My R32 GTR pics - Page 10 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th September 2011, 07:35 PM   #181 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Been busy lately trying to get these back brakes progressed...
The brackets which I had made up previously turned out not to be suitable due to a problem I hadn't forseen. The distance between the rear caliper mounting lugs on the hub is 4.5" and the distance between centres for the radially mounted caliper pins is 4.75". Given that the brackets only need to be very shallow (around 25mm ish) it means that the bracket-hub bolts would impinge on the caliper-bracket bolts.....bugger...
So, decided to go back to basics and do some proof-of-concept initial studies to see what needs to be done.

Early attempt with machined steel bracket offered up....

However, undeterred I decided to make up a bell to mount the disc so I could find what the caliper fore-aft spacing needed to be roughly..

OK, its not glam but happy with the results. It was at this point that I realised the caliper doesnt need to be as far out radially as I had initially thought. It was here I had the lightbulb moment that my initial plan was somewhat flawed

Here it is mocked-up with caliper....

Have decided that I will need to mount the caliper slightly lower than where the std mounting holes are on the hub. I shall utilise a bit of 20mm sqaure bar I have lying around and get some more precise measurements of where the caliper needs to be.
Next step will be to get caliper mounting sorted and then measure my bell requirements and have them made up. Hopefully that will be the rear 2-piece disc conversion sorted....

TT
FRRACER likes this.
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 09:59 PM   #182 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Crikey Scotty I do love your inventive attitude buddy!
Hats off to you mate, great to see someone who always trys something new and innovative!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook ZEALOU5 turning cars into heroes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZEALOU5

Please Whatsapp me on 07970699470.
(^^^best way to get in touch tbh^^^).
Mobile: 07970699470

Email:
fourtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 12:10 AM   #183 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Cheers Bob, obviously these bells are just for mock-up purposes only .

Got to thinking that, when this brake malarkey is eventually finished, might be worth offering a read-to-buy kit for folks wanting to do the same. God knows there's not much in the way of ready to go kits on the market other than D2/Ksport...

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)

Old 23rd November 2011, 12:57 PM   #184 (permalink)
New Users

Just a quick update..
Not too much been going on recently. Had to divert some of my car fund cash to finishing my sooper-dooper PC rather sharpish after my normal one decided to fry itself...

Having said that, I have finally manged to collect the GT4094 turbo I purchased from Listerofsmeg what seems like AGES ago! Many thanks for the patience Neil ..

Its a big beast. Will be looking to source a decent manifold, wastegate(s) and a BOV in the new year. Going to have an attempt at fabricating my own stainless downpipe as well so we shall see how that turns out.

Hopefully managed to secure both front and rear 4.4 GTS-4 diffs from separate sources. More on that in due course but I'd like to thank both parties for their help and patience in sorting this out for me Might have to move a rear 2-way LSD up the priority list as I dont see any point in installing them using the std slipper only to rebuild it later on. VERY interested to see how much of a difference the shorther ratio's have on the car.
Anyway, thats it for now. Just away to the garage to do a bit more composite stuff.....

TT
Old 25th November 2011, 11:42 PM   #185 (permalink)
Madaxgt is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Getting there on the brakes then! If you know all the dimensions of all your bits, would be really easy to mock it all up in CAD. Thats what i had to do in all my cars otherwise takes ages!

So jealous of the high ratio diffs will have to look into sourcing some one day. Are they only on gts4's? Rare beasts i expect. As with my 18's and the 32 gearing its way too long for uk use.
Old 26th January 2012, 06:57 PM   #186 (permalink)
New Users

OK, so new year update.... Been going to town on watercooling the PC lately so funds have been going to this rather than the car. Yes, I know its heresy but.........

I'm now in posession of a rear GTS-4 CWP assembly and a GTR sump with GTS-4 CWP fitted. Must say a big thank you to MIKEGTR for his patience regarding the front sump/diff and to Sub Boy who went out of his way to source and ship me the rear CWP from his neck of the woods...what a community we have here........ Will find myself an aftermarket rear LSD to bolt the CWP to and swap out the front sump in due course.

Going to book the car into Abbey very soon to have the geometry and cornerweights done and to give it a spin up on the rollers. After that i'll be booking my first trackday

Next big things are finishing the rear brakes and getting some form of cage fitted. I had intended to get a multipoint super-dooper cage fitted at Xsport but the more I think about it I may well start off with a basic 6point in chrome-moly which should be a good bit lighter, but more expensive. I can add more bars/bracing at a later date.....

Its taken about 4 years to get to where we are now but I do think 2012 will be the year it all happens..

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 26th January 2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 26th January 2012, 07:19 PM   #187 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor

Nice on Scott! Can't wait to hear how it goes after all your hard work buddy!

Bob

ZEALOU5

Email:
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:54 PM   #188 (permalink)
New Users

Been getting the "garage buzz" again since its been a bit warmer of late....Nothing startling but a couple of things that were annoying me

Firstly, removed the reservoir bottles from the master cylinders and mounted them remotely.

Despite having the same 7/16" threads I was never really convinced by the integrity of the joint. The bottles always felt as if they were staying on by magic!! Now I feel much happier with the way they are mounted. Made up a small L-shaped bracket for them to sit on and made a couple of drop lines from std 3/16" copper pipe. I HAD toyed with getting the local Pirtek chap to make some braided ones with banjo's but decided it was an unnecessary expense. The copper does the job just as well.

Also fitted the passenger footrest I bought at Autosport. Had to 'process' it a little due to the GTR's completely unflat floor!!!

Turned out pretty well I reckon.... At least it will give any passengers somewhere to put their feet!

This years new-years resolution is to stop faffing about and just DO something. To that end I'm going to get the prototype fibreglas rear bumper finished and finish the measurements for the rear bells.
Well, thats the plan anyway! Trying to secure a Nismo LSD so I can get the 4.3 CWP's fitted

TT
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:10 PM   #189 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor

Bloody hell Scott who rattled you cage????
Nice update mate, keep that momentum going and get her out on the track matey!!!

bob

ZEALOU5

Email:
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:11 PM   #190 (permalink)
New Users

LOL, thanks Bob. I see your off to Japfest...i may be going myself so might bump into you

TT
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:14 PM   #191 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor

Make sure you do buddy, be good to catch up! Pop round the unit too if you fancy?

bob

ZEALOU5

Email:
Old 26th February 2012, 07:55 PM   #192 (permalink)
New Users

Well, just a small update but one I'm very happy about!!
Managed to finally negotiate a deal for a Nismo 2-way GT diff. After a bit of haggling and chin scratching I am finally convinced that I have purchased what I think I have purchased. All is good!!.....Just need to get the thing delivered and have the GTS-4 bits and pieces swapped over and the whole lot fitted!

On another subject I have managed to pick up a pair of Wilwood P6R Prolite front calipers for a touch over £500!! in fantastic condition with mounts and new pads...

Thats over £3400 worth of kit for 15% of the new price... My new ALL time bargain!!! Wilwoods second top-of-the-range caliper and will take a max rotor size of 330x35 so I'm happy with that. More than enough thermal mass there to do the job admirably I reckon....Should also be able to utilise off the shelf front bells and hopefully adapt the mounting easily to suit.

Well chuffed with both purchases.....

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 26th February 2012 at 07:59 PM..
Old 6th March 2012, 06:16 PM   #193 (permalink)
New Users

Got around to stripping the diff unit I bought...removed the LSD from the casing along with the std ratio pinion. Took the LSD to bits and found that it IS indeed a Nismo 1.5/2 way GT LSD. Not the pro version but then again it was never advertised as such...very pleased nonetheless. Removed the std CW and fitted the 4.3 item. Bearings are in good order so a new set of side and pinion seals are being sorted courtesy of RBM.
Decided to rebuild the diff myself...having all the tools AND the workshop manual, I really dont have an excuse not to TBH.
The front 4.3 CWP I bought came already fitted to a GTR sump so all good there. There is a 2" crack at the front that I will get repaired but other than that it will just need fresh oil and flung on Not in any great hurry to get the new ratios on, besides one of the rear seals will take about 3 weeks to arrive anyway!

Hoping to get the suspension geometry done early April along with the map check so all being good, I should be looking at trackdays shortly afterwards

TT
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:07 PM   #194 (permalink)
New Users

So, finally got off my arse and made some more progress on rear caliper mounts. Glad to say the near side mount is complete and looking pretty decent...

Its mild steel and is tapped to take a mounting bolt as per the std setup. The original bolts are M10x1.25 but as I only have an M10x1.5 set of taps I though 'bugger it' and got on with the task in hand.
I had also toyed with the idea of moving over to alloy mounts when I had the dimensions for the brackets finalised. To be honest, theres not a lot of weight in the mounting anyway and I kind of like the security in knowing its a steel bracket for something so critical. I've never really been a fan of alloy brake mountings anyway..
With all clearances measured and pads where they should be in relation to the radius of the disc (of which there is VERY little tolerance TBH) it now all looks like this...

Now that I have the NS mount done it'll be a piece of cake to get the OS one done. Obviously I will tidy the mount up and have it looking decent.
Biggest headache will be the bells. Due to the width of the rear discs (32mm) theres not really a lot of scope for moving it further inboard than the photos show. I can see the bell being very similar to what I have mocked up but with a section to cover the handbrake drums....Like a top-hat shape if you will.

Very pleased with myself today! A bit of progress.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 24th March 2012 at 12:50 PM..
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:29 PM   #195 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor

V Nice Scott!

Bob

ZEALOU5

Email:
Old 24th March 2012, 07:18 AM   #196 (permalink)
New Users

LOL....cheers Bob

There are a few extra things in the pipeline such as fitting the 4.3 F/R CWP along with the rear Nismo LSD. Sounds dead easy but theres a lot involved in changing the front sump unfortunately. Also just got myself a set of RB25 cam covers which will be getting refurbed and fitted also.

TT
Old 24th March 2012, 08:11 AM   #197 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor

What's the ETA for getting it on the track Scott?

Bob

ZEALOU5

Email:
Old 24th March 2012, 12:48 PM   #198 (permalink)
New Users

Well, looking to book it into Abbey to get the geometry sorted and map checked. All being well first trackday could be as soon as early May!!

TT
Old 31st March 2012, 01:15 PM   #199 (permalink)
New Users

Few things been happening lately..
Firstly, finally got around to booking car into Abbey for geometry sorting and map checking. Getting done tail end of April so all good there..

Managed to get both rear caliper brackets finished, sprayed (black) and lacquered. Look pretty good if I may say so myself!! Pics of these to come but essentially same as..

X2 with a bit of paint

Having toyed with the idea of a pit-car comms system for some time (mostly for use when the missus is driving!!) I have managed to spec a system for minimal cash which will utilise the comms system in my open face helmet...
Picked up 2 Motorola GP340's (UHF)...

One will be in the car attached to a Peltor FMT120 intercom with PTT and a UHF roof aerial..

Pit person will have the other and a headset....

(a tenner BTW!!)

Unfortunately the Motorolas need a licence. I have checked all this and I will only need the basic one at £75 for 5yrs which isnt too bad! Had looked at some 'proper' pit-car systems from folks like Autotel etc but the prices are just insane, even for a basic system. The 2 Motorolas cost me £80(pair), £10 for the aerial, £10 for the pit headset. The FMT 120 intercom unit will be £180 new but some used ones can be had for around £120-150. So, all-in I should be seeing change from £250 which isnt too bad.

Been gathering material to make the rear bells. I have decided to have a stab at fabricating these myself rather than farm them out to someone else. I reckon it should be very easy as long as my measuring is precise

I'll keep you posted

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 31st March 2012 at 01:21 PM..
Old 31st March 2012, 08:57 PM   #200 (permalink)
Adam Kindness is phu phu phu
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

interesting stuff with the pit radio system.... I've always wanted it, but always scoffed at the made for purpose 'kit.

Any links where you got all the parts, and more importantly the licencing requirements?

Radio range - uhf, prob about 7km?

-
- Sponsored by Ultralite &

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Adam Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote