GT4 into GT-R - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Clrs
  • 5 Post By Clrs
  • 1 Post By Clrs
  • 1 Post By Cir2kuk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8th August 2019, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

GT4 into GT-R

This build started in 2012 but maybe useful for those who wants an R34 GT-R but can't afford. Some people think a conversion is cheaper and easier to do. So let's face reality in this thread.

I was dreaming about Mine's R34 performance monster since early 2000s when it was out for races. Genuine blood R34 GT-Rs were around $45k in Russia back in 2010s, so far beyond my budget. Since my friend had a garage and repaired automatic transmissions, I thought hy not try to build one from a GT4. They were pretty rare but still much much cheaper.

Long search of two years resulted in buying a good 1998 R34 GT4 with manual 5 speed. In June of 2012. Paid $18750.
Next year spent living in Japan auctions buying parts and fighting with locals in bidding, trying to get good parts cheaper and so on. Only in May I found an RB26DETT for sale still sitting in a R33 Vspec. Seller started the engine for me and allowed to make compression tests. All cylinders were 12, so I considered the engine is in great condition.

The original engine as an RB25DE NEO with 4WD sump, so I assembled this sump to the RB26 to stay ith 4.3 gear ratio which is genuine for GT4 and was used by Mine's R34 GT-R to improve accelerations. Sump was assembled to RB26 without any modifications as all holes suits just right.

I asked an owner of a genuine R34 GT-R to put his car on a lifter in friend's garage along with my car to find differences and we didn't really find any significant ones from technical point of view. Obviously more wide front and rear fenders, different interior and 6 speed are mostly all significant ones. Suspension is the same, even engine mount points were the same. Genuine GT-R had more braces, aluminium hubs and some other minor stuff.

My car had no HICAS from factory, so I bought a brand new rear subframe to be used with HICAS. However, later I drove an R34 GT-R with HICAS and with HICAS deleter and found no difference at all. Maybe in some track conditions at some point a difference can be found but for myself I decided just to install a deleter and that's it.

My friend installed an engine to the car and all the wiring I did by myself. This wasn't my first project, I had experience with many Toyotas (Soarers, Supras and etc), so it wasn't a hard thing to do. And air conditioner brought some problems. I had to repress high-pressure lines and extend lengh.

Trust 70mm intercooler was installed on brand new genuine mounts. I also implemented a full bypass and recirculation system from R33 GT-R as I don't like blow-offs. Had pains after hearing it sounds all the time.

I bought a lot of good performance stuff to make car perform as Mine's R34. Things like HPI exhaust manifolds (biggest on the market), HPI big outlets, 2x76.3 into 90mm downpipe, 90mm Midori Seibi Ti exhaust, HKS 2530 turochargers, 260 Tomei camshafts with 10.25 lift. Tomei lifters for cams, new 600cc Tomei injectors, Nismo MAFs, and so on.

Also I as lucky to find a genuine Mine's R34 ECU for 260 cams and HKS 2530 turbines. Plus it was for my 600cc injectors. Exact copy of their ECU from fight car :-)

So the car made 630 hp from the flywheel at 1.35 bar. Boost didn't hold after 1.3 bar due to Garrett actuators which I didn't change to HKS ones :-( So the car performed at 1.3 bar mainly. It made 10.93 in quarter mile attempts on street tyres (Potenza RE050A). Close to what Mine's car was making. The acceleration felt insane :-) 4.3 gear ratios added to the feelings. Plus ATS Carbon Triple Plate clutch held any torque I thrown at it and felt like stock.

I found a really good set of Ohlins coilovers with Eibach springs. The car was very stable on the road. Reaaly what I wanted to achieve. Amazing performance, amazing sound.... and simple look. I had to do something with exterior. Plus front struts required attention showing some points of rust.

Some pictures and to be continued :-)

Bennyboy1984, FRRACER and profaine like this.
Old 8th August 2019, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

So with years road traffic became worse and worse. Bad for manual transmission. And more and more modern cars became reaaly fast. Like BMW M5 Competition which runs my time with leather interior, automatic transmission and no hassle with climbing hills on triple plate clutch. Skyline becomes outdated. Sorry but true. New power levels needed to compete on the street. We become older and require more comfort. So I decided it's time to say goodbye to this project as increasing power will require insane amounts of money and "streetability" will go away. Gearbox is near its limit, engine requires forged components to get more power and it smells like tens of thousands of dollars with unknown result.
I feel like I need get back to toyotas with turboing V8s and so on.

After long discussions it was decided since the car is not a genuine GT-R it is impossible to sell it for premium money and most of the parts were sold. The engine was rebuit with all new seals, bearings, belts and stuff, car was fully resprayed and is now for sale.

Would I do it again? No. Yes, it became less expensive than genuine GT-R but time and efforts spent to the car are insane. Would I recommend doing the same to someone who wants to go this way? Hm... hard to say. If you have a friend with the garage, maybe. If not, absolutely NO! Paying for all these hours car hangs on a lifter waiting for parts and work with it. NO, again :-)

So now the car is basically a boosted up R33 GT-R in the R34 body with some options I couldn't sell for good money like exhaust and etc.

Some people ask me: could it be made looking like a genuine R34 GT-R? Yes, of course. But I didn't want to put plastic rear fenders. Genuine ones fit but are costy. Front can be converted relatively cheap. Interior fits too but front seats are also crazy money. Plus Getrags 6 speed are expensive these days.
Can be made? Yes. But not for me.

Simonh, V-SpecII, FRRACER and 2 others like this.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
zef
zef is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Nice project! Good job!

Old 10th August 2019, 05:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...

Was enjoying the write up at the beginning then realised this is basically a for sale ad with no price, a little disappointing, but ok... I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brendant81 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clrs View Post
So with years road traffic became worse and worse. Bad for manual transmission. And more and more modern cars became reaaly fast. Like BMW M5 Competition which runs my time with leather interior, automatic transmission and no hassle with climbing hills on triple plate clutch. Skyline becomes outdated. Sorry but true. New power levels needed to compete on the street. We become older and require more comfort. So I decided it's time to say goodbye to this project as increasing power will require insane amounts of money and "streetability" will go away. Gearbox is near its limit, engine requires forged components to get more power and it smells like tens of thousands of dollars with unknown result.
I feel like I need get back to toyotas with turboing V8s and so on.

After long discussions it was decided since the car is not a genuine GT-R it is impossible to sell it for premium money and most of the parts were sold. The engine was rebuit with all new seals, bearings, belts and stuff, car was fully resprayed and is now for sale.

Would I do it again? No. Yes, it became less expensive than genuine GT-R but time and efforts spent to the car are insane. Would I recommend doing the same to someone who wants to go this way? Hm... hard to say. If you have a friend with the garage, maybe. If not, absolutely NO! Paying for all these hours car hangs on a lifter waiting for parts and work with it. NO, again ***x1f642;

So now the car is basically a boosted up R33 GT-R in the R34 body with some options I couldn't sell for good money like exhaust and etc.

Some people ask me: could it be made looking like a genuine R34 GT-R? Yes, of course. But I didn't want to put plastic rear fenders. Genuine ones fit but are costy. Front can be converted relatively cheap. Interior fits too but front seats are also crazy money. Plus Getrags 6 speed are expensive these days.
Can be made? Yes. But not for me.

Would you sell the steering wheel mate ?
Old 10th August 2019, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
Was enjoying the write up at the beginning then realised this is basically a for sale ad with no price, a little disappointing, but ok... I suppose.
Price is in the sale thread which is separate. This is a project thread underlying and displaying all the work that has been done to make this a nice conversion using R33 GTR parts into a GT4 chassis.

Last edited by FRRACER; 10th August 2019 at 12:32 PM..
FRRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
There is a separate for sale thread. The primary goal of this one is to show that "conversion idea" is a long expensive road. I discussed it here previously and I know there are people who plans to do it as prices on R34 GT-Rs are rocketing to the skies these days. This thread is to discuss details of such conversion, difficulties, approaches and so on.
FRRACER likes this.
Old 10th August 2019, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendant81 View Post
Would you sell the steering wheel mate ?
I will give it for free to you if you buy the car :-)
Old 10th August 2019, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

The most popular conversion idea is to make a GT-T rear wheel drive car to be 4WD. The main problem is front subframe is different and chassis side members or how are they called are different. So 4WD front subframe does not bolt on to the rear wheel drive chassis. Cutting those members or subframe is not a good idea as we want stock-like conversion as close to OEM as possible. GT-Four version on the other side has the same front subframe as GT-R and does not require any work at all. RB26 sits there as genuine. The main issue is to find a good GT-Four coupe. Sedans are relatively easy to find but those "Autech-like" versions (Autech was an R33 GT-R sedan) are looking ugly to my taste. R34 sedan looks bad. Coupes are not easy to find at all and they are expensive too. Not that expensive as R34 GT-Rs but more expensive than GT-Ts for sure.
GT-Four coupe is the only approach to make a car close enough to a GT-R with mostly all the parts from it just bolted on.

Genuine R34 GT-R rear fenders are around 600 pounds each for new these days but the work to install them is far beyond that. Plus you will need to paint the most of the car which adds to the cost.

Front bumper/fenders/bonnet are relatively cheap especially if fiberglass versions are used.

6 speed Getrags are around 5-6K pounds and you will need a clutch and driveshafts, plus both differentials (front and rear) as they have much lower ratios - 3.545 compared to 4.3 in GT-Fours. Plus gearbox mounts. I see around 8K cost with labour.

Interior can be found at different prices but the costy part is front seats. Hard to find in good condition and are starting from 2k, I believe.

MFD (MultiFunction display) plus harness 2-2.5K.

R34's RB26 has small differences from R33 version, mostly coils, a slightly different camshafts and turbochargers. As all of them must be changed for 600+ hp, an older engine will work just fine. To make it look genuine only a cover must be painted cherry :-)

In my opinion the most difficult part in the conversion is wiring.. plus retaining an air conditioner which requires modifications in pipes. R34 RB25DE NEO loom is absolutely different and has less relays so a fair amount of time must be spent to make it right.

In the end the conversion is possible but requires a lot of work. If you have a possibility to do most of work by yourself it can save a lot of money. But the final result will be a car with no "true blood" and its cost will be lower than genuine GT-R. The car will look like a GT-R, will perform like a GT-R but will have different cost in making and in selling.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

A guy asked in PM: how did you seal a coil connector this interesting way?
Maybe will be interesting to others as well.

A picture says it all. Of the left is OEM R35 coil connector. On the right is a modified one. The rest is DR-25 heat shrinking tube used in most racing applications and a glued heat shrinking to seal a connector. That's it. All of the secret.

For racing dieharders who want to seal a harness in extreme way there are one into two and 6 into one heat shrinkable boots with glue.

Last edited by Clrs; 10th August 2019 at 03:18 PM..
Clrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cir2kuk is driving like its stolen!

Great looking car! How easy was the rb26 conversion and what engine harness did you use? Also where did you get the front bumper from?
Old 10th August 2019, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cir2kuk View Post
Great looking car! How easy was the rb26 conversion and what engine harness did you use? Also where did you get the front bumper from?
Thanks. Just wrote a post above about conversion. The harness is a mix of R33 GT-R and RB25DE NEO looms. Mostly R33 GT-R.
Front bumper is a fiberglass adaptation of Nismo R34 GT-R bumper for narrow fenders. I could use wide front fenders and genuine bumper but from my viewpoint a narrow rear would look bad with wide front. Genuine rear wide fenders are 1200 pounds plus work and painting.
Old 10th August 2019, 04:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply! I went down the genuine rear fenders route and front bumper, bonnet and front fenders. I know it won't fetch GTR money but I'm not doing it for that reason

https://www.instagram.com/r34gtt_rb26dett/

Still work in progress lol
V-SpecII likes this.
Old 10th August 2019, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Old 10th August 2019, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Clrs is Supertec Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cir2kuk View Post
Thanks for the reply! I went down the genuine rear fenders route and front bumper, bonnet and front fenders. I know it won't fetch GTR money but I'm not doing it for that reason

https://www.instagram.com/r34gtt_rb26dett/

Still work in progress lol
Wow. Very expensive! Rear wheel drive?

Last edited by Clrs; 10th August 2019 at 04:36 PM..
Clrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clrs View Post
Wow. Very expensive! Rear wheel drive?
Yeah RWD and yeah cost is raising lol