't track the car but it does get driven fast occasionally! I would appreciate any comments from people who've changed them from OEM to something else.

Old 27th February 2019, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status

I’ve blasted and coated some Gtr bits and 12 months later it was well and truly back.
Old 27th February 2019, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
simGTR is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

I stripped mine and powder coated. I thought about just replacing it, but I'm only road driving and get no where near the limits. However, I replaced all my drop links with new.

I also stripped out the bracketry in the rear and powder coated the lot, all the hangers for the under trays mostly.

I thought about doing what you're doing, but I've bought sub frames and powder coated them too, just need to swap them out
Old 27th February 2019, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would ideally like to get the subframes powder coated, but I would like to do the work myself and don't much fancy the thought of removing them... I was also going to either replace or get all the hangers powder coated as they looked super rusty.

Did you just get OEM drop links? Any idea on rough price? And did you bother to get them powder coated before fitting them? Oh, and did you bother replacing the bushes on the sway bar?

Last edited by lordretsudo; 27th February 2019 at 08:09 PM..
lordretsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Whiteline will rust quicker than Nissan, absolute shite, go Superpro or Eibach and you will still be amazed how skinny the rear bar is !!!
Old 28th February 2019, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordretsudo View Post
I would ideally like to get the subframes powder coated, but I would like to do the work myself and don't much fancy the thought of removing them... I was also going to either replace or get all the hangers powder coated as they looked super rusty.

Did you just get OEM drop links? Any idea on rough price? And did you bother to get them powder coated before fitting them? Oh, and did you bother replacing the bushes on the sway bar?
Mine were fine. You just inspect and replace as necessary.

I did the whole front end bracketry too, even removed the riveted sections and bought the same tri-split rivets. All my non structural fasteners are stainless. One thing to look at is the bracket holding on the side blades to the rear undertrays. Mine were toffee. Also the brake cable hangers over the hubs on all 4 corners.

New identical 8mm plastic rivets are available on eBay, about £5 for 50 or so, the ones for the rear valance, 10mm I believe are cheap too. Don't mess about trying to refit old ones.

As for buying new brackets, don't bother. I had two replaced at a service in June, I used the car in July, parked it up till December (I work overseas) and they were rusty when I got underneath, still had the Nissan stock labels on!

Get them blasted and powder coated. There are chemical dips for the subframes, I got quoted about £90+vat. See my rusty thread.

Only brackets I replaced where the actual exhaust mounts, but the mounts for the mounts were powdercoated.

Last edited by simGTR; 28th February 2019 at 11:39 AM..
simGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

£6 for 100

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223274107139
Old 28th February 2019, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simGTR View Post
Mine were fine. You just inspect and replace as necessary.

I did the whole front end bracketry too, even removed the riveted sections and bought the same tri-split rivets. All my non structural fasteners are stainless. One thing to look at is the bracket holding on the side blades to the rear undertrays. Mine were toffee. Also the brake cable hangers over the hubs on all 4 corners.

New identical 8mm plastic rivets are available on eBay, about £5 for 50 or so, the ones for the rear valance, 10mm I believe are cheap too. Don't mess about trying to refit old ones.

As for buying new brackets, don't bother. I had two replaced at a service in June, I used the car in July, parked it up till December (I work overseas) and they were rusty when I got underneath, still had the Nissan stock labels on!

Get them blasted and powder coated. There are chemical dips for the subframes, I got quoted about £90+vat. See my rusty thread.

Only brackets I replaced where the actual exhaust mounts, but the mounts for the mounts were powdercoated.
Thanks for taking the time to give me all that useful info. I was wondering where to get those plastic rivet things, as several were badly damaged on the bit where the rear undertray joins the bumper - and now I know!
simGTR likes this.
Old 28th February 2019, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordretsudo View Post
Thanks for taking the time to give me all that useful info. I was wondering where to get those plastic rivet things, as several were badly damaged on the bit where the rear undertray joins the bumper - and now I know!
I got some replaced on a service, think they were about £3.50 each from Nissan! The ebay ones are identical.

There's a few different ones, but I was able to match them all up on eBay and buy a bunch of each.

I've also bought a galvanising kit and redid a load of the important structural fasteners and brackets. I can't get it shiny like the pros, bit they're better than brown!
Old 1st March 2019, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had to drill out a couple of the nutserts as they weren't needed.
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: GTS-T series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
Whiteline will rust quicker than Nissan, absolute shite, go Superpro or Eibach and you will still be amazed how skinny the rear bar is !!!
I'm glad you mentioned Whiteline rusting, nearly as bad as the Ikeya bits on mine.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

For anyone who's interested this was eventually resolved by drilling the bolt out and tapping a new thread. Most of the places near me didn't want to look at it, ended up doing it with a friend who has a nifty right angle drill which made life a lot easier.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Not convinced by POR15 due to recent experiences....

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Silverstone Classics. OMG look at the cars we’ve got coming...from Hako to MY20 Nismo!
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote