GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Can you enjoy the GTR’s speed on our roads? (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/570713-can-you-enjoy-gtr-8217-s-speed-our-roads.html)

Luke 5th November 2019 10:46 PM

Can you enjoy the GTR’s speed on our roads?
 
Hello all. I’ve been on here for a while, reading posts. But recently signed up as I’m getting a GTR next year. So this is my first post ***x1f642;

I own an ‘18 370Z nismo currently, and that power, especially being RWD can feel quite a handful on the roads. I’m only ever a few seconds of open throttle away from license banning speeds. So my question is really, can you enjoy that insane speed on the roads? If so, when, or in what situation?

Skint 6th November 2019 06:38 AM

I can’t see there been many people posting to admit to speeding on a open forum.

adz87kc 6th November 2019 07:14 AM

No one does more than 70mph in a GTR on a public road.
It's just unethical...

Blobbish 6th November 2019 07:28 AM

I wouldnt recommend doing insane speeds on UK roads in any sports car, even a 370z. Too many pot holes, too much debris, too many drivers who you would have to look out for.

To really experience the speed, either book into a CAT DT course or go to the track, where the tarmac is smooth and drivers are more predictable. That way there is less chance on parking your car in someones front room.

I'll say this though. Coming from a S/C 370z the GTR will approach license banning speeds very quickly and with ease and unlike the 370, you dont get a real feel for the speed your doing.

Luke 6th November 2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skint (Post 5800025)
I can't see there been many people posting to admit to speeding on a open forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adz87kc (Post 5800031)
No one does more than 70mph in a GTR on a public road.
It's just unethical...

Oh I’m sure we all don’t speed.....ever. I’m not interested in what speed people get to, or them posting speed figures on here. I’m asking where, or in what situation do you find you can use the GTRs crazy acceleration to exactly the speed limit and then obviously stop.....

In my nismo I find a few seconds on the throttle and I’m at a junction, or a bend, or something and am having the anchor on. Surely people have heard people saying “that’s too fast to enjoy properly on the roads” I want to know where/ in what scenario people feel their GTR can stretch its legs a little bit? Eg I can’t see you being able to appreciate the car on a narrow tight twisty country road? Or am I completely wrong? Or is the GTRs performance only appreciated on slip roads and motorways?

Takamo 6th November 2019 07:36 AM

Gtr isn't for you if your worried about going quickly

davej51 6th November 2019 08:38 AM

you can enjoy the GTR on the open road but you just have to be sensible about it. however to really drive to its limits you need to go to a track

Trev 6th November 2019 09:05 AM

This thread is completely pointless.

It’s a bit like an old person saying “what’s the point of that car” at a super car owner.

You can use the GT-R as much as you use your 370Z, except you will be going a lot faster.

Luke 6th November 2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blobbish (Post 5800035)
I wouldnt recommend doing insane speeds on UK roads in any sports car, even a 370z. Too many pot holes, too much debris, too many drivers who you would have to look out for.

To really experience the speed, either book into a CAT DT course or go to the track, where the tarmac is smooth and drivers are more predictable. That way there is less chance on parking your car in someones front room.

I'll say this though. Coming from a S/C 370z the GTR will approach license banning speeds very quickly and with ease and unlike the 370, you dont get a real feel for the speed your doing.

Cheers blobbish. I’ll be giving both of those a go. Looking into CAT DT courses now. I imagine the 370z was insane s/c. I know what you mean, I think you’re a lot more conscious of your speed on a rwd car. Can get yourself in trouble (a ditch) very easily!

Luke 6th November 2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takamo (Post 5800043)
Gtr isn't for you if your worried about going quickly

I’m not worried about going fast. But thanks for your post. I am worried about theft though, so I may be be in contact with you if that’s ok?

Quote:

Originally Posted by davej51 (Post 5800051)
you can enjoy the GTR on the open road but you just have to be sensible about it. however to really drive to its limits you need to go to a track

Ye I’m hoping the handling will make it just as usable, if not more than the 370z.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev (Post 5800053)
This thread is completely pointless.

It's a bit like an old person saying “what's the point of that car” at a super car owner.

You can use the GT-R as much as you use your 370Z, except you will be going a lot faster.

Sorry if you find it pointless. I find some posts pointless, but I just click onto the next one in that case if I feel I can’t help.

Just spoke to a guy in a GTR at a petrol station. He’d had a 370 before it and said he found he could use the GTRs speed in more cases than his 370z with the 4wd and much better handling. Even in slower corners he could go into and out of quicker without as much drama. Made me really excited to be getting one.

Thanks to the guys who answered my question. Sorry to the guys who didn’t, I just thought this would be the perfect place to ask GTR owners their opinion on this.

shazada 6th November 2019 10:40 AM

My honest opinion would be a 370z can be enjoyed much more on 'lower' speed. What I mean by this is, the car is lighter and RWD so you can just take a corner slow and flip the gas a bit and the rear shifts out, which is fun :). Or let's say a roundabout and drift a little on it.

With the GTR, cause it's 4WD and heavier you'll need much higher speed to achieve the same level of fun.
So on public roads I find the the GTR fun on stoplight races, or just when your going on or off the highway road.

Simonh 6th November 2019 10:41 AM

you can enjoy the power, you can't really enjoy the speed.

Luke 6th November 2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazada (Post 5800063)
My honest opinion would be a 370z can be enjoyed much more on 'lower' speed. What I mean by this is, the car is lighter and RWD so you can just take a corner slow and flip the gas a bit and the rear shifts out, which is fun <img src="https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" class="inlineimg" />. Or let's say a roundabout and drift a little on it.

With the GTR, cause it's 4WD and heavier you'll need much higher speed to achieve the same level of fun.
So on public roads I find the the GTR fun on stoplight races, or just when your going on or off the highway road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonh (Post 5800065)
you can enjoy the power, you can't really enjoy the speed.

Ye I completely get what you both mean. I’ve got in my head I will have a GTR for a while and go back to this kind of car. It’s very rewarding to drive and I like that you have to be neat when driving fast. It’s very mechanical feeling and I like the manual box. Feels like a drivers car.

I’m thinking the insane speed of a GTR will possibly be a novelty and once used to it I may prefer how the 370 nismo drives. But after seeing how much people love their GTRs on here, I may be kidding myself and will probably never be able to own anything else after it! Ha.

snuffy 6th November 2019 12:13 PM

Over the last almost 30 years I've been stopped by Mr Plod and accused of speeding 4 times. Only one of those times was that actually true.

tonigmr2 6th November 2019 12:40 PM

You'll enjoy the point and squirt of the GTR, but yes you do have to have a conversation with yourself sometimes as it is so effortless you have to remind yourself to be sensible. :)

Track days though, think about doing those. I didn't really enjoy having an R35 until I went on one of our runway days. Launches were just sooooo much fun!

Luke 6th November 2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonigmr2 (Post 5800081)
You'll enjoy the point and squirt of the GTR, but yes you do have to have a conversation with yourself sometimes as it is so effortless you have to remind yourself to be sensible. <img src="https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" class="inlineimg" />

Track days though, think about doing those. I didn't really enjoy having an R35 until I went on one of our runway days. Launches were just sooooo much fun!

I think I’ll be getting on some forum track days when they come up. Sounds like it’ll be great for the car and to get to know some members.

Takamo 6th November 2019 01:04 PM

No problem your welcome anytime

SKNAM 6th November 2019 01:41 PM

Had mine almost a year now and still getting used to it. I find its a bit like Jekyll and Hyde - around town or stop/start traffic it can feel a bit wasted with all that power and sometimes when maneuvering at slow speeds it can feel a bit clunky/cumbersome but once on decent road it comes "alive" and all those phrases like "point and squirt", "seemingly endless power" become true.

First few months I had mine (Winter and on Cup 2's mind) I wondered a bit about what all the fuss was about re. "cornering on rails" as it sometimes moved about a bit more when turning from junctions than I was expecting, but in reality the car is so planted and dialled-in that you can make progress swiftly and safely. It takes roundabouts so well without any drama.

And yes, they gather speed extremely quickly and smoothly so you can enjoy it but its the road conditions that dictate how much fun you can have, not the car.

bobbie 6th November 2019 01:42 PM

I'm always 1st away from the traffic lights.

Bobby

Luke 6th November 2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKNAM (Post 5800093)
Had mine almost a year now and still getting used to it. I find its a bit like Jekyll and Hyde - around town or stop/start traffic it can feel a bit wasted with all that power and sometimes when maneuvering at slow speeds it can feel a bit clunky/cumbersome but once on decent road it comes "alive" and all those phrases like "point and squirt", "seemingly endless power" become true.

First few months I had mine (Winter and on Cup 2's mind) I wondered a bit about what all the fuss was about re. "cornering on rails" as it sometimes moved about a bit more when turning from junctions than I was expecting, but in reality the car is so planted and dialled-in that you can make progress swiftly and safely. It takes roundabouts so well without any drama.

And yes, they gather speed extremely quickly and smoothly so you can enjoy it but its the road conditions that dictate how much fun you can have, not the car.

Love this. I like that it sounds like you understand the car more and more and get better in it. One of my biggest worries was that it was too “easy” to drive. Too many high end German cars are like this now.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.