dDIY gear box and diff oil change - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By beakerdoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th July 2019, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
beakerdoo is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

dDIY gear box and diff oil change

hello chaps
so this week i upgraded my discs and pads and carried out the annual gearbox and diff oil change.
never done this before so youtube , google and on here helped alot to fill in the gaps.

the job was done in my garage at home.
lifted the car onto jacks.

removed the under trays. noticed a lot of rust on the frame that holds the trays up and the metal brackets too.cleaned off all the rust and then spray coated them with copper grease.

did the rear diff first.
allowed the oil to flow out of the filler bolt before sealing back up.in my opinion these jobs are impossible without having a small hand pump to pump the oil in.i got mine of amazon.cost less than a tenner.money well spent.

then tackled the front diff.
getting to the top filler bolt in/ out is nearly impossible.what a f**k about.but eventually completed this task too.

i left the trans till last as it looked a little daunting.but to be honest i found this easier than the front diff.
i was advised by litchfields to change both filters when changing the oil.to me this sounds like common sense.but ive seen some vids on utube just changing the oil.with all of the hassle it takes to do these jobs i feel its not worth doing while your underneath.yes there are expensive at £150 od for the pan and the inline around a £ 100 but the chap at litchfields said that this was one of the common reasons why that have cars in with gearbox issues.so a no brainer to me.
so got them changed ,refitted the sump ,checked for oil leaks,,allowed the oil to get up to temp and then checked the level again. then refitted the trays etc and went for a run out.
checked oil pressures and temps.all good...
what a massive difference on gear changes ,even to the normal punter its obvious how much smoother the car feels and runs.its like having a new car again.its the best thing ive done to the car.and its had a few upgrades now.i advise anybody thinking of doing the trans oil and diffs,you wont be disappointed.yes a bit of hassle lying on ya back pumping in oil and getting shit up.but the outcome is worth it.

sorry all the pics are on their sides.dont know why they turned out like that..
Old 26th July 2019, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
LAMBY! is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Hi , good job done . I did mine also and saved ££££ the rear undertray brackets on mine were really rusty also but litchfield do a replacement set in stainless steel , where did you get those fins on your undertray??
Old 26th July 2019, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I always tell people to change the filters, it’s common sense.

You have clutch plates wearing away and all the crap off them just goes in the oil along with minor metal fragments from wear and tear.

There cheap insurance.

Old 27th July 2019, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
LAMBY! is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Where did u get your carbon undertray fins from mate ?