Modifying BNR3X - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By K66 SKY
  • 1 Post By jnoor
  • 2 Post By Cal3533
  • 1 Post By Juucso
  • 1 Post By K66 SKY
  • 1 Post By joshuaho96
  • 2 Post By kenecchi
  • 3 Post By Spiidfriik
  • 3 Post By demo8ii
  • 1 Post By Glencooi

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Juucso is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Modifying BNR3X

Hi everyone!

I am really really interested how much people are willing to modify their GT-Rs in the future. Price of our vehicles are skyrocketing and the more stock they're, the higher the price tag is.

Would you paint your car in different color than the one it came from factory? Or could you shave your engine bay for looks? How much mods is too much for you? Personally I am not sure how far I would go. Doing wide body or cutting up the body on my BNR34 is a BIG nope for me. Shaving engine bay for cleaner look is a bit tricky. You'll never be going to stock from that easily. Even painting the car different color than it is on the VIN number makes me think about it twice.

Am I the only one with this problem, wanting to modify, but not sure how much is too much!

Some people go with different bumpers, hoods, fenders etc.., but those are bolt-ons that can be to factory units easily. What do you think?
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juucso View Post
I am really really interested how much people are willing to modify their GT-Rs in the future. Price of our vehicles are skyrocketing and the more stock they're, the higher the price tag is.
For me, I'm not at all interested in its re-sale value so I'll modify mine to suit Me. It was a Car I'd always wanted and now I finally have one, I don't ever plan on Selling. Modifications are a Personal thing too, Some will like them...Others will hate them. So?

Quote:
Would you paint your car in different color than the one it came from factory? Or could you shave your engine bay for looks? How much mods is too much for you? Personally I am not sure how far I would go. Doing wide body or cutting up the body on my BNR34 is a BIG nope for me. Shaving engine bay for cleaner look is a bit tricky. You'll never be going to stock from that easily. Even painting the car different color than it is on the VIN number makes me think about it twice.
Change its colour, Nope...NEVER! I'm quite lucky as I'm 100% happy with its OEM Midnight Purple hue. One of only two thousand two hundred and twenty two according to the GT-R Register. But if I was just like Toni on here who only likes EV1 - Lightning Yellow, Then I'd have no problem at all respraying my Skyline to this new colour because it was never available on my model/version of Nissan's Flagship. How is that for a contradictory answer!

Not ever really been into the clean/shaved under bonnet look but would have no problems at all altering things from its current configuration under its hood for any new potential added performance or more reliability gains.

Its already got Do Luck bodykit fitted, Top Secret Bonnet along with Nismo N1 Vents, Bonnet and rear Spoiler, Had no problems modifying its front lip Spoiler to accept an aftermarket Greddy undertray too.

Quote:
Am I the only one with this problem, wanting to modify, but not sure how much is too much!
Doubt you are alone Juucso. Its only the Folks who are into the short term Skyline GT-R Ownership that worry about such things mate.

Quote:
Some people go with different bumpers, hoods, fenders etc.., but those are bolt-ons that can be to factory units easily. What do you think?
Exactly...Almost anything can be reversed if somebody really puts their minds to it, Deep pockets and an unlimited OEM spares supply/availability obviously. Thing is, Most of Us that modify Our Cars do so to stand out from the rest of the breed seen out on Our roads at an Event or enthusiast Meeting. Because of this, Some of the tastefully modified Skyline GT-R's seen regularly become legendary in their Own right and some other Folks fall in love with these vehicles and will snap them up for themselves if they ever come up For Sale on the open Market.

Bottom line is, Stop worrying about who thinks what about Your Car and just Drive/enjoy the bloody thing!

JM2PW!
Juucso likes this.
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

I've thought about this a fair bit. My 32 is in pretty good nick and valued quite high.

Besides the exhaust, it's completely stock... as in completely, original radio, carpets, absolutely everything. I love the untouched original look but at the same time I want to do so much to it.

In the end I've decided to only do things that can't be seen (apart from adding Nismo items because everyone wants to see them). So if a mod can't be seen then it's fine, this mainly revolves around the engine bay because exterior wise I'm leaving it as is. So things like cams, hard piping, upgraded ignition etc are things that can be easily hidden without taking away from the stock look.

I think if your mods are chosen carefully and as long as they don't alter the originality of the vehicle then it shouldn't effect the value of it and adding Nismo items should only increase it's value imo.
Cal3533 likes this.

Old 3rd October 2019, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cal3533 is Broke :(
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
For me personally I always go with what I want. If I wanted to put huge daft spoilers and big bolt on arches I would - It's your car at the end of the day and i'm not all that bothered about the resale value. However, if you are - Your best bet is to stay standard. Keep the mileage off it and leave it in the garage

However i'm more of a fan of the OEM+type of modifying. I like my car to look standardish with the bonus of a carbon splitter or lip etc with NISMO suspension arms and what not.

If I were to respray the car a different colour - it would be a full shell job including the inside of the boot engine bay, etc, the full thing. - Not just the outside like some folk do. Maybe i'm just a bit more picky. Yes it will affect the resale value. But if you put the effort into the car and don't skimp on the modifying you may still get a good value from the car (if not the same - depending)

I suppose most, if not all my 'mods' are able to be put back to stock if I ever wanted to. But the enjoyment from owning my car is more valuable than the resale value, in my eyes.
K66 SKY and Juucso like this.
Cal3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Juucso is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

I love to hear your opinions!

I am also glad to hear that people still are and will be modifying these vehicles in future.
Restoring seems to be a thing now as the value increases and I am not against it, but doing what you like to your car makes it more personal to me.

I have always done what I want with my cars. I don't mind if people do not like what I do or talk crap about my decisions. I just like to hear opinions as there is a possibility to have ideas from others too!

I love what Top Secret has made for BNR34. I would love to get everything they have for this thing and eventually, I think I'll get them.

Repainting the car is something I am considering. Maybe it is just the fact that I am afraid of it as it can go horribly wrong when shops try to go the easy way...

My car has been fitted with some fake (ewww) Nismo side skirts and rear spats, single turbo, standalone ecu, exhaust etc.. so I am not afraid to modify mine.
K66 SKY likes this.
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3533 View Post
If I were to respray the car a different colour - it would be a full shell job including the inside of the boot engine bay, etc, the full thing. - Not just the outside like some folk do. Maybe i'm just a bit more picky. Yes it will affect the resale value. But if you put the effort into the car and don't skimp on the modifying you may still get a good value from the car (if not the same - depending)

I suppose most, if not all my 'mods' are able to be put back to stock if I ever wanted to. But the enjoyment from owning my car is more valuable than the resale value, in my eyes.
Couldn't agree with you more Cal3533!

Do your Own thing and create your Own unique Legacy.

Some Legendary Modified GT-R's are worth quite a bit more than the average just because of exactly what they are/what they have become....

JM2PW!
Cal3533 likes this.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
joshuaho96 is unaware they can edit their status

It's a car. Original injectors, dry rotted 20 year old tires, and misfiring coilpacks detract from its core purpose.
matty32 likes this.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
matty32 is In tokyo
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Il guess

Outside of buying the car £70k (bnr32)

Yet to import and yet to pay Midori

Up to you as to how far you go
Old 4th October 2019, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
kenecchi is driving a fake GTR

If you use quality, name-brand parts and keep maintenance and service records, modifications shouldn't have a huge impact on the car's resale value.
lightspeed and Cal3533 like this.
Old 5th October 2019, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
matty32 is In tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenecchi View Post
If you use quality, name-brand parts and keep maintenance and service records, modifications shouldn't have a huge impact on the car's resale value.
the issue with this is always how much the quality parts cost in the first place.

you will always be in a good place when placing them on your car / GT-R but dont expect to get anywhere near the value back.

Old 8th October 2019, 05:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Spiidfriik is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Skyline GT-R R33, Celica GT-Four ST205, Eagle Talon TSi G1b, M5 Touring E34
I dont want a stock or even close to stock car. Certainly not a stock Skyline. I want a fire breathing monster that looks as mean as it goes. I wont ever sell it so value is not very importent for me. It will always be worth more than i paid for it, but most of the money spent modifying it is probably lost.
lightspeed, K66 SKY and ShopGTR like this.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
lightspeed is mapping Infinity
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
Standard Skylines are lovely but ....they were always about modifying for me.
I bought a library of Hyper Revs and chose from the widest menu of tuning parts ever seen.
Even my wheel studs are Nismo.....

Having said that, externally other than Nismo body kit, Group A mirrors, wheels and exhaust, it’s as Nissan intended. Bodykitted and crazy paint just ends up on the scrap yard or rotting in a barn sooner.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
demo8ii is unaware they can edit their status

Exterior on mine is and always will be oem+.

But on the mechanical and performance side of things, it’s all about modifying and improving the car to get the best out of it.

Mine actually is a black V-Spec II bnr32. So quite rare and maybe valuable as well. But I’ve already bought it with the intent of making it ‘mine’ over time. That’s what it’s all about.
K66 SKY, ShopGTR and Juucso like this.
Old 9th October 2019, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
Bodykitted and crazy paint just ends up on the scrap yard or rotting in a barn sooner.
Hope not!
Old 12th October 2019, 06:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Glencooi is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by K66 SKY View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Cal3533!

Do your Own thing and create your Own unique Legacy.

Some Legendary Modified GT-R's are worth quite a bit more than the average just because of exactly what they are/what they have become....

JM2PW!
The pictures are very awesome.
K66 SKY likes this.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
lightspeed is mapping Infinity
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
Quote:
Old 9th October 2019, 07:56 PM #14 (permalink)
K66 SKY
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
Bodykitted and crazy paint just ends up on the scrap yard or rotting in a barn sooner.
Hope not!
What I meant by that is that often wildly visually modified cars are too owner specific and the love is lost once they change hands. Often body kits are poorly fitted which starts off rust. Personally, I’ve got a soft spot for Veilside Combat R32’s.