What Brake Systems do you use?? - Page 11 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Brakes, Wheels, Tyres and Suspension (Skyline)
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: What Brake Systems do you use??
AP Racing 90 14.24%
Alcon 41 6.49%
Brembo Racing Upgrade 48 7.59%
R33/34 Brembo upgrade 103 16.30%
Project Mu 14 2.22%
Stoptech 37 5.85%
Tarox 4 0.63%
Standard Brakes (eek!!!) 187 29.59%
Custom Brake Upgrade 23 3.64%
Other (Please Specify) 85 13.45%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th April 2011, 02:55 PM   #201 (permalink)
h8skyliner33GTR is 1998 Unisia Jecs r33 widebody in progress
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Vspec R33 and JGTC r33
aki, yeah you can get the 360 calipers from a kit from other vehicle normally BMW or direct from a ferrari 360 in the US but then still need the rotors and caliper mount for the nissans. I havent looked at Biot for a while, been looking at RDD, but im sure biot is the same pricing wise. I'll just wait it out while im in Korea and hopefully get lucky.

Speaking of ducted cooling for brembos, I wonder if those carbon caliper duct housings from Nascar would be able to fit with trimming onto the 33s. There a bunch on ebay for less than 100dollars with 3x 3" duct inlets for cooling. Should definitly be able to keep them cool on fuji but then you'd have 6 hoses running around and through your bumper
Old 21st April 2011, 02:01 AM   #202 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R33 GT-R
Yeah... don't think so. (I just took a look too on Ebay). Have you seen how much space (almost none) there is to have hosing in there? The Max I can fit is 50mm width - but I hook this up directly to the air cooling ducts connected to the front splitter. I know Midori used to sell custom made scoops for this, but the price was $$$$.

I suppose the NASCAR ones might work if they were small enough...

did not know that the 360 calipers came on BMWs... interesting...and yeah Biot and RDD are pricewise similar.

Again I'm really surprised someone here hasn't come up with a source of custom brackets - in which case it would be easier to source the calipers and rotors, huh.

R33 GT-R Photos/Videos on Facebook (people send me your photos!) at facebook.com/BCNR33 - or click

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
akasakaR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 02:19 AM   #203 (permalink)

ohayo. hmm good point on the space. I think the nascar ones would be about 3x 70mm ones. Would have to chop up the frame and make like a tubular forward frame for space. Oh no, i meant that lots of BMW guys use the 360 and lotus calipers in the US on fronts or rears depending on kits. Yeah i wish there was a company that only made brake brakets for reasonable prices so you could make your own kits. oh well.

Old 21st April 2011, 01:35 PM   #204 (permalink)
GlennK is unaware they can edit their status

K-Sport 8 pot fronts and 6 pot rears...
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:54 AM   #205 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted

ok, so here is my latest question - why has no one come up with a kit so that you can use your front 4 pot Brembos on the rear? There are kits that allow up to 355mm rotors to be used with the standard front Brembos, so if they could be used on the back, could run between 324-355mm rotors in the rear.

Anyone?

R33 GT-R Photos/Videos on Facebook (people send me your photos!) at facebook.com/BCNR33 - or click

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:46 AM   #206 (permalink)
Chris Wilson is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
The piston diameter is too big, it would be very hard to create the correct brake bias, far too much effort would go to the rear brakes, making them lock up well before the fronts. Without a bias pedal box arrangement and dual master cylinders the only option to try and create the right bias would be front calipers with massive piston areas, which firstly don't exist, and secondly would give huge pedal travel. So, basically you need to match the required brake effort at each end of the car through correct piston area at each end, and correct master cylinder(s) piston area. There are formulae to do this, but they require input of information you are unlikely to be able to get, and even then, in the real world, on track experimentation is often needed to finalize piston sizing. Although costly a mainstream manufacturer developed complete kit for a given car is usually far cheaper than messing about with loads of bits. I "mess about" with bits because they are usually to hand and experience has taught me pretty much ballpark sizings, and I have a machine shop, but paying someone else to make a bespoke set up will be dearer than an off the shelf commercial set up, IMHO.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:35 AM   #207 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted

Interesting, and makes sense. I always thought it was because no one made a rotor that was thick enough (ie 30mm) for the rears (which worked with the parking brake). Therefore no incentive to make a bracket.

For the sake of argument - what if at the same time you used the standard front calipers on the rear, that you replaced the fronts with monster 8 piston calipers and 400mm rotors? I would assume that more pistons = greater surface area. And increase of rotor size to make up for rear rotor size increase. Would that not "set" the brake bias back to how it was before?

ie
Std - 4 pot, 324 and 2 pot, 300
Mod - 8 pot, 400 and 4 pot, 355

I'm probably oversimplifying everything, but just curious. Thanks.

Old 22nd April 2011, 10:52 AM   #208 (permalink)

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
The fact it has 8 pistons doesn't mean the piston area is any, or much greater than a single pot sliding caliper. The eight pistons will be tiny. You are going to struggle with front calipers on the rear. If you want or need 4 pots on the rear you need to source some with small pistons, which will off the rear of something else. Here's the rear set up I did for my GTS-t using Aston Martin rear calipers on an AP disc and alloy bell / handbrake drum.

Old 25th April 2011, 03:45 PM   #209 (permalink)

exactly what i was thinking aki. Since the fronts are 40 and 38mm i think and the rear caliper is 40mm. The brembo F50 kit uses 44 and 40mm pistons. You would think the front std caliper would be able to be used on the rear now that they have the 350mmx30mm rear rotors from nissan 370z sports and just need a bracket.

Chris, do you think it would be possible to use with just one of those Tilton or AP brake proportioning valves mounted in the car?
Old 25th April 2011, 04:15 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8skyliner33GTR View Post
exactly what i was thinking aki. Since the fronts are 40 and 38mm i think and the rear caliper is 40mm. The brembo F50 kit uses 44 and 40mm pistons. You would think the front std caliper would be able to be used on the rear now that they have the 350mmx30mm rear rotors from nissan 370z sports and just need a bracket.

Chris, do you think it would be possible to use with just one of those Tilton or AP brake proportioning valves mounted in the car?
No, too much piston area. Buy a proper kit.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:01 AM   #211 (permalink)
.::TopSky::. is a Nissan freak.

Cars owned: Skyline R33 GTR (Sparkling Silver) Impreza STi Type RA Vr.5 Supra MKIV Volvo 850R Laser blue
I`ve upgraded all my four brakes and it was verry expensive (asked a friend and he said upgrade all four) , but I see most of you guys only upgrade front does it mean that it isnt necessary to upgrade rear? even if the the car is going to be on track alot?

What do you think of this setup NISMO High-Performance Brake Kit (front) and stock R34 GTR rear?

Thank you.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:14 PM   #212 (permalink)

Cars owned: Skyline R33 GTR (Sparkling Silver) Impreza STi Type RA Vr.5 Supra MKIV Volvo 850R Laser blue
*bump*
Old 16th June 2011, 11:24 PM   #213 (permalink)
GTR Cook is loving Stoptech's
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34 GTR and Clio track car.
I had upgraded fronts and they lasted very well on road and track.

Now have Stoptech's front and rear, 355mm all round with four pots front and rear and DS3000 pads- absolutely awesome.......

Last edited by GTR Cook; 16th June 2011 at 11:29 PM..
GTR Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 01:12 AM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Cook View Post
I had upgraded fronts and they lasted very well on road and track.

Now have Stoptech's front and rear, 355mm all round with four pots front and rear and DS3000 pads- absolutely awesome.......
Nice, where did you buy them and how much did you pay for all four?
Old 17th June 2011, 02:36 AM   #215 (permalink)
GTROC Member

I got mine 2nd hand after they had been completely refreshed.

They are normally about 4k brand new for both front and rears, i paid just over 2k for them.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:35 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:
I got mine 2nd hand after they had been completely refreshed.

They are normally about 4k brand new for both front and rears, i paid just over 2k for them.
Thats a good price, found 6 pots front and 4 pot rear for 5000 USD wich is also a good price.
Old 17th June 2011, 01:29 PM   #217 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::TopSky::. View Post
Thats a good price, found 6 pots front and 4 pot rear for 5000 USD wich is also a good price.
Thats not bad at all, i absolutely love the stopping power they provide and definately worth the money.
Old 17th June 2011, 04:21 PM   #218 (permalink)
trevbwhite is enjoying his T04Z
Registered

Cars owned: gts-t 33/ r32 GT-R
Quote:
Thats not bad at all, i absolutely love the stopping power they provide and definately worth the money.
enjoying the new brakes then lee!

trevbwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 05:58 PM   #219 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevbwhite View Post
enjoying the new brakes then lee!
Hi Trev,

Might be How are the AP's?
Old 17th June 2011, 06:33 PM   #220 (permalink)
trevbwhite is enjoying his T04Z
Registered

Cars owned: gts-t 33/ r32 GT-R
i thought u would be!
yea man the ap's are sweet! worth every penny!

trevbwhite is offline   Reply With Quote