Am I the only one who hates new cars? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Am I the only one who hates new cars?

My opinion. I was watching the Grand Tour a couple of days ago where the trio drove an Aston Martin DBS, BMW 850i, and the Bentley. The Aston and Bimmer both looked appalling I was just blown away at how the styling of the cars just got bland and it made me realize that new cars suck ass.

How could they go from something like this: https://imgur.com/a/qy9Fr1w

To this?: https://imgur.com/a/1ym043B

Or from this: https://imgur.com/a/cEx1400

To this?: https://imgur.com/a/FirIzTv

I'm just disappointed in the way cars are becoming. People seem to care only about the infotainment system and the 0 to 60 times instead of the overall car. Plus it has to be safe for the dumb ass cyclists who get in the way of the car to be safe. I've been in a lot of new cars and I despised of them. It seems most new cars are aimed at women or pussified men who need seat warmers to warm their pu**ies. New cars are also a PITA to work on since manufacturers do the complications on purpose so you can take your wallet to their stealership. And I f*cking hate the keyless FOBs we have now!

Furthermore, the new Supra looks ugly as hell and is a BMW. Speaking of BMW, the 850i really bothered me the most. I've got a sweet spot for old BMWs and the downfall of BMW started when Chris Bangle designed the new BMW models like the E60 E65 and the E90 range The pinnacle of BMW was with the beautiful E38, E39, and E46, anything after those 3 is shit.

All honesty though, I'd say early 2010s was the mark where cars went downhill. I haven't had a favorite new car in years and that is just sad. The newest car I'll ever have is the G37 I drive which is a 2010, it's got a good balance of driver orientated with a little bit of technology mainly the screen.

Just a rant I want to post on an online forum onto the face of the internet where my opinion doesn't really matter at all.
K66 SKY, xxfr, Shaks_247 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by G-Zilla; 23rd March 2019 at 07:24 PM..
G-Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
simGTR is unaware they can edit their status

Hmm, not so sure. Depends what you want.

I like my CBA because it's hard and raw and mechanical, I don't like the idea of a quieter, more refined and comfortable sports car, but then I don't drive it daily.

I bought the wife an M135i, it's really nice, the auto box is smooth, it's quiet, comfortable and not too big, heated seats, directional lights, good nav. Our third is on the way this year so looking to chop it in, thinking of an M3, but the rear seats of the RS6 (2015) looks better for 3 car seats. I then saw the S6, the 2017 is slightly cheaper, probably just as quick with better nav and the lovely looking virtual cockpit.

I also need reliability for my wife and 3 small children. The newer car I think will trump the older one here....

Still looking....
IloveMiatas likes this.
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

I wouldn't say I hate new cars, but I do feel like its all about having the latest gizmo features (infotainment) and not a lot to do with driving pleasure. Progress on the latter seems a lot slower than the electronic upgrades. Some of the styling also seems to be very "samey" as well and I'm not a fan of playing engine sounds through the car speakers - that's proper naff full stop
K66 SKY, G-Zilla and IloveMiatas like this.

Old 24th March 2019, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Love new cars. Won’t ever own anything Old again.
Old 24th March 2019, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Zilla View Post
The Aston and Bimmer both looked appalling
Yeah, To me the brand new Aston Martin V8 Vantage looks like a Mazda MX-5 Coupé!

Quote:
I'm just disappointed in the way cars are becoming. People seem to care only about the infotainment system and the 0 to 60 times instead of the overall car. Plus it has to be safe for the dumb ass cyclists who get in the way of the car to be safe. I've been in a lot of new cars and I despised of them. It seems most new cars are aimed at women or pussified men who need seat warmers to warm their pu55ies.
I've felt like this for years G-Zilla. So many comfy and safety gadgets are fitted to modern vehicles that it takes little or no skill to control them, Even the poorest of Drivers now thinks they're as good as Schumacher or Senna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simGTR View Post
I bought the wife an M135i, it's really nice, the auto box is smooth, it's quiet, comfortable and not too big, heated seats, directional lights, good nav.
This is the other problem I have with performance car manufacturers today. Gone is the time when true M-Power Cars are the limited number top of the range lairy manual specials which are difficult to drive and only for the true die hard hairy chested enthusiasts of the breed to Own! Its all been diluted and watered down almost into utter insignificance as more desirable to the average folk M styling, M trim level or M inspired fuel efficient Planet saving tree hugging lesser models take over the entire BMW marketplace.

I'd honestly be a multi millionaire if I had a fiver for every diesel M trim level BMW Owner whose tried telling me that their rare and exclusive vehicle is just as good as the real M3's/M5's etc, etc....
MS33, G-Zilla and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 24th March 2019, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K66 SKY View Post
Yeah, To me the brand new Aston Martin V8 Vantage looks like a Mazda MX-5 Coupé!

I've felt like this for years G-Zilla. So many comfy and safety gadgets are fitted to modern vehicles that it takes little or no skill to control them, Even the poorest of Drivers now thinks they're as good as Schumacher or Senna!

This is the other problem I have with performance car manufacturers today. Gone is the time when true M-Power Cars are the limited number top of the range lairy manual specials which are difficult to drive and only for the true die hard hairy chested enthusiasts of the breed to Own! Its all been diluted and watered down almost into utter insignificance as more desirable to the average folk M styling, M trim level or M inspired fuel efficient Planet saving tree hugging lesser models take over the entire BMW marketplace.

I'd honestly be a multi millionaire if I had a fiver for every diesel M trim level BMW Owner whose tried telling me that their rare and exclusive vehicle is just as good as the real M3's/M5's etc, etc....

Nailed it right on the head, K66. I hate hate hate how all new BMWs like putting the M badges on every single panel of the car to show it's "pedigree." God damn, the E60 M5 started that whole bull shit with the excessive necessity of M badges. If I had to choose between an E28 M5 or the brand new M5 that was released not too long ago, I'd go with the E28. That is a real BMW, not the eco sh*t boxes that they're making it. Now, people buy it because of the badge. I've been lurking through some of the Bimmer forums and seems that there is a big divide between the old BMWs (before Bangle era cars) and new BMWs.

Mercedes and Audis are sh*t too (sorry, I'm and old school Bimmer fan boy I admit), with those exhausts that burble but have no power to prove their speed, and if they do have power the Schumacher driver almost always makes a mistake on the road's proving grounds even with the electronic nannies that are present to keep their little p*ssies safe.

Just give me a car with a good engine, manual transmission, and exhaust note. The other amenities can be for later.
K66 SKY and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 24th March 2019, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
What's the point of 400bhp or 500bhp if you just spin it away on your rear wheels....

Quote:
I've been lurking through some of the Bimmer forums and seems that there is a big divide between the old BMWs (before Bangle era cars) and new BMWs.
What's also shocking is how something like the much unloved old E36 M3 can still keep pace with the new batch of way more powerful modern M-Power cars! Is that really Progress??
G-Zilla and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 24th March 2019, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K66 SKY View Post
What's also shocking is how something like the much unloved old E36 M3 can still keep pace with the new batch of way more powerful modern M-Power cars! Is that really Progress??
Yeah I will admit I don't like the E36 as much either, but I'd take the E36 instead of the newer Bimmers. Also the E34 M5s are kicking new BMWs ass too. I saw an E46 M3 give a Tesla s a run for it's money at one of the tracks (not straight lined drag track), just proves that the 0-60 times really don't matter on a curvy track with chicanes. If I had an LS swapped silver or maybe a sterling grey E39, I'd be a happy gentleman. Something like this swap with the OEM exhaust to keep the noise levels down since it'd be a good daily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QHtaaReMw
IloveMiatas likes this.

Last edited by G-Zilla; 24th March 2019 at 11:33 PM..
G-Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage

Okay, so I saw the new Aston Martins in person. Let me tell you guys something. It looks uglier in person than it does in the photos. God have mercy, the new cars are just getting worse by the day.

I also saw a new Ford GT back in 2017, and why did they ruin the car with a V6 ecoboost? Those engines are only good for the trucks, other than that it sucks ass and sounds like ass. I swear, these environmental stuff are ruining cars.
Old 3rd July 2019, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Giò is unaware they can edit their status

"new" and "old" have very personal meanings ... I met people who think they are old cars of 2014/2015.
Personally I do not excite the recent models ... More than the models all that for many is now essential ... So yes to a modern car but with the right engine and without too many things that I consider superfluous.
Old 4th July 2019, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
R34SKYGTR is .

new super cars are so competent and fast its unreal, but there is always something magical about an old classic that new cars don't have.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Porsche 997 Turbo, U.K. R34 GTR V-spec Black, New Smart
I think Old cars are better for fun and rawness and new cars are soft and fluffy and serve a daily drive purpose. I'll be honest in this day and age of being a driver on the heavily populated roads I do really appreciate the soft and fluffy cars for most of the time as they seem to block out the stress of the traffic. Then when I'm bored the r34 comes out to play but it must take me a day to get over it as its so noisy LOL
Shaks_247 and jnoor like this.
Old 4th July 2019, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRNICK View Post
I think Old cars are better for fun and rawness and new cars are soft and fluffy and serve a daily drive purpose. I'll be honest in this day and age of being a driver on the heavily populated roads I do really appreciate the soft and fluffy cars for most of the time as they seem to block out the stress of the traffic. Then when I'm bored the r34 comes out to play but it must take me a day to get over it as its so noisy LOL
I feel the exact same way as Nick. Living in London the "soft and fluffy" cars really do help separate you from all the stress. I'm not particularly good at coping with long car journeys and my old car without all the comfort and gizmos really used to exhaust and drain me, leaving me shattered.

I remember working at JLR and having a brand new XJS for a few weeks and my God that made long journeys feel like nothing, and knowing you had good power on tap to use at your discretion just made the whole "new car" experience incredible.

R34SKY's right about new supercars being competent and fast, but I think it also applies for all the new sports cars. New cars at any power level utilise their power so well.

But old cars really are something else, they make your senses fizz and tingle. Temporarily that's fantastic but long term, not so much.
GTRNICK likes this.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage

Automatic/DCT/Flappy paddles transmissions are the only types of transmissions you can find in new super cars. They're crap. I don't give a shit about the lap time, I want a good drive. Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Murcielago, Lamborghini Diablo, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Enzo (I know they didn't sell it manual but one of the sexiest Ferraris ever made), Ford GT, God damn I miss the old days. And I'm a lot younger than most of your, probably half the age of most you guys, but the new cars being put out are just so pussified.
TJB likes this.
Old 5th July 2019, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site

Quote:
Automatic/DCT/Flappy paddles transmissions are the only types of transmissions you can find in new super cars. They're crap. I don't give a shit about the lap time, I want a good drive. Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Murcielago, Lamborghini Diablo, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Enzo (I know they didn't sell it manual but one of the sexiest Ferraris ever made), Ford GT, God damn I miss the old days. And I'm a lot younger than most of your, probably half the age of most you guys, but the new cars being put out are just so pussified.
Disagree, as much as I love a manual and the engagement it allows a driver to have, autoboxes are amazing.

The ZF 8 speeds are a thing of beauty when it comes to seamless shifts, especially in a car which a little power under its belt. That Jaguar XFS I has was an absolute beast off the traffic lights. I drove a C63S a few weeks ago and that took things to another level, it was intoxicating - power is one thing but power with a proper auto is something else.

Hell, I daily drive a VW Golf with a DSG gearbox and I can tell you, in the morning jumping in, pulling out from a parked position and accelerating along the straight bit of road I live on is one of the most satisfying feelings I get. Those first few seconds really start the day off right.

Both manual and auto have their perks. Imo, manuals give you that engagement and full sense of control, it melds man with the machine. Auto alleviates some of the responsibility and properly allows you to focus on the road and the car.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage

Autos aren't bad. I drive one too. Engaging? No. Fun? Sometimes. I feel that a driver should harness the power of a vehicle and learn to control it's RPM and speed with engagement, rather than having a computer do it for us. I'm thinking of swapping my transmission to a manual, but resources are limited since nobody (as far as I've searched through the internet) has done one for an Infiniti G37.

I feel that if there were more manuals, there would be less bad drivers. And there would also be less accidents from focusing on phones. Cars are just getting too much power that isn't useable accompanied by bad drivers.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
xxfr is hibernating
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

R34 GTR, all day everyday, hands down.
Old 8th July 2019, 07:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Juucso is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

I like some of the new cars. Some of the new lambos are not sceaming "look at me" like the Countach did back in the late 70's - early 80's and I think that is a shame. But after all, is it a bad thing that new cars look like they're.. Well, new? A90 Supra looks freaking amazing to my eye. So much stuff that are easy to replace with aftermarket parts! Trunk is already been made sturdy enough for aftermarket GT-wing and Toyota invited some big name aftermarket parts companies to the shop to look at the car for some possible future upgrades. Sounds like a perfect future tuner car to me.
Old 10th July 2019, 06:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juucso View Post
A90 Supra looks freaking amazing to my eye.
You need to go see an eye doctor if you think that new Supra looks good Just f*cking with you man. I am not a huge Toyota follower, but the Mk IV is probably the sexiest of the lot, following the Mk III. The new one is just ruined by BMW and looks butt ugly. The rear looks good, but the features are "squeezed out" of the body. I don't care about the specs and power of it, I want a Japanese car. Not a German rebadged car.
Old 10th July 2019, 07:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Juucso is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
You need to go see an eye doctor if you think that new Supra looks good Just f*cking with you man. I am not a huge Toyota follower, but the Mk IV is probably the sexiest of the lot, following the Mk III. The new one is just ruined by BMW and looks butt ugly. The rear looks good, but the features are "squeezed out" of the body. I don't care about the specs and power of it, I want a Japanese car. Not a German rebadged car.

I get what you're saying, but without BMW there would not be a new Supra.
In my honest opinion, if it would have been called FT-1 just like the concept one, people would like it more.

For me the only bad thing about it is the no manual optio. I like automatics, but they take some of the driving feeling away from me, no matter how fast the change is or how easy it is to drive.

I see a lot of potential in the A90. Keen to see what people start doing with them!