ESP/ABS warning lights - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Takamo
  • 1 Post By snuffy
  • 1 Post By Glennyboy
  • 1 Post By snuffy
  • 1 Post By Takamo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th June 2019, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Glennyboy is Balancing emissions by also having an electric car
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R35, Clio 182, 911C4 cab, Boxster, Pulsar Gti-R, 306 gti-6, Rover 220 turbo, 205Gti x4, Renault 19 16v
ESP/ABS warning lights

Hi guys. I’ve had the above lights come on after recently driving my car after it’s been sorn’d off the road for about 5-6 months over winter. Having done some research, it appears these can come on when the negative battery connection isn’t great, which mine wasn’t. I’ve reconnected and tightened right up but the lights are still on and I need to reset, and hopefully I’ll have those features return and all working well again.
I only have a stage 1 EcuteK currently but don’t have the Bluetooth dongle etc to reset the faults.
Any of you guys in the Sussex/Hampshire border area that would be willing to help please with a quick reset?
Also, I’ll probably end up buying the EcuteK Bluetooth dongle eventually for instances like this and low tyre pressure fault lights (previously had a couple), and was wondering if there are any good deals out there for one of these? All help/advice much appreciated as always guys.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Takamo is Living the Dream... Alhumdulillah (thanks to God)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR and many many more!!!
Could also be a Abs sensor or ring so give the wheels a good wash using a jet wash and then take it for a drive.
snuffy likes this.

Official Dealers of:
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser
Smartrack Trackers, Toad, Scorpion & Blackvue

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Takamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
ABS pump is favourite but check wheel speeds on ecutek first.

Old 16th June 2019, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Make sure you clean the battery posts as well. Give them a rub with some emery paper to get rid of any oxidation and smear a bit of vaseline on them as well. That will give you a good electrical connection.

Also, when I had an Esprit years ago they were well known for ABS faults. One method was just to drive at around 10 mph and then stand as hard as you can on the brake pedal and that would clear all the dirt off. You could give that a try.
Takamo likes this.
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cars owned: R35, Clio 182, 911C4 cab, Boxster, Pulsar Gti-R, 306 gti-6, Rover 220 turbo, 205Gti x4, Renault 19 16v
Thanks Takamo. Will do. Interestingly when I washed it a few days before after driving it out of the garage, there were no warning lights illuminated at all. Then after it being sat in the garage a few days the brake pads ‘adhered’ to the discs quite a bit from the surface water resulting in the jolt of the car when they released when driven forward. So maybe this has thrown the sensor out or something, or dirt has been dislodged. I assume I will still need to reset the fault codes regardless though?
Takamo likes this.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
Make sure you clean the battery posts as well. Give them a rub with some emery paper to get rid of any oxidation and smear a bit of vaseline on them as well. That will give you a good electrical connection.

Also, when I had an Esprit years ago they were well known for ABS faults. One method was just to drive at around 10 mph and then stand as hard as you can on the brake pedal and that would clear all the dirt off. You could give that a try.
I’ve never had this issue before, and to be fair after the fault I still drove the car pretty hard for a few miles with some very firm braking at times from a decent speed so I’d think any dirt left on the discs/pads is well and truly gone.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennyboy View Post
Then after it being sat in the garage a few days the brake pads ‘adhered’ to the discs quite a bit from the surface water resulting in the jolt of the car when they released when driven forward.
Mine does that a lot. It can take a bit of throttle to release the brakes when I reverse out of my garage. That's why I always take it for a couple of miles after I've washed it so it dries the discs off.
Takamo likes this.
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
Mine does that a lot. It can take a bit of throttle to release the brakes when I reverse out of my garage. That's why I always take it for a couple of miles after I've washed it so it dries the discs off.
Agreed and normally I always do the same, but I was rushing that day pending going away so ran out of time unfortunately.

Still hoping someone out there nearby with ecutek that can help me reset the fault codes please (?)
Old 16th June 2019, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
If its the pump they will just come back on but when the new pump is fitted they will disappear no need to delete, done loads now.
Old 16th June 2019, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Takamo is Living the Dream... Alhumdulillah (thanks to God)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR and many many more!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennyboy View Post
Thanks Takamo. Will do. Interestingly when I washed it a few days before after driving it out of the garage, there were no warning lights illuminated at all. Then after it being sat in the garage a few days the brake pads ‘adhered’ to the discs quite a bit from the surface water resulting in the jolt of the car when they released when driven forward. So maybe this has thrown the sensor out or something, or dirt has been dislodged. I assume I will still need to reset the fault codes regardless though?
If it is the sensor or abs ring it'll clear up after a brisk drive, should turn off itself, if not turn off the ignition then restart it and it should clear the fault and light
Glennyboy likes this.

Official Dealers of:
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser
Smartrack Trackers, Toad, Scorpion & Blackvue

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Takamo is offline   Reply With Quote