Bodyshop needed - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2019, 04:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mark83 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE14 View Post
That is a MY17 on car so has to be worth a minimum of £50k. Worst case that is £8-£10k of repairs. In what world is that ever gong to be a write off?
Add in the time to source parts and the like for like courtesy car, costs increase very quickly on top of the actual damage.
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE14 View Post
Sure but they will only write off when the cost of repair rises to circa 70% of pre accident value.

You have no right to demand a car be written off, itís at the sole discretion of the insurer and itís clearly not going to be commercially viable to pay out £60k as a write off rather than £10k as a repair.
Possibly not, but you do have a right to demand that your corrosion warranty is still intact (which it now won't be and no body shop will offer anything approaching an alternative) plus you have a significantly reduced resale price on the car as it'll be recorded as damaged. Will Nissan even warranty that car now, if the gearbox fails there's surely a reasonably decent case from Nissan that the crash could have caused it.

If I were the insurance company I'd want to write that car off, just pay out the book value and sell it as salvage.

Much simpler than potentially dealing with legal action from the customer down the line should something rear it's head.
Old 24th June 2019, 12:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
AndyE14 is Enjoying my new Orange GTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: GTR R35
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat52 View Post
Possibly not, but you do have a right to demand that your corrosion warranty is still intact (which it now won't be and no body shop will offer anything approaching an alternative) plus you have a significantly reduced resale price on the car as it'll be recorded as damaged. Will Nissan even warranty that car now, if the gearbox fails there's surely a reasonably decent case from Nissan that the crash could have caused it.

If I were the insurance company I'd want to write that car off, just pay out the book value and sell it as salvage.

Much simpler than potentially dealing with legal action from the customer down the line should something rear it's head.
That’s just not the reality for the insurer, they typically offload the cost of replacement cars (usually shit) to their authorised repairer for a fault claim or reclaim that cost from the third party for a non fault claim. They will also warrant their work, you can make a diminution of value claim as part of the claim against a third party for non fault claims.

There is no record of accident damage from anything not written off is there? Where would this record be kept? Wishful thinking isn’t reality. The insurer wants as little aggro as possible and to pay out the bare minimum.
Simonh likes this.