The Reason for quiet Forums - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Insurance

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th November 2019, 11:20 AM   #41 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabednconfused View Post
A couple things-

I think some organization in the forum could help. Way too many subforums/categories which most people don't venture to at all, yet we need answers for some of the questions, so its clear why others would go to Facebook for the instant hit; there is only one feed on facebook and everyone sees your question!

I don't have facebook anymore so thats off limits to me, however the posts I see from there are full of misinformation, falsehoods and just general bullshit.

---------------
You need to make this site the GTR go-to. Correct, guided info in stickies, remove duplicate threads, highlight an archive of the best info for new GTR owners etc...

This site needs a spring cleaning. I am sure your traffic is high but everyone is just lurking. Another idea is to make the forum private so you have to be a member to view everything.

If they are logged in and searching around, they will see new things you post and that will probably spark some new users.

Finally, as this site is clearly UK-centric, maybe transitioning to a more global URL might grab in people from the states who are now just getting GTR's.There are currently no US forums which have remotely your traffic level. This will bring US sponsors in as well so that will be helpful.
All great advice, thank you. We know the layout needs addressing but it is hard as each section is full of good information and "cleaning" that up is nigh on imposible. Most people either find the forum by Google into a specific thread, click "new posts", or use the search. So, browsing is minimal.

With regards the URL, it makes no sense to try to "globalise" it as it would likely damage the legacy SEO and at the end of the day our location actually qualifies us as experts given the length of time we've had the Skylines..

The key is the new platform will have a proper search engine that actually works, as well as numerous other "modern" features. It's gonna be a BIG change but long term will be for the best
e30h26, SKNAM and gabednconfused like this.
Old 18th November 2019, 11:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
gabednconfused is mad the forum is dead
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
All great advice, thank you. We know the layout needs addressing but it is hard as each section is full of good information and "cleaning" that up is nigh on imposible. Most people either find the forum by Google into a specific thread, click "new posts", or use the search. So, browsing is minimal.

With regards the URL, it makes no sense to try to "globalise" it as it would likely damage the legacy SEO and at the end of the day our location actually qualifies us as experts given the length of time we've had the Skylines..

The key is the new platform will have a proper search engine that actually works, as well as numerous other "modern" features. It's gonna be a BIG change but long term will be for the best
Very good, but dont you think we can consolidate some of the forum sections? I really think this would be a benefit to the forum. You should be able to merge two sub forums together, no?
Old 18th November 2019, 12:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabednconfused View Post
Very good, but dont you think we can consolidate some of the forum sections? I really think this would be a benefit to the forum. You should be able to merge two sub forums together, no?
We can do this, what do you have in mind?
TREG likes this.

Old 18th November 2019, 01:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
We can do this, what do you have in mind?
I will send you a PM tonight with suggested changes. First thing I can think about is combining 'general skyline chat' with the main skyline page, same for the GTR group.

Each of the two sub forums has 50 or so viewers right now, but they are essentially the same thing. Boosting that to 100+ viewers really allows for a quick reaction and less chance of a thread being in the wrong place etc..

Same thing goes for all of the technical subforums under each group. Combine them into one. Technical Chat.

There are a bunch of situations like this I can point out later.
TREG likes this.
Old 20th November 2019, 08:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
New Users

As I am waiting for Mook to get back to me, I figured I would publish my suggestions to stir up some conversation on this:

"1. Combine this https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-...line-chat.html with https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/nissan-skyline.html

They are basically the same thing. That combines your two biggest viewer groups into one.

(same for R35 area)

2. I think you can combine car sub forums into (for both R35 and the older group) these areas:

a. Maintenance & How-to
b. Create a 'technical' area, combining: Engine, electronics, turbos, suspension, and exterior, wheels, etc...
c. Build threads (could remove stagea? no one on the site has one...)

3. I would bin off the R36 rumor forum or move it to the bottom.

4. Chatter and Non-skyline chat AND Off topic can be combined, they are the same thing.

5. Cars for sale- combine these all into one, singular area. For vendors and non. What this does is funnels traffic to all of them. You might miss a car or not look in the main cars for sale area and select a sub group currently, while we see some people are posting cars in the main area instead.

If it's a vendor car, give them a way to tag the post in the list with 'VENDOR' or trader' next to the link so buyers know.

Finding info is really hard on the site, and I think you guys can make a concerted effort to sticky threads, or at least create a few quick start guides to get people looking at the important stuff needed for ownership of these cars.

A lot of that might have to do with the out-dated info, or old threads where photos are no longer visible, but I think by cleaning up the Skyline section you will see a huge influx of traffic.

For those of us from the states, we have no where to look. Lucky for me I am UK based currently, but I know many of my friends literally are discovering everything for the first time, when they obviously do not need to. You guys here already have found the answers, its all just buried on the site haha."
Jimbostir likes this.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:57 AM   #46 (permalink)
Site Admin.

sorry, not ignoring you, catching up on SEMA follow ups but will give you my input ASAP.
gabednconfused likes this.
Old 21st November 2019, 05:49 PM   #47 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
I really don’t see the benefit of combining sections (as per your example re Technical).

That’s like heading to the library and asking them to forget about sub-sections based on subject matter and instead lumping everything under the heading “Books.”

Sections give clarity and ease of access to the most appropriate thread based on already defined filters (in the forum’s case, models).

The worst forums to try and read imho are those with little or no sectioning by subject. The other type are forums with cross over between said subject sections that means info is haphazardly placed. In my experience that tends to be exacerbated by poor moderation also.

An example would be Audi forums where S4 and RS4 have different sections yet share 95% of the technical stuff. I don’t think there’s enough shared information between models to warrant shared forums.

Just my tuppence worth of course.
David and dinny like this.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:00 AM   #48 (permalink)
G-Zilla is in the garage
New Users

Can I offer some advice as well? Gabe mentioned of making this site private. Well, whenever I have some school work that my Professors give us and look up the answers on Google and stumble upon one of the most popular cheating websites that does homework for you. They give a small preview, which catches your eye, but the rest is blurred so you can join their website to view their answer. I think if you did this to most of the sections besides maybe the newbie "introduce yourself" thread it would attract a lot of new users. I get the sense that most of the facebook groups just copy and paste the information they get from this site or share links of this site. Because every single time I log on here I see a bunch of guests and maybe a handful of users. Also could it also be possible to make some sort of V35/V36/V37 section to maybe attract Infiniti owners from the UK/Europe as well as the US? Or are there plans of merging some subforums? I also do not have a facebook/twitter/snapchat. I have an instagram but I probably go on it around twice a month.

Last edited by G-Zilla; 23rd November 2019 at 04:02 AM..
G-Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 05:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Next Friday. EEK!..... and just to answer a couple of posts, restricting access to the forum is NOT the way to increase traffic. In fact it's the total opposite The easier it is to register and post, the better.
Jimbostir and gabednconfused like this.