Advice for a newbie - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SKNAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
gmtln is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Advice for a newbie

Hi, my name's Matt, and I am new, not only to GTRs but Jap performance cars for that matter.

I've always had German diesels, but am now in the position to purchase my dream car, the GTR!

Going to view one this weekend and wanted some advice, and have some questions I hope some of you may be able to help with

I had a read of the couple of other threads of new owners looking for advice, and I duly had a look at Litchfield's buying guide.
My main concern is having to change the brakes straight after buying the car as I know this can run up to £3k.

First off, the car is a 2014 plate with about 26k miles.
It was last serviced by Nissan in July, so ideally I wouldn't want to change anything until the next service.

The trader mentioned that a G3 service was carried out.
I had a look on Litchfield's, and it should of been a 60 month service with the brake lines done.
The trader doesn't have the invoices so cannot confirm what was carried out exactly.

1. Can anyone clarify what is done during a G3 service? and is this the equivalent to the 60 month service from Litchfield?

2. Regarding the brakes, I understand that the discs are going to lip with wear, but how much is acceptable? same goes with any cracks ?

3. What is the best way of finding out how much pad is left?

Finally, I typed in the reg on the MOT checker, and had a look at its MOT history. All seems well, but I noticed that from June 2018 to Feb 2019 it literally only did 400miles.
Is this anything to be concerned about ?

Last edited by gmtln; Yesterday at 12:18 AM..
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
SKNAM is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Hi gmtin, welcome to the forum.

If the car is running standard Brembo brake discs then at that age and mileage they will probably be the originals. A lot of owners change for aftermarket brake discs/pads but if you stick with the originals then you can get original Brembo discs from, for example, Autodoc for about £750/800 for all 4 (depends on the daily discounts they offer - use the App for extra discount). Nissan will charge about the same for 2 discs. It's the same product - Nissan repackage in their own box. Lots of pad choices but probably about £500/600 from Nissan for front/rear Brembo pads and you can pay at lot less (or more) depending on other brands. Eurocarparts sell the Brembo pads in the "Performance Section) and price was usually around £350-450 for front and rear pads last time I looked. Probably 4 hours labour I guess to fit pads/discs all round. So you might find that you can half the oft quoted £3k estimate - though note some garages may not want to fit parts you've bought elsewhere - they have to make money too!

The flexible brake lines (hoses) are usually checked and recommended to replace every 5 years if I recall right. Round about £400 fitted so if it has had that then you won't need to worry about adding to the "brake" cost.

G3 services vary by what needs doing. Mines a CBA and I do 6 monthly servicing but a 2014 will be on yearly - or mileage etc - servicing. So, can't say for sure what it had done, but if its diff and gearbox oil it will be one of the 'major' services and Nissan servicing ain't cheap....

I'm no mechanic so can only go by what I've been told, and that's that the discs can lip more on the inside (rears anyway) and I believe you can only lose about 2-3mm thickness in the discs before they need replacing. If you change the discs you'll need to put new pads on - that's what I've been told, though others with more experience/knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Likewise, I've read (and been told) that you can have tiny cracks around the drilled holes but anything more than a few millimetres, or that significantly weakens the strength of the disc, is an MOT fail. Was anything picked up on the last MOT?

Re. low mileage - I wouldn't be worried about low mileage, so long as its been serviced/looked after. Might have been a 2nd or 3rd car for the previous owner to choose from?

Hope this makes sense and helps, and good luck finding the right GT-R for you
Takamo likes this.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
adz87kc is living the dream
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Discs:

Front thickness 32.6mm

Min thickness 30.6mm

Rear thickness 30mm

Min thickness 28mm

Measure them with a caliper.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member

Hi buddy and welcome. The GT-R is a great car and I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun and the change across will be worthwhile.

You're correct to be vigilent when making a purchase. As you said, wheels and tyres are generally pretty high wear items and can cost thousands to replace turning an apparent bargain purchase into something that cost the same as a top money car.

Disk lipping isn't really a problem on these cars, they tend to go to minimum thickness or more likely in the case of oem disks, they crack from the drilled holes. Just watch out for that, if you do find yourself having to replace disks / pads, then be sure to look at the aftermarket items as not only are they better, they tend to be a fair amount cheaper.

Good luck!

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Items for sale:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gtr mart is offline   Reply With Quote