Nismo quick shifter review (25%) - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th April 2019, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Skyrel is aware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Nismo quick shifter review (25%)

After lots of thinking and very little information available I narrowed my search down to the Nismo solid shifter or the Nismo quick shifter. I could hardly find anything on the quick shifter, so I decided to add my review here.

First of all the install - It was very easy, took less then an hour and most of that time was spent wondering how that bracket was ment to be installed. I simply added a picture of it that is the only picture you really need for the install.

Honestly I think I would have been very happy with just the quick shift - That OEM shifter is a piece of junk, or maybe mine was just defective, who knows - But the shifter is so loose on the rod, and when the car is in gear the knob can be moved around quite a lot - but the rod and bushing was in a great shape. The Nismo solid shifter would solve this as the rubber attachment inside the top piece goes all the way down, eliminating any play. It is also slightly shorter, and this is where it gets the 10% shorter throw.

The quick shifter is on an entirely different level though - The shifter ratio is offset offering a true short shifter with all the other benefits of the solid shifter. The difference is 25% according to Nismo and Id say that sounds about right. But its not very short, actually I would say this is how this car should have come from factory. The shift feel is a bit more notchy, and the transmission whine is quite noticable through the shifter. But the shift length is perfect, there is no problem hitting the gears, and it feels so much more sporty - A friend of mine, who does not know Skylines at all tried it and said he would have thought this was how it was from factory.

Overall Im very happy with it, and I would recommend it to anyone who does not have a whine in their transmission. For those who do, I guess that is most of us these days, I want to make it clear that the whine will be present inside the car through the shifter most of the time. Its not very loud, not very annoying - yet. Time will tell. Hopefully my new stereo system will compensate and this will not be a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter.jpg (86.1 KB, 4 views)
Mookistar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Skyrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Cool. Good luck with the gearbox long term.

These do tend to wear out the synchro’s quicker.
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Nice review I went for the Nismo solid shifter myself (10%) - I previously had the Tomei short shifter and that felt a bit forced. I missed a gear change once and ended up with a notchy 3rd to 4th! When I had my box refreshed I went back to an OEM shifter which was too long IMO, the solid shifter seemed like the best compromise.

Old 27th April 2019, 04:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Skyrel is aware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I did consider the 10%, and probably would have been happy with it, but I decided for the 25% in the end as the solid shifter really is just a cut rod with a solid top end compared to the flimsy Oem shifter that is just terrible..

About wear, surely the short shifter may cause some extra wear, but honestly I think it's an over exaggeration too say it wears out the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Skyrel is offline   Reply With Quote