So what will we call it??? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2006, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
6speed is out somewhere doing something.
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Nissan Fairlady Z Z32
So what will we call it???

Sure, no Skyline abreviations here... but I got to ask the bone bearing question... when it finally comes to shortening up the name, will it still use the R nameplate? Such as R35? Or do you think it might change to VQ35...?

The car itself however, will it just be Nissan GTR? If so... does it bother you to know they've hurt a nameplate that hampers back to 1963? That they've shoved it off the table...?

And with the intro of the new GTR, will the current Skyline (USDM "G35") still be called that? Or could the rubbery name G35 reach all the other countries too?

And will there ever be a four door GT-R again??

I just wanted your opinions on this...
Old 3rd November 2006, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
andreasgtr is GTR R33 Vspec KN6
GTROC Member

The official name is Nissan GT-R

no Skyline no R somewhat, no VQ, just GT-R
Old 3rd November 2006, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
6speed is out somewhere doing something.
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Nissan Fairlady Z Z32
I understand that quite clearly. I'm saying however, will we refer to it as just GTR after a second generation apppears? Do you see now?

Also, will the Skyline name in Japan for the Saloon change?

Old 3rd November 2006, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
gtrlux is in red Skyline mode

Cars owned: Top Secret R32 / R34 sedan / V37 Skyline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
I understand that quite clearly. I'm saying however, will we refer to it as just GTR after a second generation apppears? Do you see now?

The Skyline will go one as before, there was no GTR in the 80. until 89., as there is no GTR since 2001 until now!
The GT350 in Japan is the Skyline, wich came after the R34, it says clearly Skyline on the back of the car . . . the infiniti G35 is the Skyline GT350.

So whatever the new GTR will be called, the Skyline range goes on as before, first start is about now or spring in Japan with the brand new 4 door Skyline 2007, followed by the coupe and then sold as Infiniti G in the US.
The GTR looks similar to the 2007 coupe Skyline, but will share much less body then the R34 shared with the ECR34 . . . .is what I think.

So Skylines were, are and will be availble as before in Japan since the 60ties . . . the new GTR might be sold as a brand own GTR badge, but I doupt that this will work in the sales in Japan, I think it will be called Skyline GTR as before.
Old 3rd November 2006, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scott is GTROC #005
GTROC Co-Founder.

Cars owned: BNR32.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Sure, no Skyline abreviations here... but I got to ask the bone bearing question... when it finally comes to shortening up the name, will it still use the R nameplate? Such as R35? Or do you think it might change to VQ35...?
R35 will have nothing to do with it? When I have mentioned R35 to Nissan's chief project planner he just replies, what is an R35?????

Quote:
The car itself however, will it just be Nissan GTR? If so... does it bother you to know they've hurt a nameplate that hampers back to 1963? That they've shoved it off the table...?
Most of the Nissan people I have talked to only call the 'current' GT-R a GT-R, and I have actually been told off for referring to a GT-R as a Skyline.

Quote:
And will there ever be a four door GT-R again??
No, how can it? It is a 2 door chassis.

Quote:
Why would it, its a Skyline, what else would it be called?

O O SKYLINE O O

My R32's full restoration:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Air Filters:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote