Which R35 to buy? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
ciaran is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Which R35 to buy?

Hi guys

I'm very close to buying an R35 GTR. I just cant decide on which one.

I'm in Northern Ireland and there are very few here so I'm having to do my inspections and research from afar which isn't ideal but so be it.

My budget is £60k but Ideally I don't really want to spend much more than £50k

I would like to buy from a reputable dealer if possible so that I have some sort of aftersales options if anything goes wrong and preferably a warranty of some sort.

Anyway, I've narrowed my choice down to 3 cars:

2014 16k miles £48000
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...cation=at_cars
This is the one I'm swaying towards the most. Been speaking to the sales guy since Friday and the car seems like a good one and they're doing me a decent deal...
The car is a Nissan GTR Premium. 1 previous owner. MOT expires 03/03/2020. Full Nissan Service history. Wheels are immaculate. Two months Warranty. New Rear tyres, discs and pads. Front tyres have at least 3mm tread. Oil and filter service will be done before collection. Car has 2 keys.

2016 15k miles £53000

2016 11k miles £60000

EDIT
Just found this one too:
2016 21k miles £60000 (seller is litchfield which I think would be good for peace of mind lol)
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...petrol/9552250

I don't really want to spend more than £50k but I am very tempted to treat myself to an EBA.

My main concern is depreciation. I am probably going to keep the car for a year max and which point I need my money back. Is it normal to see two 2016 cars, one DBA and one EBA being 8 grand apart (the bottom two links)

Which of the 4 do you think is the better option overall keeping depreciation in mind? Is the EBA so much better that its worth the extra money? Will it hold its value over the next year?

I've got the money sitting waiting for the right car so I'm itching to get a deal done.

Thanks for any input guys!

Last edited by ciaran; 22nd May 2019 at 10:03 AM..
ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Top tip.

If your buying any car and want to get your money back, buy a classic car.
ciaran likes this.
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Top tip.

If your buying any car and want to get your money back, buy a classic car.
I had an idea that line would result in such a comment lol
I mean as much of my money back as possible and within reason. I know I will take a bit of a hit but obviously I want to minimise this by buying the right car at the right price.

Old 22nd May 2019, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Buy an R34

Failing that, buy the latest you can afford at the lowest mileage you can afford. Make sure all services are in place, and don't forget servicing and brakes etc. as running costs. I don't think 4K fewer miles is worth £7K.
ciaran likes this.

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Silverstone Classics. OMG look at the cars we’ve got coming...from Hako to MY20 Nismo!
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
jps
jps is working hard - dreaming bigger!
GT-RDC Member

Buy 2 or 3 R33's.

Probably double your money in 12 months.

Sell 2, keep one.

JD

ciaran likes this.
Old 22nd May 2019, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
carminegtr is All Black

Cars owned: R35 / R34 / R33
Just buy any!! you'll find the one you buy is your favourite anyways
ciaran likes this.
Old 22nd May 2019, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 R35 GT-R & Mitsi Evo IX MR FQ-360 (not standard)
Buy the first one or, at a push, the second one. I don't see the point in spending the extra £7-12k for what is basically the same car, especially if you're going to sell in 12 months.

I haven't even looked at the links but, if colour and model doesn't matter, the 2014 car seems the most sensible to me. That way, you have an additional £5-12k for a rainy day!
ciaran likes this.
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
PaulH0070 is normally cleaning, sometimes driving

2016 DBA's seem to have odd pricing sometimes, being pitched against the first EBA's doesn't seem to help them.

Wouldn't buy the 2016 over the 2014 for the extra 5k personally, not enough difference to warrant it.

Do check what service is due on the 2014 though, should be the 60 month pretty expensive one. Don't know where they're getting just an oil change from?

And to be honest unless they are a Nissan dealer or recognised indy I'd say any service done by them would affect your residuals.

Will you lose money? Yes. How much? No one knows.
ciaran likes this.
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH0070 View Post
2016 DBA's seem to have odd pricing sometimes, being pitched against the first EBA's doesn't seem to help them.

Wouldn't buy the 2016 over the 2014 for the extra 5k personally, not enough difference to warrant it.

Do check what service is due on the 2014 though, should be the 60 month pretty expensive one. Don't know where they're getting just an oil change from?

And to be honest unless they are a Nissan dealer or recognised indy I'd say any service done by them would affect your residuals.

Will you lose money? Yes. How much? No one knows.
Thanks for the advice, makes sense.
Do you know what is due at the 60 month service and how much it costs?
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

There you go mate

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/wp-...018.png?x97702

Could be as much as a grand if the brake hoses need doing (which they probably will)

If history is out of whack, then it could be the 48month coming up. But that is still a fluid change service.

So potentially you've got 2 front tyres and a £1k service soon.

See what they've got to say and go from there mate
Old 23rd May 2019, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
There you go mate

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/wp-...018.png?x97702

Could be as much as a grand if the brake hoses need doing (which they probably will)

If history is out of whack, then it could be the 48month coming up. But that is still a fluid change service.

So potentially you've got 2 front tyres and a £1k service soon.

See what they've got to say and go from there mate
Thanks a lot mate, really appreciate your help with this.
The car is indeed due the 60 month service. I got a few prices locally for this ranging from £849 to £549. I've asked Arnold Clark to include this service in the deal... Still waiting on a response. Surprisingly they've been very quiet since I asked, despite having been ringing me 3 times a day beforehand!

I also enquired again on the Grey 16 car on at £53k and they're keen to do a deal too.. They have reduced the price quite a bit for me so it's now looking like a front runner....Has anyone had any dealings with CSG Motor company in Chalfont Saint Giles, just outside London?
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
Thanks a lot mate, really appreciate your help with this.
The car is indeed due the 60 month service. I got a few prices locally for this ranging from £849 to £549. I've asked Arnold Clark to include this service in the deal... Still waiting on a response. Surprisingly they've been very quiet since I asked, despite having been ringing me 3 times a day beforehand!

I also enquired again on the Grey 16 car on at £53k and they're keen to do a deal too.. They have reduced the price quite a bit for me so it's now looking like a front runner....Has anyone had any dealings with CSG Motor company in Chalfont Saint Giles, just outside London?
No worries ciaran, just bear in mind the range of service price is probably with or without the brake hoses. Expect it to be the dearer, so negotiate accordingly.

Double check the 2016 car has had the 36 month service and not just their own oil change or something like that. Doesn't sound it to be fair, probably had nissan service pack, but just make sure.

Other than that, usual tyres and brakes checks. Sorry, not familiar with the garage.
ciaran likes this.
Old 24th May 2019, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks again Paul!
Ok so Arnold Clark refused to budge on their offer and basically told me to take it or leave it.
Turns out though that they serviced it themselves (just oil and filter) and so the book now has an Arnold Clark stamp for the 60 month service!! I told them I'll have to give it a miss.

The 2016 car checks out and has all the services in place, all by Glyn Hopkin and the most recent one done in March this year.

In reference to the tyres and brake checks they said the tyres all have 5mm left.
I asked on the condition of the brakes and discs and was told "yeah they look fine" Is there any way for me to get some sort of evidence that they're fine. Would hate that bill if it came soon!

I also asked if the bell housing had been done or needs done and again was told "it hasn't been done but its fine" Do I just assume they're being honest or is there any way for me to get verification on these things?

This hunt is a lot more stressful than I imagined lol

Thanks again!
Old 24th May 2019, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Stressful? I found it painful, lol

Ask to be sent a copy of the health check on the 2016 car, that'll have every bit of info you need.

If the garage can't provide it, call the Nissan garage and ask for the info. Unfortunately not all will provide it, but worth an ask.
Old 24th May 2019, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

haha Yeah well I could certainly add painful into the mix too lol

OK, so they sent me this... is this the health check?

https://ibb.co/Y7zFgN3

Sorry for being thick here, I'm new to the GTR world and have been saving for years to get one and so hopefully you can understand my cautionary approach lol
Old 24th May 2019, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

The health checks from Nissan that I've seen were printed out.

With green, amber, red applied to each component.

There's a percentage applied to the remaining pad and disc material. This isn't on that sheet?

I'm not totally familiar with Nissan paperwork but that looks more of a post service check rather than the full health check?

Might be wrong on that, as to be honest the only thing missing is brake wear? Don't recall bell housing play recorded by Nissan?
Old 24th May 2019, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

ok so they've sent me through the health check:

https://ibb.co/xSzg2wW

There's a note on there stating the car has incorrect tyre sizes fitted which could have caused differential damage but the sales guy told me the tyres on the car are Michelin 305/35/20 & 265/35/20. Apparently its common to change to this size from the standard 285/35/20 & 255/40/20.
According to them this is the size Litchfield recommend?

Anyone know is this is correct? Would this be of any concern to you guys?

He also sent through the recent MOT notes and there are advisories against 3 of the discs. Says 3 of the discs are worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened....

https://ibb.co/mGy93B4

What exactly does worn, pitted or scored mean in real terms? Are they likely to need replacing soon?

Thanks again!
Old 24th May 2019, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

That's a normal tyre change, nothing to worry about there.
Although one thing, it's probably a typo but the rears should be 30 profile (or is it the fronts? One of them, lol)

MOT advisories can be random as hell, surprised the disc wear isn't listed on the health check, but if there has been no pad change to the car I'd guess the discs are similar % worn.

Not guaranteed so ask/look at the amount of lip.
ciaran likes this.
Old 24th May 2019, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
SickBoy is Mitch
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Other option if your forking out this sort of money is to take it to Litchfield or similar and pay to have the checks done, then you get your own report.

If report is good you buy with piece of mind. If report is bad you escaped with a very small bill.

If they are not willing to let you or they get this done walk away..

Safety First and all that
ciaran likes this.
Old 24th May 2019, 02:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
That's a normal tyre change, nothing to worry about there.
Although one thing, it's probably a typo but the rears should be 30 profile (or is it the fronts? One of them, lol)

MOT advisories can be random as hell, surprised the disc wear isn't listed on the health check, but if there has been no pad change to the car I'd guess the discs are similar % worn.

Not guaranteed so ask/look at the amount of lip.
Yeah I think that's probably just a typo re the tyre sizes.

I was surprised too that the disc wear isn't on the health check..Typical, the main thing I wanted to see it and its not on it!

Worst case scenario it needs 4 discs and pads... how much is that costing? I've had a quick search online and it's looking like its £2k or more?

I've asked them to send me pics or videos or the lip.