The Reason for quiet Forums - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th September 2019, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Taven888 is yo
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

The Reason for quiet Forums

Is it Facebook or likes of instagram or maybe everyone is now an expert or cars?

what do you guys feel is the reason for forums not been as active as they once was.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site
New Users

Been covered a few times but the general consensus is the FB groups gaining popularity.

Easy to discuss and share info and experiences.

I love the forum, but admittedly the FB groups I've joined do what the forum did but much more easily and efficiently.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Taven888 is yo

Thats a good point, ive recently deleted fb but thats its best use it my opinion.

Have forums not moved with the times maybe?

Old 10th September 2019, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
sh3lldon is on Instagram - 98bcnr33
GT-RDC Member

What are good fb groups for real GTR, RB26 content

This forum is one of the worst I have been on for posters digging up massively out of date threads easy solution to help is to stop the new member cant PM rule as its mostly new members trying to buy stuff from ancient sale posts

Looking through there also seems to be arguments on here and people alluding to certain sponsors getting special treatment, not being on here for long and reading these posts has made me take some posts written on here with a pinch of salt

Other forums I am on are still thriving despite facebook and their popularity has grown.

Last edited by sh3lldon; 10th September 2019 at 10:52 AM..
sh3lldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lldon View Post
What are good fb groups for real GTR, RB26 content

This forum is one of the worst I have been on for posters digging up massively out of date threads easy solution to help is to stop the new member cant PM rule as its mostly new members trying to buy stuff from ancient sale posts

Looking through there also seems to be arguments on here and people alluding to certain sponsors getting special treatment, not being on here for long and reading these posts has made me take some posts written on here with a pinch of salt

Other forums I am on are still thriving despite facebook and their popularity has grown.
I've only been a skyline owner for 3 years, but during the first year or so it was great being on the forum and where my mrs couldn't tear me away from my phone.

Today, in all honesty, I only check this forum just for the odd sale ad or for Kev's R32 restoration update (amongst 1 or 2 other resto builds).

The "Nissan Skyline GTR Track & Tech" group on FB is great. Lots of activity and discussion. The admin is fairly strict but that's what makes it great as people stick to the point of the groups purpose.
sh3lldon likes this.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
It's an arse with teeth (think about it if you have not heard that before !).

There are fewer posts, so people look (and therefore post) less. And since less people are bothering to look and post, the post count goes down and round and round you go.

I won't touch FB with yours, so if everyone goes off to FB then I shall withdraw into my own little world.
ac427, K66 SKY, MS33 and 3 others like this.
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Taven888 is yo

agree with the above

does everyone seem busier nowadays or is that just me?
Old 11th September 2019, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ooo Matron !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taven888 View Post
agree with the above

does everyone seem busier nowadays or is that just me?
I'm not busy. I never understood what this "busy life" that everyone now claims they have. I don't have one - I do not rush around like a twat all day long and when not at work I do pretty much bugger all.
MS33, Taven888 and dazzabb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11th September 2019, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

From what I can make out from being a forum member for the best part of a year is that there genuinely is a lot of useful information already on this forum and I'm always searching for things I'm interested in and usually hit upon something useful/interesting to me.

I agree that there have been some "open" spats, and there appear to be some strong views about this company vs that company etc (especially servicing costs, tuning etc) but even those discussions are useful - we all have our own opinions.

I also think a large % forum members have had multiple GTR's (of different types) and therefore probably used the forum more when they first got their cars as owners were finding their way through sorting out servicing/tuning etc and what works, what doesn't, where to go etc etc. That learning curve is probably less now for all models, no real science to it, just the passage of time.

And that I think is one of the main reasons for the post count dropping - either you can find the answer to your query by doing a search, or if its something quirky and never happened before/reported on then ask away via the forum. And there probably isn't that much of the latter, so much has been covered and shared already on this forum (and others).

I believe this forum to be one of the best I have ever used, the members certainly seem to be welcoming and despite being asked tens of times a year about which brake pads to use, or what's the fitting sizes for the undertray bolts etc etc? most questions/comments receive a good reply.

I'm not a fan of FB and social media in general, for me this forum is great in what it offers (quiet or otherwise)
K66 SKY and Chronos like this.
Old 11th September 2019, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKNAM View Post
From what I can make out from being a forum member for the best part of a year is that there genuinely is a lot of useful information already on this forum and I'm always searching for things I'm interested in and usually hit upon something useful/interesting to me.

I agree that there have been some "open" spats, and there appear to be some strong views about this company vs that company etc (especially servicing costs, tuning etc) but even those discussions are useful - we all have our own opinions.

I also think a large % forum members have had multiple GTR's (of different types) and therefore probably used the forum more when they first got their cars as owners were finding their way through sorting out servicing/tuning etc and what works, what doesn't, where to go etc etc. That learning curve is probably less now for all models, no real science to it, just the passage of time.

And that I think is one of the main reasons for the post count dropping - either you can find the answer to your query by doing a search, or if its something quirky and never happened before/reported on then ask away via the forum. And there probably isn't that much of the latter, so much has been covered and shared already on this forum (and others).

I believe this forum to be one of the best I have ever used, the members certainly seem to be welcoming and despite being asked tens of times a year about which brake pads to use, or what's the fitting sizes for the undertray bolts etc etc? most questions/comments receive a good reply.

I'm not a fan of FB and social media in general, for me this forum is great in what it offers (quiet or otherwise)
that reminds me, i can hear this rattling noise under my R35, could it be bell housing??
K66 SKY, matty32 and SKNAM like this.
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
matt j is at Strawberry Racing
Following EJH#25

Take the kid gloves off and let folk argue it out...
gtr mart likes this.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ooo Matron !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
that reminds me, i can hear this rattling noise under my R35, could it be bell housing??
The rattling noise under your car could be your mate in his 106 !
Chronos likes this.

Old 11th September 2019, 09:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
NITO is officially out of the Skyline scene!
Registered

Cars owned: CLS63S AMG Shooting Brake
Surely the single biggest reason is posting photos. Since photobucket tried to screw every forum/poster, people probably thought sod losing everything they’d spent so much time documenting, whereas on fb, photo hosting is a doddle.

I went and got my own domain with hosting for pics, but everything has moved to fb groups it seems. Pity, I far prefer forums. Now I just document everything I do on my own private blog, at least I have a record that won’t get sabotaged by a free/greedy photo hoster or a forum that doesn’t pay their bill and goes tits up or whatever. If forums had easy and free photo hosting they’d probably still be busy.

Sign of the times, it’s happened on a few forums I’m on that people have migrated to an fb page.
Red Duke likes this.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jimbostir is Wondering: Will ANDY H ever get his 32 on the road?.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Datsun
I prefer the forum. You don’t have to look at your old school mates dinner every time you go on the forum and I find it easier to find stuff ie, everything is categorised. Posting pics isn’t difficult either...7CF4D299-0520-4C1D-82A7-CEF8624F4782.jpeg
Click the paper clip icon. You can’t do it if you go on quick reply but if you go advanced it gives you this option
Red Duke likes this.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ooo Matron !

The attach "paper clip icon" is a bit crap for pictures because it attaches a picture as a smaller version and then you have to click on it to see the picture in full size.
David likes this.

Old 12th September 2019, 05:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Facebook is just convenient and ultimately people are lazy. We have plans to address that
Jimbostir and Taven888 like this.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
When you upload a photo to Facebook you no longer own the rights to the image, Facebook do in perpetuity. That and a number of other data ownership issues are why I will never and have never used facebook
MS33, V-SpecII and james309 like this.
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member

I tend to look at this on a computer. I look at the other stuff on my phone. I've been busy of late and just not had time to log on.

I also find with some of the other groups the amount of interaction and meets is much higher.

Build thread:

Items for sale:
gtr mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
james309 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

I find on FB plenty of "experts" and opinions. Forums are a better place for genuine enthusiasts.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jimbostir likes this.
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jimbostir is Wondering: Will ANDY H ever get his 32 on the road?.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Datsun
It takes two seconds to go on the forum on your phone. If it’s saved as a bookmark it’s as easy as going on Facebook. There’s a community here with the same illness keeping us all in common. I personally don’t use the “enhanced mobile” site, as i think it’s massively Pooh.
This is a good forum. We should keep it going.