Golf R - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Off Topic > Other Marques
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CT17

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th April 2019, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cal3533 is Broke :(
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Golf R

So Bought a Golf R the other weekend. Was surprised to have it on a flatbed AA truck going back to the dealer after 20 miles of ownership.

Most likely the turbo went on it. considering the A69 was covered in smoke!

Full refund from the dealer. Back to the drawing board for another car.

Suggestions?

Cal3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
Administrator

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Oh dear that's a shame, I got taken round Silverstone in a Golf R by Papa Smurf and it was great fun!!

How many miles did that one have on it?

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Welsh weekend in November
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigmr2 View Post
Oh dear that's a shame, I got taken round Silverstone in a Golf R by Papa Smurf and it was great fun!!

How many miles did that one have on it?
Rolled onto 20900 just as it threw its fit. Shame really. Had a right fight with the dealer to get the money back

I've drove a couple of them and they're a decent daily with a good bit of spec inside. Was tempted to stretch the budget up and go for a MY09 GT-R instead but thought the golf would have been a more suitable daily.
Old 5th April 2019, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
New Users

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Can't go wrong with another decent Golf R Mk 7.5. So rare to hear of problems so don't let it put you off.
Old 7th April 2019, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
RichardGWhite is smiling a lot
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR, Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
Can't go wrong with another decent Golf R Mk 7.5. So rare to hear of problems so don't let it put you off.
I agree. After using my R35 as a daily for the first year of ownership, I decided that poor winter weather and a sometimes mundane (slow and congested) commute was just too unsatisfying. So I managed to twist my Partnerís arm to take out a 2 year lease on a Golf R, which because she works from home most of the time means I get to use it much of the time, whilst the R35 stays nice and dry and comes out when only when I really want it. The best bit about the 7.5 Golf, apart from its all round comfort and capabilty, is the DSG upshift farts at the redline. Iím really sorry Officer, but itís quite addictive.....
Old 11th April 2019, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
There are so many good dailys out there.
You really are spoilt for choice.

The Golf R is good.
I've also had a Focus RS (newer one), Fiesta ST and currently on a Swift Sport.
All of which I've liked.

The swift is 140bhp, sub 1000kg and a 5 door.
Nippy, LED lights and adaptive cruise as standard for around £16k brand new after a little haggle and does 45-50mpg.
Ideal for the commute.

Leaving an R35 or other nice car for occasional use always makes it feel more special.
RichardGWhite likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT17 View Post
There are so many good dailys out there.
You really are spoilt for choice.

The Golf R is good.
I've also had a Focus RS (newer one), Fiesta ST and currently on a Swift Sport.
All of which I've liked.

The swift is 140bhp, sub 1000kg and a 5 door.
Nippy, LED lights and adaptive cruise as standard for around £16k brand new after a little haggle and does 45-50mpg.
Ideal for the commute.

Leaving an R35 or other nice car for occasional use always makes it feel more special.
Indeed it's a big market and it took me long enough to find the right spec'd R.

The Focus RS has popped into my mind. I've owned Ford's before and no doubt I will enjoy one just as much as the others i've owned. Think i'm gonna have to get some test drives booked
Old 11th April 2019, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site
New Users

Why was the dealer making an issue on you wanting a refund?
Old 13th April 2019, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoor View Post
Why was the dealer making an issue on you wanting a refund?
They never really gave a believable answer. One minute it was the accountant taking his time, The next answer was, they weren't allowed to refund it due to there policies and procedures. It kept changing each time I rang up asking for an update. Annoyed me more to the fact it wasn't just 1K deposit and the rest on finance, I bought the car outright.. So had quite a bit of money tied up in the car.

In the end I got it all back. Thankfully!
Old 30th October 2019, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
IanJ is looking for the right one !
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Golf R is rather dull, the clubsport is way better with a good map and will easily outpace the R once rolling
Avoid the RS mk3 !!!! underpowered and as soon as you up the power then you risk the head gasket issue - probably is standard form as well, had one for 2 months and sold -
RS Mk2 much better but getting a bit old now.
Old 30th October 2019, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
My Golf R is certainly not dull
Old 30th October 2019, 11:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
My Golf R is certainly not dull
sorry - then we beg to differ on this,
The early ones are known to have a weak turbo, and any power increase can see this fail,
The seat are ! well I found basic and uncomfortable, and not a patch on the recaro's in the clubsport, and the DSG box made the driving rather boring and not the best auto box out there.
With a 450 map on they are better but still no match for the 400hp clubsport around a track.
And the resale values on them with all the PCP ones coming back to the dealers now are just upsetting
Maybe yours is modded and has better brakes and suspension ? I'd be interested to know, we sold ours very quickly as it was disappointing coming from big power RS Mk2's and Subaru Hatches,

Last edited by IanJ; 30th October 2019 at 11:37 AM..
IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
sorry - then we beg to differ on this,
The early ones are known to have a weak turbo, and any power increase can see this fail,
The seat are ! well I found basic and uncomfortable, and not a patch on the recaro's in the clubsport, and the DSG box made the driving rather boring and not the best auto box out there.
With a 450 map on they are better but still no match for the 400hp clubsport around a track.
And the resale values on them with all the PCP ones coming back to the dealers now are just upsetting
Maybe yours is modded and has better brakes and suspension ? I'd be interested to know, we sold ours very quickly as it was disappointing coming from big power RS Mk2's and Subaru Hatches,
Agreed on the weak turbo part.. but most performance cars have an underlying issues

MK3 FRS - headgasket
Golf R - Turbo
MK2 ST - Cylinder Liners
Impreza - Headgasket

You just have to face the fact you may have an issue when you buy them. I never expect a performance car to be a reliable one.

The upgraded Leathers were good enough for me. I have the normal R versions in a polo. Still good enough. My preferance would be Recaro CS' out of most seats for a daily car.

I'm a REVO dealer and have driven many mapped and standard. My preferance and plans were to upgrade mine to Stage 2 400bhp with the DSG map also - I thought the gearbox was alright.. but i've not driven many other DSG cars to compare!

Reason I went for the golf R over the clubsport was the fact I just like the Golf R - all down to personal preferance!

As for the pricing. mine was £24K with 20k miles on it - pretty high compared to some but it was fully spec'd bar keyless entry. So i was willing to pay a bit more.

I don't really care for resale value - I buy to drive. not to worry about how much money i loose. At the end of the day every car loses money!
Old 30th October 2019, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Users

OK, I have to admit that mine is a 7.5 R completely built by Litchfield's from suspension upwards. I have kept the outside standard (perhaps about 2cm lower) and with power enough to put a few GTR's to shame on track. Full KW kit and Remus exhaust with downpipes matched to a Litchfield bespoke turbo.
Got the Nappa seats and panoramic roof with a host of manufacturers extras. Bought with delivery mileage and in standard guise for 25k miles. Now a great track car and Q car for the road.
I think therefore I can state that it isn't dull
!
Old 30th October 2019, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Blobbish is full of smiles
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 370z Custom S/C, R35
^^^^^ but its ok I fixed it for you.

Quote:
I think therefore I can state that mine isn't dull
!
Arguably, not really a Golf R now though. Sort of like the Rachel McKinnon of the Golf R world.
Old 30th October 2019, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
OK, I have to admit that mine is a 7.5 R completely built by Litchfield's from suspension upwards. I have kept the outside standard (perhaps about 2cm lower) and with power enough to put a few GTR's to shame on track. Full KW kit and Remus exhaust with downpipes matched to a Litchfield bespoke turbo.
Got the Nappa seats and panoramic roof with a host of manufacturers extras. Bought with delivery mileage and in standard guise for 25k miles. Now a great track car and Q car for the road.
I think therefore I can state that it isn't dull
!
I think then I would certainly agree with you on that
Old 12th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wildrover is a V8 lover!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BMW 435D / Octavia VRS / ZT260
Arrow

Had a Golf R, at 1,000 miles the ECU failed. It took weeks to fix (they fitted a GTi was a temporary fix). Sold back to the dealer with less than 1,000 miles.

Do believe the VAG hype.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wildrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
besty is Not liking it white...
Registered

Cars owned: E34 M5, R35 Track Edition, previously UK R34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrover View Post
Had a Golf R, at 1,000 miles the ECU failed. It took weeks to fix (they fitted a GTi was a temporary fix). Sold back to the dealer with less than 1,000 miles.

Do believe the VAG hype.
Sadly with most cars you'll have a few failures. I've driven two Golf R's as my daily driver for 6+ years without any problems. The bigger concern is that they are very popular in the Midlands with car thieves...