Skyline GT-R or Nissan GT-R?? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th October 2019, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
Skyline GT-R or Nissan GT-R??

This below is pretty much how I felt after driving a MY14 and my BCNR33 back to back :-

Anyone else agree?

Kadir likes this.
Old 9th October 2019, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K66 SKY View Post

Anyone else agree?

I guess not then.....
Old 10th October 2019, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Also just watched that, very topical as I cant get the R35 itch out of my head, particularly as the value of the Skylines creep up (and mine being a very good example like I see being sold for £30K).

Quite a few went from GTr back to R34 so you're not alone in for sure.
K66 SKY likes this.

Old 10th October 2019, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
very topical as I cant get the R35 itch out of my head,

Quite a few went from GTr back to R34 so you're not alone in for sure.
Have you driven an R35 Alex C? As good as they are performance-wise, I sadly felt that the Nissan GT-R hadn't moved the goal posts far enough from the Skyline GT-R's for me to lust after and want one.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Yes but in between a 3 years break from Skylines so not easy to compare at this time. I loved the R35 also, was expecting it to feel too modern and sterile in the pursuit of speed like many a fast Audi etc but it felt much more lively and interactive albeit a a much greater rate of knots than Skylines take to get the same connection. Not as much fun in general driving conditions though I agree.

My Skyline is a bit of a pain on weekend longer trips with the family due to the quite high NVH, so an R35 ticks most boxes for me especially if one (e.g Stage 2 2011 as an example) could conceivably be had for my car + ~£10K. That seems good value in purely logical terms but as most Skyline owners know emotion is often greater than logic! need to drive a 35 again I think to make my mind up.
K66 SKY and Chronos like this.
Old 10th October 2019, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
I went R33, R32 to R35 and back again.

2012 Litchfield stage 1 GT-R is all you realistically need if you can drive it 100% to its limits - it really is a fantastic car despite its weight on track and on the road - once you ditch the tramlining runflats.

However, there’s something more pure and engaging (if considerably slower) in old Skyline GT-R’s.

That’s one of the main reasons I went back to an R32.

I’ll also add, the R32 is a complete s**t if you have children and car seats, yet struggling to fit the family in well also adds to more of an engaging experience than the “plug and play” isofix of an R35.
TREG and fletchbog like this.

Last edited by Trev; 10th October 2019 at 01:30 PM..
Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2019, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Have you driven an R35 Alex C? As good as they are performance-wise, I sadly felt that the Nissan GT-R hadn't moved the goal posts far enough from the Skyline GT-R's for me to lust after and want one.
Are you for real?

0-60 in 2.7 seconds, 196 MPH top speed.

They destroy old school Skylines mate, even modified ones.
TREG, fletchbog and Chronos like this.
Old 10th October 2019, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
I guess if you didn't use the car as a daily the 34 would be ok but the 35 is just a better daily use car imho.
Very different cars to compare-The 34 would be amazing to own but the 35 would tick more boxes for me
Old 10th October 2019, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
davew is loving the new club
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35,R34,R33,R32 and KGC10
Well Ive owned nearly all LOL! My love now sits with my CBA R35, it's kind of the R32 of Skylines. Raw feeling drive compared with the later models, plenty of potential without going crazy and its sooooooo easy to use.

Thats my choice of the moment.
TREG, Alex C, Chronos and 1 others like this.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Talking Can of Worms time again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Are you for real?
Last time I checked, Yes I am....

Quote:
0-60 in 2.7 seconds, 196 MPH top speed.

Quote:
They destroy old school Skylines mate, even modified ones.
Only in a Game of Top Trumps.....

We've already been down this well trodden path Trev :-

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/380298-s...ine-gtr-2.html

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the context of "Destroy" here because 1990 RB26 old technology verses 2008 VR38 stuff from Nissan almost two decades newer which results in only a 1.1 second difference to 60mph (poxy old skool Manual v's a fancy Automatic transmission) and just 5mph less Top Speed from a 1996 R33 when directly compared to the larger capacity 3.8L V6 doesn't sound like a true definition of destroyed performance-wise to me!

To destroy something when used in a conversation to describe a performance advantage of one vehicle over another of similar ilk suggests to me at least that it was so much more powerful that when the better Cars potential was fully utilised, The Driver of the lesser of the two Cars just wouldn't know in which direction the other machine had gone.

It didn't look like that 2019 50th Anniversary Nissan GT-R would leave that Bayside Blue BNR34 for dead in that You Tube Video either.

Oh well, JM2PW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Well Ive owned nearly all LOL! My love now sits with my CBA R35, it's kind of the R32 of Skylines. Raw feeling drive compared with the later models, plenty of potential without going crazy and its sooooooo easy to use.
Kinda proves the point. Larger Car exterior-wise but way smaller for its Occupants on the interior than the R33, Easy to drive at nine tenths fast pace with little or no skill required, Excellent Brakes, Similarly great Steering but uninspiring dull sounding V6 engine. Its got some poke granted but now missing the evocativeness of the earlier raw Racecars for the Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Thats my choice of the moment.
That's great Dave! Who know's, Maybe when I get much older I too might fall for the charms of the R35 GT-R as well??

Anyway, Gets People talking on the Forum, Doesn't it! LOL!
Old 11th October 2019, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

To keep the debate going ......Ö I'm with Trev on the "destroy" bit performance wise. A stock mid-90's R33 V Spec might only be a second (or two) slower to 60 than a stock '08 R35, but that gap opens to about 5 sec by 100, and widens massively more (20 seconds+) by the time speed hits 150
Trev, TREG and Chronos like this.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
I also would say you have to work hard at an RB26 to keep up with the 35, which is in comparison completely effortless, which is why it feels so much faster.
Simonh, TREG and Chronos like this.

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Welsh weekend in November
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKNAM View Post
but that gap opens to about 5 sec by 100, and widens massively more (20 seconds+) by the time speed hits 150
Yeah, Yeah....Tis something we all experience daily on Our Trips to Work or when we pop to Tesco's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigmr2 View Post
I also would say you have to work hard at an RB26 to keep up with the 35, which is in comparison completely effortless, which is why it feels so much faster.
And dare I say, Less evocative as a result?
lightspeed, Jimbostir and SKNAM like this.
Old 12th October 2019, 04:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
joshuaho96 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

The R35 is faster and yes it is a better daily driver but I have a few issues with it:

1. The DCT of the R35 is an early 6 speed variant that is kind of fragile and not very refined even now. No manual transmission either. Obviously the manual going away is the way the GT-R goes but still a disappointment.

2. The VR38DETT is a solid engine but no inline 6 is a sign of the time when it was in development. The world has gone back to inline 6s with downsizing to I4 in most models. Honestly speaking after driving something with an RB26 the smoothness of an inline 6 is hard to give up. A VR38 is just naturally going to vibrate more even though the R35 is better insulated.

3. Packaging. The R35 interior is just small relative to its massive size. The rear seats are not usable because the transaxle is right under it. The engine is very high up compared to the R32/R33/R34. The weight distribution is barely better than the R33 despite an aluminum block V6. The chassis is definitely much more rigid and crashworthy but 52/48 weight distribution while a BMW 340i xDrive achieves the same with a longer I6 tells me it wasn't really worth it outside of engine commonality with their transverse platforms. Crashworthiness is not impossible to achieve with an I6 either, BMW does great with small overlap crashes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjXg9a7guA0

4. Suspension/weight. The R35 is just rock hard if you want it to actually compete with modern sports cars, and not very fast if you want it to be reasonably comfortable. The R33 and R34 are not that stiff even in VSpec form and were competitive despite this.

The R33 GT-R proves a lot of this out, it's not as wide but otherwise roughly the same size as the R35 GT-R and can legitimately seat 4 people instead of 2 adults and 2 very small children.

I think the R36 GT-R and next generation Skyline is where Nissan needs to fully embrace I4T + I6T as their new longitudinal engine strategy, with I4 + I4T as their transverse engine lineup. Inline 4s can deliver 300 horsepower now, it's not like a FWD platform can actually handle much more than that with good road manners.
K66 SKY likes this.
Old 12th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
R35 Section manager

Wink

Quote:

It didn't look like that 2019 50th Anniversary Nissan GT-R would leave that Bayside Blue BNR34 for dead in that You Tube Video either.

That was the one thing that wasn't tested on the video which is a shame as it would of been good to see the difference between the 2. I think the 35 with the torque difference would of pulled away comfortably at the start and gradually increased the gap between the 2 over the distance.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
joshuaho96 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREG View Post
That was the one thing that wasn't tested on the video which is a shame as it would of been good to see the difference between the 2. I think the 35 with the torque difference would of pulled away comfortably at the start and gradually increased the gap between the 2 over the distance.
I think that's not in doubt. 3.8L vs 2.6-2.8L of displacement, most RBs don't have any form of VVT, most RBs have absolutely archaic fuel injectors, no tricks like direct injection to run more timing iso-AFR. The turbos are super old tech as well. It had some advanced technology like sodium filled exhaust valves and oil cooled pistons for its time but tons of engines have those kinds of tech these days.
TREG likes this.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Last time I checked, Yes I am....

Only in a Game of Top Trumps.....

We've already been down this well trodden path Trev :-

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/380298-s...ine-gtr-2.html

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the context of "Destroy" here because 1990 RB26 old technology verses 2008 VR38 stuff from Nissan almost two decades newer which results in only a 1.1 second difference to 60mph (poxy old skool Manual v's a fancy Automatic transmission) and just 5mph less Top Speed from a 1996 R33 when directly compared to the larger capacity 3.8L V6 doesn't sound like a true definition of destroyed performance-wise to me!

To destroy something when used in a conversation to describe a performance advantage of one vehicle over another of similar ilk suggests to me at least that it was so much more powerful that when the better Cars potential was fully utilised, The Driver of the lesser of the two Cars just wouldn't know in which direction the other machine had gone.

Oh well, JM2PW!

Kinda proves the point. Larger Car exterior-wise but way smaller for its Occupants on the interior than the R33, Easy to drive at nine tenths fast pace with little or no skill required, Excellent Brakes, Similarly great Steering but uninspiring dull sounding V6 engine. Its got some poke granted but now missing the evocativeness of the earlier raw Racecars for the Road.

That's great Dave! Who know's, Maybe when I get much older I too might fall for the charms of the R35 GT-R as well??

Anyway, Gets People talking on the Forum, Doesn't it! LOL!
Bit of a tit arenít you.

Iíve owned them all (except an R34) so Iíd say Iím pretty well placed to say I know what Iím talking about.

Top Trumps? Yeah, be immature if you like but facts and figures are just that, FACTS.

If you think chucking a near 1,800 KG 600 BHP GT-R around on track with all the driving aids OFF is easy or for ďold peopleĒ then youíre a bigger **** than youíve already made yourself look like.

Over and out.
Chronos likes this.
Old 13th October 2019, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Wink Want Your Dummy back now You've thrown Your Toys out of the Pram Trev??

Quote:
Bit of a tit arenít you.
ROTFLMAOPMSL, And You're not I suppose?

Quote:
Iíve owned them all (except an R34) so Iíd say Iím pretty well placed to say I know what Iím talking about.
Ooooo, So? Still not going to k1$$ your ar$e Trev....

Quote:
Top Trumps? Yeah, be immature if you like but facts and figures are just that, FACTS.
Was going too anyway But Thanks for permission to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
This is true.
Here's some factory comparisons

Nismo R34 Z-tune @ Tsukuba - 1.01.15 (500hp)

R35 GT-R Nismo @ Tsukuba - 1.01.32 (600hp)
Facts!

Quote:
If you think chucking a near 1,800 KG 600 BHP GT-R around on track with all the driving aids OFF is easy or for ďold peopleĒ then youíre a bigger **** than youíve already made yourself look like.
27:40 to 33:50....

I'm sure You are a much better driver than that Tsuchiya bloke.

Quote:
Over and out.
Bye, Don't let the Forum door hit You on the a$$ on Your way out!
Old 13th October 2019, 03:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
*thread lock impending*

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Welsh weekend in November
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
R35 Section manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
This is true.
Here's some factory comparisons

Nismo R34 Z-tune @ Tsukuba - 1.01.15 (500hp)

R35 GT-R Nismo @ Tsukuba - 1.01.32 (600hp)

Which post were these figures found from?
I am amazed there is less than half a second in it?