Tomei full cast manifold install. - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Engine Mods
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Red Duke
  • 1 Post By Cal3533
  • 1 Post By Red Duke
  • 1 Post By Red Duke
  • 1 Post By Red Duke

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th June 2019, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
Tomei full cast manifold install.

Gents, I'm a bit stuck.

I'm replacing my standard manifolds with the Tomei full cast manifolds. I've installed new manifold studs, fitted the gasket and front turbo manifold. It was only after taking a picture I realised I'd forgotten to add the new OEM washer / spacer!

And that, is where the trouble begins.

Using just the nut, torqued to 24nm in the correct sequence, everything is fine, but with the washer added the nut only sits about half way down the thread! The old manifolds have a cut out in them for the washer, the Tomei's don't. The instructions say to fit the washer and new nuts (neither are provided) but it just doesn't fit together right, one of the nuts stripped its thread as it wouldn't tighten any more. (Thankfully the stud is fine.)

Yes, the studs are new, OEM length and are the right way around! Do I actually need to install the spacers? Do I need longer manifold studs? The Tomei are the same thickness as the OEM, apart from where they have a recess.

I don't really want to continue building the car up in case I have to pull everything apart. Again!!

I'll upload some pics so it is clearer.
Old 6th June 2019, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Problem solved, the new "OEM" studs from Conceptua Tuning are actually 5mm shorter than standard. ****ing fuming!!

This is why I buy everything from Japan... At least you know it is the right ****ing size!
Mick E and Cal3533 like this.
Old 6th June 2019, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cal3533 is Broke :(
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Duke View Post
Problem solved, the new "OEM" studs from Conceptua Tuning are actually 5mm shorter than standard. ****ing fuming!!

This is why I buy everything from Japan... At least you know it is the right ****ing size!
Ball Ache! Least you've got it figured out!

What are the Tomei manifolds like? I was looking at them but didn't know where to take the plunge..
Red Duke likes this.
Cal3533 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th June 2019, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quality is superb! I always liked the Expreme manifolds but I'd read they were prone to cracking, no problem with these though. I got them from Sumo Power, my old manifolds had 5 of 6 heatshield bolts snapped inside and I couldn't get them out. I went a bit mad and bought the Tomei as another upgrade, PayPal interest free FTW!

I'll take some pictures for you if you like? I've taken the front one off for now and emailed Conceptua about the studs so hopefully they get back to me ASAP. I can't do anything without them! Luckily I used the Tomei gasket as I also have new Nismo gaskets to go on too. I'll use them instead once I have the correct studs and know the manifolds aren't going to be coming off 3 times!

Cal3533 likes this.

Last edited by Red Duke; 6th June 2019 at 06:48 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cal3533 is Broke :(
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Duke View Post
Quality is superb! I always liked the Expreme manifolds but I'd read they were prone to cracking, no problem with these though. I got them from Sumo Power, my old manifolds had 5 of 6 heatshield bolts snapped inside and I couldn't get them out. I went a bit mad and bought the Tomei as another upgrade, PayPal interest free FTW!

I'll take some pictures for you if you like? I've taken the front one off for now and emailed Conceptua about the studs so hopefully they get back to me ASAP. I can't do anything without them! Luckily I used the Tomei gasket as I also have new Nismo gaskets to go on too. I'll use them instead once I have the correct studs and know the manifolds aren't going to be coming off 3 times!

Fair Size difference of the studs, they all like that?

Some pics would be good. bit out of my price range at the minute unfortuently. a full respray and a few other bits have skint me for a couple of months.

The manifolds and the tomei TI downpipe are both on the list though!
Cal3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

No problem, I'll get some up for you.

Yes, they're all the same size - I just had an email back from Chris at Conceptua, the new studs are slightly shorter, as they come with Kenlock locking nuts which have a flanged base, these do away with the "yoke", the spacer that the old manifold uses as they can foul on aftermarket manifolds! Great idea, now I know that's what they're for! Ugh...
Old 6th June 2019, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Here you go, excuse the floral bedspread background!

The outlet to the turbo is bigger than the R34 GTR and N1 turbo outlets apparently, I'm assuming this will help with spooling up quicker combined with the larger HPI turbo elbows too.
GTRNICK likes this.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTRNICK is Chillin
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Porsche 997 Turbo, U.K. R34 GTR V-spec Black, New Smart
They look lovely.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRNICK View Post
They look lovely.
I know! They're so well made! It is such a shame you won't see them, hopefully they'll add some "go fasta!" to make up for it!
GTRNICK likes this.