Nissan skyline gtr r34 running costs - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th April 2019, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Finley13 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Nissan skyline gtr r34 running costs

Hey guys,

First post, I know it’s been covered and I know where the threads are (I still cannot find an answer though.)

I have done as much research as I can on a ball park figure of running costs for an R34, but the posts are either 10 or more years old (so costs aren’t up to date) or the thread just ends as general chat about the cars / parts without a clear answer.

Here is what I have come to so far:

After a £13 000 deposit on a circa. £62 000 R-34, it works out to around £1 000 p/m to pay the car off.

So £12 000 p/a - Car repayments
£1 000.00 p/a - Insurance
£1 500.00 p/a - Petrol (4000 miles @ roughly 18-20 mpg)
£600.00 - Tyres (Yokohama’s every year)
£1 500.00 - Services

£1 383.00 p/m - Total

£10 000 in Savings for a Rainy Day in case anything breaks.

What I’m hoping to achieve from this post is a BALL PARK FIGURE (I know individual circumstances dictate costs) of what an R34 really costs to run monthly. It is my dream to own one, but I’d like to know if it’s feasible, and hoping asking a few folks who own/owned one would be able to point me in the right direction.

Again, sorry if this has been covered, but I can’t find a recent, ball park figure.

Thanks!
Old 14th April 2019, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Users

First post, I know its been covered and I know where the threads are (I still cannot find an answer though.) I have done as much research as I can on a ball park figure of running costs for an R34, but the posts are either 10 or more years old (so costs arent up to date) or the thread just ends as general chat about the cars / parts without a clear answer. Here is what I have come to so far: After a 13 000 deposit on a circa. 62 000 R-34, it works out to around 1 000 p/m to pay the car off. So 12 000 p/a - Car repayments 1 000.00 p/a - Insurance 1 500.00 p/a - Petrol (4000 miles @ roughly 18-20 mpg) 600.00 - Tyres (Yokohamas every year) 1 500.00 - Services 1 383.00 p/m - Total 10 000 in Savings for a Rainy Day in case anything breaks. What Im hoping to achieve from this post is a BALL PARK FIGURE (I know individual circumstances dictate costs) of what an R34 really costs to run monthly. It is my dream to own one, but Id like to know if its feasible, and hoping asking a few folks who own/owned one would be able to point me in the right direction. Again, sorry if this has been covered, but I cant find a recent, ball park figure. Thanks!
Old 14th April 2019, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
You be mental borrowing 50k to buy one if budgeting is an issue.
meathead, jdm4life and SarGara like this.

Old 14th April 2019, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
jdm4life is fully aware they can edit their status but doesn't see the point
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Loans for creaky old Japanese cars. Crazy times.
Old 14th April 2019, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
J1mmys is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Hi,

Ive recently sold mine I owned it for nearly 3 years. Getting a big loan for such an old car probs isnt a great move but it may pay off. I can tell you things pop up some things can be extremely costly, mine was heavily modified. Engines going pop and not unheard of and can cost 10s of thousands to rebuild. They are very finicky so so much Technology in these cars therefore lots to go wrong. This is why its probably not a good idea if your not buying cash. They are a very iconic car and attract a lot of attention. These days an investment too if not used and kept mint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th April 2019, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Users

Hi J1mmys,

Thanks for the help. Say if I never got the car on a loan then. Is 300-400 p/m a fair average cost?

Again, that would be with 10-20 grand set aside for any major malfunctions.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bennyboy1984 is modifying his status.

I think the right direction for you would be to look into a GTT model. Samesh looks and much cheaper to run, plus then you could spend any saved money on mods that youll no doubt want to do at some point.
Giving a ball park figure on monthly spending on these cars is difficult, no car that is being used as a daily/weekend car will be perfect. There WILL be things you like and dislike about it, and every time you drive it I can guarantee that in the back of your mind youll want to change that thing you dislike. A squeaky little cam belt can end up in a well while the cam belt is being done I may as well put this on, and that type of situation and before you know it youve stripped the engine and youre looking at RB30s.

If youre looking at using it as a daily, then the main cost will obviously be fuel. Ive never actually worked out how many mpg I was getting but Im sure it wasnt any where near 20! Especially when a quick trip to the shops turns into a long country road... you get the idea.
You may want to add a couple hundred a month to your list for that section.

Other than that if you reckon you can keep up with those monthly payments then good luck to you. Sounds like itd be a bit of a head ache if things went wrong.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Your post doesn't quote your age but I'd say this. The "dream" of owning a car never meets expectations, and if you're considering borrowing 60k to buy and run one of these things, make sure you have a house and family in situ.
Last thing you'd want is to own the "dream" and then spend the rest of your life paying for it.
jnoor likes this.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
Last thing you'd want is to own the "dream" and then spend the rest of your life paying for it.
Someone should have told Daniel Levy
Old 15th April 2019, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

As people say you cant put a price say 300-400 a month it might be nothing for months but could be thousands. If I was buying one now Id want at least 20-30k spare and I wouldnt get it on finance. If thats the route your taking then personally I dont think its a good idea but each to there own.

Mookistar likes this.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Someone should have told Daniel Levy
lol, his dream is built on a pretty strong foundation. COYS!!
Old 15th April 2019, 11:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Users

I really appreciate all of the advice. In my mind, people finance new sports cars everyday that drop in value by the the thousands every year if not months.

Taking a car that will either hold or increase in value on finance seemed like a reasonable decision.
Bennyboy1984 likes this.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley13 View Post
I really appreciate all of the advice. In my mind, people finance new sports cars everyday that drop in value by the the thousands every year if not months.

Taking a car that will either hold or increase in value on finance seemed like a reasonable decision.
it all depends on your financial circumstances. Whats the interest on the loan going to be over 5 years?
Old 15th April 2019, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Youve got a point there far too many these days just take pcp. The value on an GTR is very unlikely to drop. Its more on the maintenance side a new 50 grand beemer for example for require little to no maintenance. A 20 yr old skyline will need a lot.

Old 15th April 2019, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bennyboy1984 is modifying his status.

Quote:

You do make a good point. But what if the car was stolen? Or written off in an accident? There arent many insurers that will pay you what its actually worth. If your heart is still set then at least look into getting an agreed value insurer.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Ahh where to start.

First, these cars are knocking on 20 years old. Things can and do go wrong. Out of the blue it could be a screen, a headlamp, or something serious engine-wise...shit happens. So you need a reserve in the bank. You'll lose your pants if you have to sell it as a non-runner.

Tyres, more like 800 for a decent set. 1K if you're running 19s. Last around 6,000 miles if all else is OK. Brake discs will seriously empty your wallet at around 600 a set. Each service I never spend less than a grand and it's once per annum, and I do less than 4,000 miles....

Yeah you can put budget blueprint parts on it and budget tyres. But if you're doing that don't expect to sell it easily - yes they are appreciating but IMHO people with 70K to blow on a car expect a 70K car, and they'll turn away from cars that are not looked after properly. For instance I'm currently replacing my suspension with a 2K set of Ohlins, yeah there are budget ones around for 600, if that's your price point though I'd respectfully suggest you are looking at the wrong car.

Just my 2p.

Then there is the dreaded rust. You'd better be damn sure it is 100% clean, because if you're replacing a turret or restoring underneath you'll blow ten grand easy. Recent import or a very well looked after car will be imperative in that case - and don't be thinking you can run it through the winter as a daily else it'll catch up with you in the end!!

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Runway Day 19th May!

Last edited by tonigmr2; 15th April 2019 at 03:02 PM..
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 03:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Ignoring the potential for it to increase in value, one of the most important life lessons I ever had was when I was 18 years old and had fallen in love with idea of a Brand new Mini Cooper Works. I'd have been striped up for years pushing my income to the limit to drive a car I "already owned" in my Mini city. I asked my brother to help me out and he talked me out of it. I was disappointed at the time but know I dodged a bullet that day.
Old 15th April 2019, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Borrowing 50K on a 'play' car seems slightly mental to me, and running it as a daily will depreciate it. I think people keep expecting these cars to go up and up and up whatever they do to them, but I don't think that'll be the case. It'll be those that are not highly modified, have original parts, or special editions. With a large tail of cheaply modified and cheaply run cars going for a lot lot less.

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Runway Day 19th May!
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
SarGara is waiting for dry weather
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R34 GTT
Quote:

Those new sports cars people are financing will have manufacturer incentives for the best rates, warranties to cover failures, test models for you to try out and wont be prone to age related rust.

Don't get me wrong I understand the logic of new car depreciating vs old car that has stopped depreciating but I think you'll come to the conclusion you are still paying similar money over the course of ownership maintaining an older car than someone else does on depreciating a new one. Its not called the GTR tax for nothing
Old 15th April 2019, 05:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Users

Hey guys,

Your help is really appreciated, I wasnt expecting such a great response.

I know that these cars can be / are a nightmare, and the costs easily pile up. However I wanted to see if it was a dream that could happen. Buying the car is one thing, running it / dealing with it is obviously another.

I would plan to use the car on weekends / sunny days. Not daily it. In my mind I could buy an R35, Porsche 911, RS 3. You name it. But neither would bring a smile to my face that my childhood dream car would (and I would likely lose the amount of money on depreciation that it would cost to keep an R34 running.)

I’d rather throw the money that a new sports car would depreciate in fixing and old car that I would not loose too much money on.

I failed to mention that I’m not looking for an investment, and I’m not too worried about loosing money on the car either (it’s part of owning a 20 year old car), and I’m okay with that.

What I wanted to achieve was a general running cost to see if I could feasibly own one, and from your response it looks like it.

Maybe financing it is not the most responsible way of doing it, but I’m okay with that (so long as I can ensure the car for its actual value.)

Either way, super grateful for all the help guys! This forum is great.