Ecutek v7 with bluetooth dongle opinions - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th May 2019, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
rfo5 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Ecutek v7 with bluetooth dongle opinions

Just wondering what you guys think. Just got my dongle yesterday, and am still not convinced. Previously on v5, and found I was more in control, now I feel as an end user, It feels less intuitive.
Old 17th May 2019, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 R35 GT-R & Mitsi Evo IX MR FQ-360 (not standard)
Not sure about the dongle but v7 is utter shite!
TurboSam likes this.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo9lution View Post
I've not updated to it, what are the issues?

Old 18th May 2019, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Interested in why, we are getting more power and smoother delivery and the launch combined with tc are amazing 900hp cars putting all their power down on launch.
Old 18th May 2019, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...

Terrible, lazy gear shifts (especially down shifts) which sometimes result in the clutch not fully engaging. Completely destroys the feel of the car, the enjoyment of the car and my trust in it.*

I'm going to try an old gearbox map first to see if that makes a difference but, if not, will revert to my 5.2 pre-forging map and then tweak that map from logs (including the increased mid-range power following the forging).

I do agree that the power feels good (though, I cannot tell if this is the map as the wick has been turned up a notch anyway ...) but not sure that the delivery is any smoother - it has been a long time since I have driven my car running properly; v6 was crap too - but the car doesn't now feel how I want it to.

*Edited to add: I have learned to drive around the issues but I don't want to "have to" drive around them ...
Old 18th May 2019, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Terrible, lazy gear shifts (especially down shifts) which sometimes result in the clutch not fully engaging. Completely destroys the feel of the car, the enjoyment of the car and my trust in it.*

I'm going to try an old gearbox map first to see if that makes a difference but, if not, will revert to my 5.2 pre-forging map and then tweak that map from logs (including the increased mid-range power following the forging).

I do agree that the power feels good (though, I cannot tell if this is the map as the wick has been turned up a notch anyway ...) but not sure that the delivery is any smoother - it has been a long time since I have driven my car running properly; v6 was crap too - but the car doesn't now feel how I want it to.

*Edited to add: I have learned to drive around the issues but I don't want to "have to" drive around them ...
I think you need a word with your mapper our fastest 4.25 runs 100-200kmh im 5.52 on pump I think its 2nd fastest on Cartel dragy board (1st runs E85 @ 5.45) plus we have a stage 2 running 6.3 (faster than most 4.25's) if the trans map needs changing dont blame the latest version of ECM software do you think Ecutek develop it to be worse? We made 1101whp on ecutek on pump easily and looking to make way more than that on the new motor and I mean way more.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
I think you need a word with your mapper our fastest 4.25 runs 100-200kmh im 5.52 on pump I think its 2nd fastest on Cartel dragy board (1st runs E85 @ 5.45) plus we have a stage 2 running 6.3 (faster than most 4.25's) if the trans map needs changing dont blame the latest version of ECM software do you think Ecutek develop it to be worse? We made 1101whp on ecutek on pump easily and looking to make way more than that on the new motor and I mean way more.
What does the power your cars make and drag results have to do with the lazy shifts that have been developed by EcuTek after they changed which tables are referenced when developing v6 (and continued it into v7)?

I'm trying the trans map to see IF it makes any difference but from what I've been told it's unlikely to. As for the two tuners who have put a v7 on my car, they are two of the most respected tuners in the UK for the GT-R (one you used to use and still speak to regularly, by all accounts) so unless both of them have f'cked up the transmission mapping in the same way completely independently, it is the software (which is backed up by what one of said mappers has told me ...).

I am not alone in thinking that the gear shifts on v7 are lazy either!

Last edited by Evo9lution; 19th May 2019 at 10:53 AM..
Evo9lution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

The trans on the GTR looks for a signal from the ECM to adjust torque to change gear, if the mapper does not adjust the applicable tables in the map then the TCM will wait longer for the torque reduction in order to change gears, ecutek V7 have changed the software to allow the fitment of parts that enable far more hp, if these are not allowed for the shift will be lazy, a trans map of course will help but if the parameters are incorrect in the ECM map the car will never shift quickly as it sees too much torque for a safe shift.

The relevance of a slow shift in a ANY timed run is 100% obvious the run will be slower and 100th of a second is separating some of these cars, if you like come drive one or go passenger, im sure I can arrange it.

We all know V6 may have had a few flaws but V7 for sure does not, at least not in our opinion.

If you have your own dongle and a map locked to it Ill put our V7 on the car for you to try and you can see if thats what you like, then just put your original map back on and get it sorted, either in UK or Dimitri is in Germany on average once a month or Austria a lot more, no charge BTW

Last edited by dudersvr; 19th May 2019 at 04:01 PM..
dudersvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
herman is i cant believe my 32 is gone im gutted.
Registered

Are you seriously kidding evo9lution??
Version 7 is bloody brilliant!!!
I’ve got it on mine on my eba and can’t fault it in any way, and mine drives nothing like your describing what so ever?? I’d recommend it to anybody all day long.
I’m no mapper or claim to be that technically minded but Even I can tell the difference the v7 on mine. Maybe it’s been installed wrong? Like I said I’m no tech guy and I’m just going by way mine now drives after having it mapped by John and dimitri.
Old 19th May 2019, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Iíve got it on mine on my eba and canít fault it in any way, and mine drives nothing like your describing what so ever?? Iíd recommend it to anybody all day long.
Iím no mapper or claim to be that technically minded but Even I can tell the difference the v7 on mine. Maybe itís been installed wrong? Like I said Iím no tech guy and Iím just going by way mine now drives after having it mapped by John and dimitri.
I'm glad that you are enjoying your new car and that the quality of work that you have received from John and Dmitri is top notch (to be expected) but I don't really think that your endorsement of v7 is valid enough for me to change my opinion when you consider how long have you had your GTR vs how long have I had mine; when you consider how many different driving conditions over how many miles across how many different countries and road types I have done in the vehicle compared to you in yours ... How many different versions of EcuTek software have you driven yours on and over how many different stages of modification?

I know that this sounds harsh and I don't wish it to but I know my car very well and can tell immediately whether things are right or wrong (or, at least, if they feel different to before). I know this as I have driven the car in many different conditions over thousands of miles of across at least 16 different European countries over several years (throughout several different stages of modification and utilising several different versions of EcuTek software) ... So, when I say that my experience of v7 has been pretty shite so far; no I am not kidding!
Old 19th May 2019, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...

Quote:
The trans on the GTR looks for a signal from the ECM to adjust torque to change gear, if the mapper does not adjust the applicable tables in the map then the TCM will wait longer for the torque reduction in order to change gears, ecutek V7 have changed the software to allow the fitment of parts that enable far more hp, if these are not allowed for the shift will be lazy, a trans map of course will help but if the parameters are incorrect in the ECM map the car will never shift quickly as it sees too much torque for a safe shift.

The relevance of a slow shift in a ANY timed run is 100% obvious the run will be slower and 100th of a second is separating some of these cars, if you like come drive one or go passenger, im sure I can arrange it.

We all know V6 may have had a few flaws but V7 for sure does not, at least not in our opinion.

If you have your own dongle and a map locked to it Ill put our V7 on the car for you to try and you can see if thats what you like, then just put your original map back on and get it sorted, either in UK or Dimitri is in Germany on average once a month or Austria a lot more, no charge BTW
Thanks for the offer John (I appreciate the FoC gesture but I'd be happy to pay but we can discuss offline at some point). I may hook up with Dmitri in Germany at some point to see how your maps compare but I really want to work with my current mapper to see if we can sort it out. My plan to change the TCM software is to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, I will run the current TCM map but on my pre-forge map (with the subtle tweaks that it needs to be safe; v5.2) to see if that help. If it does - this was the last map on the car that didn't cause the shift issue - then at least we can work from there.

My comment about the drag times etc. was born out of the fact that my car, on v7, is very, very good under load. The lazy shifts happen when driving around town or when exiting motorways; when the car is off throttle and you down shift. I understand that some of the work done by EcuTek for v6 & v7 was to make the shifts smoother; mostly for the US drag guys running many-plated, very high friction material clutches. The problem is, I want my car to feel like a GT-R, not an E class (there's more to it but again, to be discussed offline) ...
dudersvr likes this.
Old 20th May 2019, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
I've got it on mine on my eba and can't fault it in any way, and mine drives nothing like your describing what so ever?? I'd recommend it to anybody all day long.
I'm no mapper or claim to be that technically minded but Even I can tell the difference the v7 on mine. Maybe it's been installed wrong? Like I said I'm no tech guy and I'm just going by way mine now drives after having it mapped by John and dimitri.
How do you find it compared to V6? i'm told V7 requires a full remap due to all the extra bits it has...? not just import the old map in etc
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap EcuTek / Dodson Uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows Custom Full exhaust system+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/R888R 275~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 09:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
DocT is Litchfield LM1 storm trooper

As far as I know my car was the first customer car to have a V7 with Litchfield and I completely agree with regards to the lazy shifts. Iíve asked Iain to have a look at it as the gearbox hasnít been responding as I expected and it actually stalled on me a couple of times.

So Iím hoping itís a teething problem that has been ironed out in later iterations of V7 (mine was mapped late May 2018.)
Evo9lution likes this.
Old 20th May 2019, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
HellsSalesman is burning
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Quote:
I think you need a word with your mapper our fastest 4.25 runs 100-200kmh im 5.52 on pump I think its 2nd fastest on Cartel dragy board (1st runs E85 @ 5.45) plus we have a stage 2 running 6.3 (faster than most 4.25's) .
have you done back to back to back 100-200 gps runs to confirm that time is legit? what were the dyno numbers on that car?

mind posting the dragy detailed times on that run? (100-110, 110-120 and so on)

6,3 is a good realistic time for stock turbos, 5,5 is, well, defying physics (unless nismo turbos)
Old 20th May 2019, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
L6DJX is reducing weight and getting stiffer ;)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 2015 GTR Litchfield tuned
not nismos, but on e85 and full full decat and clever tunes... a real great achievement.

I agree the low speed gear changes are ****, the clutch judders which is ****. but power is good.

I also agree the new interface is a bit less friendly - before the sliding scales were great. Now it is all buttons...
But, the traction is fab.
Did about 10-12 launches yesterday and all were faultless @3600rpm - tweaked down the torque in 1st gear, full in 2nd, and managed to deploy launch traction and absolutely spanked the launches. Best launches in a while.
Evo9lution likes this.
JRZ RS PRO- With full SPL bushings and Camber arms
Quaife front Diff
Nankang AR-1
L6DJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsSalesman View Post
have you done back to back to back 100-200 gps runs to confirm that time is legit? what were the dyno numbers on that car?

mind posting the dragy detailed times on that run? (100-110, 110-120 and so on)

6,3 is a good realistic time for stock turbos, 5,5 is, well, defying physics (unless nismo turbos)
The car has run over 20 5.5 something runs, so yes consistent, last run on the same road it ran a 5.34 but gradient read -1.15% so invalid as -1% is max. We did a car for Nadeem Y pipe, air intakes and tune it ran a 6.3 on dragy. Turbos on Bills car are stock 2015 DBA but it has actuators fitted.

4.25 on E85 left Bills car on pump 4.25 right

file-23.jpeg

Invalid run by .15% (but on same road

thumbnail_file1-16.jpg
You can see the E85 makes its time right at the end of the run.
A good indicator as to a genuine time is distance covered
HellsSalesman likes this.

Last edited by dudersvr; 21st May 2019 at 11:34 AM..
Old 21st May 2019, 11:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Thanks for the offer John (I appreciate the FoC gesture but I'd be happy to pay but we can discuss offline at some point). I may hook up with Dmitri in Germany at some point to see how your maps compare but I really want to work with my current mapper to see if we can sort it out. My plan to change the TCM software is to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, I will run the current TCM map but on my pre-forge map (with the subtle tweaks that it needs to be safe; v5.2) to see if that help. If it does - this was the last map on the car that didn't cause the shift issue - then at least we can work from there.

My comment about the drag times etc. was born out of the fact that my car, on v7, is very, very good under load. The lazy shifts happen when driving around town or when exiting motorways; when the car is off throttle and you down shift. I understand that some of the work done by EcuTek for v6 & v7 was to make the shifts smoother; mostly for the US drag guys running many-plated, very high friction material clutches. The problem is, I want my car to feel like a GT-R, not an E class (there's more to it but again, to be discussed offline) ...
I get you now, we have starngely (maybe to you) been asked to do some trans maps that prevent the car changing up so many gears so fast in town ie before you know it its in 5/6 at 35, I drove a car with I believe a Litchfield trans map but our ECM map as we fitted forged motor and GT32's and I prefer the way it seems to stay in a more realistic gear for the speed in traffic, that way its not up and down the box like a whores draws, but in the V7 cars I log and test once in race mode the shift up and down is instant in the more on it situations but round town we just make sure they are smooth etc.

Last edited by dudersvr; 21st May 2019 at 11:38 AM..
Old 21st May 2019, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
HellsSalesman is burning

Quote:
The car has run over 20 5.5 something runs, so yes consistent, last run on the same road it ran a 5.34 but gradient read -1.15% so invalid as -1% is max. We did a car for Nadeem Y pipe, air intakes and tune it ran a 6.3 on dragy. Turbos on Bills car are stock 2015 DBA but it has actuators fitted.
ok actuators going to give you some more up top but still...simply amazing!

ps: have you ever used/tried the ts twin port actuators with a 4 port solenoid (and ecutek)?
dudersvr likes this.
Old 21st May 2019, 03:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsSalesman View Post
ok actuators going to give you some more up top but still...simply amazing!

ps: have you ever used/tried the ts twin port actuators with a 4 port solenoid (and ecutek)?
Yes we are running this set up with my new Linney GT35RS turbos so we can run very low boost on launch and turn up to 3 bar later in the run boost by gear.
HellsSalesman likes this.
Old 21st May 2019, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
brooker is unaware they can edit their status

Has anyone else had the problem where if you leave the Bluetooth dongle plugged in it causes the tpms light to come on the dash?

I spoke to litchfields about it they told me it's a problem with 2014 onwards cars and ecutek are working on a fix for it?

Annoying as I bought the dongle to leave plugged in and it's been in for one journey and then in the glovebox ever since as I don't want to drive around with the light on.