Exterior LED lights - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Chatter
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
kaywa is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Exterior LED lights

Anyone know if it’s illegal to have coloured LED lights fitted to car exterior in the UK?
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

I understand its the brightness of the lights and whether they are a hazard to other road users that can cause problems. Also blue lights that flash are bound to be risky, for the obvious reasons. But you can have coloured LED lights, most 3rd brake lights are already. I've previously had neon underlights (multi-colours) and no problem with using them. LED puddle lights seem to be OK too.
Old 5th March 2019, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaywa View Post
Anyone know if it's illegal to have coloured LED lights fitted to car exterior in the UK?
AFAIK you cannot display blue or green lights (reserved for blue light services and green for doctors on call). You can display white at the front, red at the back and amber/orange on the sides (maybe front/rear too not sure). Again I believe that the amber lights must be solid (i.e. not flashing) otherwise they are turn signals/hazard warning lights. You are not supposed to be in motion with hazard lights being displayed.

Only exception I can think of is being required to display a white light at the back when reserving.

Hope that this helps.

Old 9th March 2019, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
kaywa is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaywa View Post
Anyone know if it's illegal to have coloured LED lights fitted to car exterior in the UK?
AFAIK you cannot display blue or green lights (reserved for blue light services and green for doctors on call). You can display white at the front, red at the back and amber/orange on the sides (maybe front/rear too not sure). Again I believe that the amber lights must be solid (i.e. not flashing) otherwise they are turn signals/hazard warning lights. You are not supposed to be in motion with hazard lights being displayed.

Only exception I can think of is being required to display a white light at the back when reserving.

Hope that this helps.
Thanks folks flashing blue lights very tempting although I know against law. I was thinking a fitting leds backlighting to front grill area - I dunno
Old 3rd May 2019, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
OhhEnnEmm is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

You can get LED sets on eBay that are remote controlled so you can change to whatever colour you like... So when the feds sod off just switch to blue flashing then
Old 27th May 2019, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
firem is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhEnnEmm View Post
You can get LED sets on eBay that are remote controlled so you can change to whatever colour you like... So when the feds sod off just switch to blue flashing then
Not when they've already seen it. I am in Canada now, but in the UK I had a bad time with the cops when they pulled me over.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
samwoodblack is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Buy with switching colors