GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Bodyshop needed (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/568657-bodyshop-needed.html)

JColl 15th June 2019 01:49 PM

Bodyshop needed

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All

Ive been rear-ended, only at slow speeds but the car needs to go to a bodyshop. I'm not happy with the garage the insurers want to send the car to. Can anybody recommend a good bodyshop in the Cheshire / Manchester area? It needs to be somewhere the insurers are likely to agree to.

bobbie 15th June 2019 02:31 PM

****ing hell all that damage at slow speed that's about 2.5ks worth.

Bobby

nismoman 15th June 2019 03:02 PM

give Rod a ring at RB motorsport hes not to far from you he has a body shop that does work for him on GTR,S

Skint 15th June 2019 03:29 PM

I am very surprised they have not written the car off.

Takamo 15th June 2019 04:38 PM

2.5k and the rest, that's quiet bad that will need a new quarter panel, im also very surprised that they ain't written that off, if it's someone else's fault insist on it being written off otherwise it's gunna depreciate like no one's business

Skint 15th June 2019 05:14 PM

It will be 2.5k in labour and paint.
Parts I am guessing 4K minimum.

snuffy 15th June 2019 05:54 PM

The boot is out of align as well. New rear section, new rear side, plus trims, welding, paint etc. £2.5k ! £10k more like.

billythefish 17th June 2019 02:53 PM

Prospray in Warrington are absolutely ace! They completely resprayed my car (for cosmetic reasons) and I couldn't have been happier with the final result, so many positive comments around the colour and quality of their work! If you phone them tell them Kyle with the GTR sent you.....

JColl 17th June 2019 02:56 PM

Thanks for the information guys, I have given the info to the third party insurance company, I just have to wait for them to approve my choice of bodyshop.

snuffy 17th June 2019 03:01 PM

Spray Systems in Wallasey are very good. They are not the cheapest mind you that is reflected in their work. I happen to know the owner as he used to have a Noble at the same time as I did.

snuffy 17th June 2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JColl (Post 5783483)
Thanks for the information guys, I have given the info to the third party insurance company, I just have to wait for them to approve my choice of bodyshop.

Insurance companies can be a bit bellendish about which place to use. For example, several years ago my mate smashed his Esprit. He told them the place he wanted to repair but they refused and said that they would specify the place. So they specified somewhere and when he took his car there they said "oh, it's fibreglass, we can't do that". So his insurance company then asked him where to take it. FFS, he'd told them that in the first place.

Simonh 17th June 2019 04:24 PM

as long as the bodyshop is an insurance approved place it is your legal right to specify. However the insurance co has the right to specify how much they will pay them and you may lose hire car options etc.

eg if the insurance co say they value the repair at £5k but your chosen bodyshop say £7k you are left with the variance to pay for.

Takamo 17th June 2019 04:55 PM

You should tell your insurance that you will take it to an gtr approved bodyshop like Goldie (gold motors) near Gatwick who's work is very good, if they don't agree tell them you'll take it to one approved by them but if your not happy with the outcome then you don't want the car back and sometimes they'll let you take it to a body shop of your choice. I did this with a pearl white lexus and they agreed after a few harsh words

ACspeedtech 17th June 2019 05:33 PM

That's our neck of the woods, we use Prospray (Warrington/Lymm area) and they've carried out many major repairs and full resprays for us, other customers (e.g. Kyle) have also used them and been exceptionally happy with the work.
They know the GTR very well so you'll be in safe hands with them.
Andy

AndyE14 18th June 2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skint (Post 5783177)
I am very surprised they have not written the car off.

That is a MY17 on car so has to be worth a minimum of £50k. Worst case that is £8-£10k of repairs. In what world is that ever gong to be a write off?

snuffy 18th June 2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyE14 (Post 5783693)
That is a MY17 on car so has to be worth a minimum of £50k. Worst case that is £8-£10k of repairs. In what world is that ever gong to be a write off?

It all comes down to what it's going to cost the insurance company in terms of their loss as opposed to the ratio of the car's value to the repair cost. They look at is as a simple loss limiting calculation.

Takamo 19th June 2019 06:23 AM

Personally I would not accept a vehicle repair which would require a new quarter panel... I would insist that it be written off

AndyE14 23rd June 2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snuffy (Post 5783695)
It all comes down to what it's going to cost the insurance company in terms of their loss as opposed to the ratio of the car's value to the repair cost. They look at is as a simple loss limiting calculation.

Sure but they will only write off when the cost of repair rises to circa 70% of pre accident value.

You have no right to demand a car be written off, itís at the sole discretion of the insurer and itís clearly not going to be commercially viable to pay out £60k as a write off rather than £10k as a repair.

snuffy 23rd June 2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyE14 (Post 5784167)
Sure but they will only write off when the cost of repair rises to circa 70% of pre accident value.

More like 25% to 30%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyE14 (Post 5784167)
You have no right to demand a car be written off, itís at the sole discretion of the insurer and itís clearly not going to be commercially viable to pay out £60k as a write off rather than £10k as a repair.

Yes, its' down the insurance company. But in this example, the calculation is not £60k v £10k as you have missed out a huge factor in that calculation.

Skint 23rd June 2019 02:09 PM

Insurance companies don’t like to get involved with gtr’s as the parts prices are very expensive new.

Easier to write them off and they always fetch good money as salvage and that illimanates a big risk for them.

Moving on from the repair costs, how easy is it to sell a Gtr that’s had a back wing on and rear end repairs?