New cars speed limit restricted by 2022, the end of the sports/super car?? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree34Likes
  • 1 Post By Chronos
  • 1 Post By R34SKYGTR
  • 2 Post By Typhoon
  • 1 Post By Jontte
  • 10 Post By Trev
  • 5 Post By moleman
  • 2 Post By K66 SKY
  • 3 Post By GTRNICK
  • 3 Post By anthonymcgrath
  • 3 Post By Trev
  • 3 Post By Mr.B

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th March 2019, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
New cars speed limit sign restricted by 2022, the end of the sports/super car??

So,

New cars from 2022 to be speed limit sign limited.. is this the end of the new sport/super car in the UK? No point in buying a new one after then really..?

I wonder what the manufacturers will do?

https://news.sky.com/story/speed-lim...years-11676172

"All new cars will be fitted with speed limiters from 2022 under tough EU safety rules. The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it."

"The rules are expected to be given the go-ahead by the EU but cars driven in the UK are likely to be included after Brexit too."

"New rules are due this year which would see cars fitted with speed-limiting devices.

From 2022, new cars, vans, lorries and buses sold in Europe could be fitted with more than a dozen new safety features including the technology which slows a vehicle down if it is travelling too fast.

Intelligent speed assistance (ISA) uses a speed sign recognition camera and GPS-linked speed limit data to automatically limit the speed of the vehicle.

The system does not apply the brakes but instead limits engine power, although drivers can override it by pushing hard on the accelerator, an action that will prompt an alert from the system.

The measures were first announced by the European Commission last year but after talks in Strasbourg on Monday night, they look set to be given the go-ahead by EU member states in September."

IloveMiatas likes this.
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads

Last edited by Chronos; 27th March 2019 at 01:16 PM..
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
R34SKYGTR is .
New Users

This will be the death of all new performance cars.
Older classics will get some redemption but I fear they will keep changing emissions laws and taxes to make these cars expensive to run
IloveMiatas likes this.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Typhoon is TH1slowGTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 1991 R32 GTR
people with just get the speed limiter written out in a tune. most cars are fitted with a speed limiter from the factory anyway. I know the STi is, but most aftermarket tunes turn that off anyway.

Not really a big deal I don't think, I wouldn't worry about it.
Lestat2369 and IloveMiatas like this.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th March 2019, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jontte is rebuilding rb26dett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
people with just get the speed limiter written out in a tune. most cars are fitted with a speed limiter from the factory anyway. I know the STi is, but most aftermarket tunes turn that off anyway.

Lets hope it does not come out as law, it's going to be probably illegal to do that.

At least in Finland, fines and sanctions which includes cars/motorbikes & speed can be extremely expensive.

Probably it doesn't come out as law 1st, so people take it more easy.
And they change it to law bit later..
IloveMiatas likes this.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post

Please.

Don’t be a government controlled, blind fool.

Remove this and it will flag you up, invalidating your car insurance to boot.

Expect fines every time you “exceed” the limiter, this system is implemented to control people and their driving - fining anyone who dares to defy their BS agenda.

I’m sure we are living in an alternative Matrix style reality more and more every year.

I see human thought process, feelings, passions, replaced by controlling behaviours, allowing unelected EU government to tell us more and more how to drive, use a cashless system, use robot tills and not interact with people and the like.

There is a massive bigger picture here people.
Old 27th March 2019, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
moleman is veteren Bongard Club
Real men use a H-Pattern.

Unbelievable!

I think that if this happens the UK should probably have some kind of referendum to leave the EU or something.
Simonh, Trev, Snooze and 2 others like this.
moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2019, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
I see human thought process, feelings, passions, replaced by controlling behaviours, allowing unelected EU government to tell us more and more how to drive, use a cashless system, use robot tills and not interact with people and the like.

Bang on the money there Trev!

Today's Youths of Car Driving age are already not as interested in Vehicles like we once were. More nanny state bureaucracy, removal of freedoms and intrusive Government legislation is the last thing we need in Our Society, I'm 100% sure now the powers that be are trying their best to absolutely kill off the Motor Industry!
Trev and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 30th March 2019, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin
New Users

Cars owned: Porsche 997 Turbo, U.K. R34 GTR V-spec Black, New Smart
Quote:
Please.

Don’t be a government controlled, blind fool.

Remove this and it will flag you up, invalidating your car insurance to boot.

Expect fines every time you “exceed” the limiter, this system is implemented to control people and their driving - fining anyone who dares to defy their BS agenda.

I’m sure we are living in an alternative Matrix style reality more and more every year.

Someone is on the ball I like it.

I’m sure we will find ways around it. There always has to be loopholes for the mega rich to succeed.
Trev, V-SpecII and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 31st March 2019, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: R33 gtst
Ford said a few years ago "we no longer sell cars we want to sell transport".

This is the beginning and the gov regs are busy being put in place.. pretty soon you'll pay to have a carriage that picks you up and drops you off and in the rest of the day drives round doing the same for others. It won't be something you have on your drive and get to have a bit of fun polishing it or changing brake pads. It won't be something you can climb in at a panic at 2am.. it'll basically be a faceless uber.. FUBER !!!

Motoring is a depressing future.. basically gov and companies just want to place ppl in finance bubbles they insure and tax and mot but never really own.. kinda like a lease lol.. next step is ensuring they don't drive it because tablet.. internet.. social media.. never ever EVER stop looking up from your screen.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Trev, K66 SKY and IloveMiatas like this.
Old 31st March 2019, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath View Post
Ford said a few years ago "we no longer sell cars we want to sell transport".

This is the beginning and the gov regs are busy being put in place.. pretty soon you'll pay to have a carriage that picks you up and drops you off and in the rest of the day drives round doing the same for others. It won't be something you have on your drive and get to have a bit of fun polishing it or changing brake pads. It won't be something you can climb in at a panic at 2am.. it'll basically be a faceless uber.. FUBER !!!

Motoring is a depressing future.. basically gov and companies just want to place ppl in finance bubbles they insure and tax and mot but never really own.. kinda like a lease lol.. next step is ensuring they don't drive it because tablet.. internet.. social media.. never ever EVER stop looking up from your screen.

Yep.

Shared ownership of houses too - no longer do they want people owning anything, just lease, lease, lease!
Old 4th April 2019, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: R33 gtst
Quote:
Yep.

Shared ownership of houses too - no longer do they want people owning anything, just lease, lease, lease!
Agreed. We recently went to see some new build houses.. they looked nice but they were over priced. But to inexperienced buyers like young first timers they look attractive because there are schemes in place to cover 50%of the cost.. at least for the first five years.. then you need to find the other 50% somehow.
Between that and debt renewal on a car every few years it's no wonder people are struggling. Even food recently took a spike up on even the smallest things.

Old 6th April 2019, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25

Location tracking needs a persons consent for it to be legal so they’ll have to change UK privacy laws if they want to introduce this. I think they’ll be a lot of opposition as it also introduces at lot of safety and security risks.

If it does get in then we just need someone to hack the system so you appear to be driving like Miss Daisy