GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum - View Single Post - GTR relay theft testing - the results are not good.
View Single Post
Old 27th February 2019, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
goodatcrashing
goodatcrashing is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

GTR relay theft testing - the results are not good.

Working in the automotive industry, I frequently talk to our security experts who have equipment, often very rudimentary from eBay, used to test our vehicles against theft. The Thatcham security pass criteria is >2 minutes against entry.

The Relay theft technique commonly used by thieves takes seconds and I was curious if it worked on a DBA GTR and test some of the forum myths. We took a readily available kit and tested my DBA GTR with a stock security system.

I stood 30 metres away from the car with keys in my pocket. My assistant tried unlocking the car from the door unlock button and predictably the door would not unlock. Stood in the same position still with keys in pocket, the receiver side of the relay device was placed 2 metres away from me and the transmitter next to the door. This time, the doors unlocked on the first attempt. Then the transmitter was placed on the passenger seat and the engine fired up on first attempt. My assistant managed to drive around the car park even when out of range from the receiver, with a few annoying warning bongs about the key not being present, but did not shut down the engine. This happened in the space of 30 seconds.

This worked on almost all the key-less entry cars we tested in the car park, so is not isolated to GTR's. We repeated the test with my keys placed in a signal defender pouch and failed to unlock the doors despite trying several different techniques.

My advice is to be aware of these techniques and not to rely solely on the OEM security.

Chronos started a thread about relay theft here which started my curiosity:
https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/541201-b...eek-video.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (189.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (165.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (162.5 KB, 16 views)