R35 - Mixing Front and Rear pads? Stoptech 309 & RS29 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th March 2019, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
smoggy12345 is a proud owner of a Stage 2 09 GT-R!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

R35 - Mixing Front and Rear pads? Stoptech 309 & RS29

Sooooooo...

My Rear pads are just about done, problem is my fronts are still about 50%

Pads on at the moment are RS29's and seeing as I don't track my car I went for a cheaper option, the Stoptech 309s.

I've bought both front and rear Stoptech 309 pads but I'd don't want to waste half of the front pads considering the RS29s are like £500 a pair and on top of that when I change the front pads the Discs also will need doing....and also need rear tyres....as well as a host of other things i'm having done at the moment the bills are in the thousands just now.

Ideally I'd like to split this cost over a few month so was wondering if it's possible just to change the rear pads at the moment and keep the front discs and pads as is for another few thousand miles? Then foot that bill later?

Also I'd like to hear any experience of the Stoptechs?

Thanks,

Dean.
Old 26th March 2019, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
I've Nissan OEM on the rear and Ferodo DS2500 on the fronts. When I was advised to change the fronts (by ACSpeedTech when it was in for a service) there was never any mention of changing the rears at the same time.

And as most of the braking force is at the front, the fronts are bound to wear out faster than the rears anyway and I've never heard of anyone saying you should always change all 4 at the same time before.
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

It's OK to change rear pads and keep front pads. At my last service I was advised my rear discs had a lip and to replace just the discs and pads on the rear only. I'm running Pagid RS29's front and Nissan OEM's rear.

Old 26th March 2019, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
PaulH0070 is normally cleaning, sometimes driving
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Look at a lot of 30k mile cars and they'll have a change of front discs and pads with the original Brembos on the rear. No issues at all with it.

My car came with new Alcon front and Cosworth pads, the rear pads were changed not long after for new Brembo (on the old disc) was spreading the cost like yourself as the rear discs will be good for a while yet.
Old 27th March 2019, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
motors is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoggy12345 View Post
Sooooooo...

My Rear pads are just about done, problem is my fronts are still about 50%

Pads on at the moment are RS29's and seeing as I don't track my car I went for a cheaper option, the Stoptech 309s.

I've bought both front and rear Stoptech 309 pads but I'd don't want to waste half of the front pads considering the RS29s are like £500 a pair and on top of that when I change the front pads the Discs also will need doing....and also need rear tyres....as well as a host of other things i'm having done at the moment the bills are in the thousands just now.

Ideally I'd like to split this cost over a few month so was wondering if it's possible just to change the rear pads at the moment and keep the front discs and pads as is for another few thousand miles? Then foot that bill later?

Also I'd like to hear any experience of the Stoptechs?

Thanks,

Dean.
Got used set of 29's if your interested
Old 28th March 2019, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
smoggy12345 is a proud owner of a Stage 2 09 GT-R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motors View Post
Got used set of 29's if your interested

No aleady bought new pads, sorry