GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#331 · (Edited)
Been busy getting on with the laminating of the mould this week and finally released it this evening...

Turned out exceptionally well IMHO...just needs to be tidied, sanded down and painted. I briefly offered it up to the cooler and it fits like a glove...just a little modification to allow it to bolt to the cooler frame and it'll be ready to go. WELL pleased...Just a shame I had to destroy the mould during the extraction though...
Used 3 plies of tissue CSM initially to get the contours right then added a layer of 3mm Coremat followed by another 3 layers of CSM (in different sessions!). Also used a bit of aluminium pipe as a former for the inlet. I MAY keep it in to add a bit of strength but TBH, its a pretty robust moulding and I reckon I can get away without it. I will be using some adhesive lined heat shrink to join duct and hose together so dont need massive strength in the inlet.

TT

#333 ·
Had been looking at taking a feed from under the car but am looking into better options...

TT

#334 ·
Fantastic build thread, well done! I'm not sure what impresses me more, your fab skills or your ability to sniff out a fantastic bargain!

out of curiosity what did you do with your RB26 cam covers? I'm looking for some for my RB25 (I know the 25 ones are "better" especially for track work, but my cars a daily drive and running stock power so I shouldn't have an issue :) I just prefer the look!)

#335 ·
Thanks for your kind words...:thumbsup:
Unfortunately the 26 covers were sold ages ago.

TT

#336 ·
So, ploughing on..
Seeing as I'd taken the easy route and moulded the opening for where the cooler would sit as a rectangle I was faced with the fact that there would be 2 large gaps at each end. Solved this with a couple of small aluminium seals....(the 2 redish bits on either side of the matrix..can you guess where I cut them from :chuckle:)

When installed they look like this...
Front

Rear

when installed properly, I will use a bit of sealant around the edges so they are 100% airtight. This ensures that ALL the collected air will pass through the cooler and not around it:thumbsup:

Did a little bit of cutting on one side to allow the cooler to sit a tad lower in the duct..

Just needs painted and a small bit of sanding down of the round inlet as I seem to have gone a bit thicker than I would have liked....My 76mm hose no longer fits over the inlet so a bit of thinning out is needed.

Nearly there though.....

TT

#339 ·
Not any more :D

I had read some posts made by folks running 2x044's who mentioned fuel temp issues. As I was replumbing the entire fuel feed-return system anyway I thought it was a good time to install one. Would rather have one IN and doing nothing than not have one, and then find out I NEED it!.
Have added a fuel temp sensor imediately post-rail so will see how the numbers stack up. For completeness, I suppose it would have been prudent to add another fuel temp sensor post-cooler to see the delta but, hey, thats life!!

TT

#341 ·
Not much been going on, what with festive period and travel with work.....
Attended Autosport last weekend and was a bit disappointed at the lack of purchasing opportunities. I DID however, pick up a brake proportioning valve...

Also, (and with BIG thanks again to Al, Bob and Jack) picked up an as-new roll cage by 'Caged' in Frome. An amazing bit of kit and VERY substantial it has to be said!!

Also removed the original mountings that came with it....along with a good portion of the car :chuckle::chuckle:

Once I have cleaned up the mounting turrets I will weld them into place. Removing them from the original shell was a bit of a nightmare TBH but we got there in the end!!

TT

#342 ·
Was great to see you again Scott, just wish I could have hung around longer!
Can't wait to see the cage fitted!
;)
Bob

#344 ·
The answer's in the previous post!!! 'Caged' in Frome 01373 452866

TT

#349 ·
Depending on what I'm using to make the mould from i.e. its porosity, I generally use both PVA and wax. PVA first as a sealant and then a few separate coats of wax as a release. Never had any bother with extraction using that method..

I have the whole Haynes series, thoroughly recommended.

TT

#352 ·
I intend to start making a mould of the GTR N/S headlight very soon. I have a million and one other things to do but it IS on my list. Have bought some carbon twill to make a holder for my Dash 2 and more CSM so I'l likely just do them all at once!!

TT

#353 ·
Been busy...Have prepared the body boxes for the cage and have them tacked in place. Also managed to trial fit the cage and cut the dash. Unfortunately I ran out of welding gas earlier so it'll be a trip to Machinemart tomorrow for another bottle. Should get the boxes finished, cleaned up and primered.
Here's how its coming along....

The car has been screaming out for a cage and seeing it all in, albeit a dummy fit, it just looked 'right'. Over the moon with it!!

Also managed to sell my Sard 700cc injectors today which I plan to replace with ID1000's. Get paid in a couple of days so will order them then :).

Oh, almost forgot....got to work with the clear silicone sealant and put a generous bead around the rear polycarb screen. Despite installing it with a thick foam seal, it leaked a bit the last time it was out in the rain (trip up to Abbey). Hopefully this will solve the problem. Minor, but niggly :chuckle:

TT

#354 ·
So, seeing as its just after payday I have been buying some stuff....

• A Peltor FMT-120 intercom unit...

Just need the lead from intercom to Motorola radio and the system is all done!!!

• A Ross dry sump drive

Will be sending this up to Andy (AMT Andy) so he can get to work on my trigger kit for the Ross Race damper I have.

Also got another Bosch air temp sensor as I felt I wanted to monitor pre intercooler temps.

Over the weekend I plan to be busy getting this cage completely installed. Then I can get the doors off, advertised and the new composite doors painted and fitted along with the polycarb side windows.
Also looking into making up my own injector, coil and sensor looms and have me eye on some sexy Deutsch AS series connectors. Decided to take the plunge and buy a Deutsch crimping tool as I reckon I will get a good bit of use out of it.

So, roll on tomorrow!!!

TT

#355 ·
Well...got cracking early doors this morning and got heaps done....

Started off by finishing the welding of the cage mounting boxes and then preparing and spraying them body colour. Once the paint dried I then started to install the cage. Was relatively easy to put in and looks the nuts!!!
Also, amazingly, my Peltor FMT-120 intercom arrived this afternoon so I installed that too.

Got absolutely loads done and VERY pleased with the progress!!!
Will upload some pics tomorrow...

TT

#356 ·
Right, so clearly I didnt get any pics up yesterday...

Not to worry though because, seeing as the weather was 'with the programme' I decided to give it a wash and take some pics. The result...

Intercom mounted on cage...

After all that I then started to prep the drivers composite door...

Shouldn't take too long to prep and spray. Reckon I'll have them done by the weekend.

Coming along nicely :D

TT

#357 ·
Amazing looking that's exactly how I want front of mine to look. Loving it buddy im so f@#doing jealous lol. But I've watching your progress & you have worked hard on it for last while you having done a Truely amazing job my man, love your ability to problem solve & think out of the box plus your creativity to just try something New. ill defo be stealing a few hints & tips from your thread. Pics are jaw dropping but bet it dont do the car justice to seeing it in the flesh I bet. People like you & few others on this forum help to drive me on in my build help lift my spirits when I can't be arsed or when its getting the better off me lol. Thank you for all your updates & pics.:clap::thumbsup:

#358 ·
Why thank you for the kind words...

TT

#362 ·
Not much been going on lately....
Helped my mate out yesterday fitting his engine back into his Fiesta RS Turbo...LOL. Was fun despite the weather.
However, was out this morning in the garage and managed to spray the drivers composite door....

As it came...

With a bit of primer....

Sprayed and lacquered...

Was a pretty reasonable job given that:-
1. I wasn't looking for a 'show' finish.
2. I was using rattle cans.
3. Garage ain't exactly a dust-free environment.

Just need to remove the original door and fit the handle and opening mechanism along with the polycarb window. I'm thinking this is going to be a bit of a bugger given the fact that the door is a hollow shell without any accoutrements. I'm sure I'll come up with some fanciful solution though :chuckle:

Also made up a carbon fibre panel...

to replace the one I made to hold the switches previously..

With all the things I need to place on a centre panel, I have run out of space so the carbon one will be full-length to accept the Dash 2 and DL1 fuses as well as the Syvecs Calibration switch that I have and other stuff..

Managed to fit the switches for the Dash 2 to my Sparco steering wheel. Idea is that I will use a 6-way coiled cable with a spare 6-way Deutsch DT connector that I have lying around. Going to get a panel mount DT receptacle so wheel can still be fully detached when needed.

Weekend garage foray over but a reasonable amount of stuff done.

TT

#363 · (Edited)
Progress not as quick as I would like lately due to a bloomin uni assignment!!! :nervous:. Still, gave myself a few garage hours today to get my brain in a calm place :chuckle:

Have fitted the drivers door along with polycarb window and refitted SPA mirror...

Awful pic but you get the idea...Decided to fit the mirror on the window itself as it gives the best performance in terms of vision.

Decided to only spray the outside skin and keep it natural inside..

Door hung quite well initially but I think some mild tweaking is in order to get it 'just right'. The difference in weight of the composite doors compared to my (already empty) standard doors was nothing short of phenomenal!!! You really have to feel it to believe it :eek: Got myself some white door squares which will give it the pukka 'competizione' look :chuckle:

Yesterday saw my delivery of coiled 5-core cable so I set about wiring my newly mounted switches for Dash 2...

Rear....(actually a lot neater in the flesh than it looks here!)..

All wired in to a spare 6-way Deutsch that I had lying about..

Man, I love these connectors!! Have a panel mount receptacle for it which I'll mount in place of the fuel pressure gauge which will be getting removed as its redundant. Idea being that while the wheel can be removed from column when getting in and out, being on a coiled cable will allow for lots of movement. While I cant forsee the wheel needing to be completely detached, the Deutsch allows for that eventuality.

Will get cracked on at the weekend and get the passengers door, window and mirror fitted. The polycarb windows have been lying around for a bit and have some pretty hairy scratches in places. Seen some guides on the net for polishing out scratches on polycarb/lexan so will give that a try at some stage.

Next item on the agenda is making up a new injector harness. Will be buying some ID1000's on payday and have sourced some EV6 plugs so I will do a bit of rewiring so that the injectors are plugged directly into ECU. Have a plan to wire all on-engine and off-engine services separately using beefy Deutsch AS connectors on the bulkhead..

This will allow the engine to be electrically disconnected with 1 plug should it need to come out in a hurry. :nervous:

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.