GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#493 · (Edited)
Since it was a nice evening after work I decided to do a bit to the sandblast cabinet I've been making...

A mate was binning his fridge-freezer and so I liberated one of the glass shelves :chuckle:. I feel I've done my bit for recycling....
Anyway, I cut the aperture with the jigsaw and profiled some batons on the compound table on the pillar drill so that the glass would be held in place. That seemed to work well!! Also, wired in the 3 roof lights..

Got a sandblast gun and some pickup hose the other day so all I need now is a grating on which to place the items to be blasted.
At least now I can blast and paint my rear spoiler brace and get that back in as lying around without any protection has given it a good coating of surface rust...grrrrr!!!

TT

#494 · (Edited)
So, there's been a bit of a cessation of activities on the GTR front over the last few months. As some of you may know, I bought a little 306 Rallye that needed saved from the scrapyard so all my time and effort has gone into getting that roadworthy. As that is now to all intents and purposes done I can turn my attention to the GTR..

The other day I got the ball rolling again and decided to buy a Coolingmist water/meth injection kit. I also bought (and received) a 10L tank for the boot....

Now in the best tradition, this is not straightforward as my boot is filled with fuel stuff and spoiler brace. So, after having a long think about it I have decided to take out some of the metal panel on the left hand side of the inner boot area. This should allow the tank a bit more room to sit. Managed to chisel out the spotwelds on the upper part and will need to cut the rest out with the grinder. Couldn't be arsed to do this this evening so it'll probably be one for the weekend.
I'll find a place for the pump (in boot) and it should be easy to route the pipe through the cabin into the engine bay. I have asked for a 700hp capable nozzle which should suffice. The plan is that, seeing this is a track ONLY car, it will be mapped on Tesco 99 WITH the water injection system active (using a 50/50 mix i reckon). Should see some decent gains there I hope.....

Also got the sandblasting cabinet operational with my mates small compressor. Blasted the rear brace, gave it a few coats of paint and installed it back in the boot. Looks MUCH better than it did.

Only issue now is that I have a VAST array of Pug 306 parts in my garage that I'll need to get rid off.....with parts prices SO much cheaper than Skyline stuff I wouldn't be greatly out of pocket if I just flung it all in the bin and forgot about it! I wont though and will try and get rid through the 306 GTI forum.

One last thing....Picked up a set of Aragosta coilovers that needed a (good) bit of TLC. Good news is that I'll be sending them off to AST in Gloucester who will service them for around £75 a corner. I have a feeling that they may need some internal parts but even if the rebuilds cost me £100 a corner then I'm still very much quids in. When I emailed the chap at AST initially he was very complimentary about the coilovers and said they were excellent units and premium products. Looking forward to swapping them for the current setup and seeing what all the fuss is about. They DO look the nuts though with separate Eibach helper springs and mains......

TT

#496 ·
Thankfully I don't have one. :chuckle::chuckle:

TT

#497 ·
Got cracked on with the water injection setup seeing as my pump etc came today. Unfortunately the kit was minus solenoid so hopefully that'll be along soon. Mind you, it's not like the Skyline's going anywhere soon anyway!!

Cut the inner boot bulkhead bit to make way for the reservoir...

Need to get a float switch for the tank and get it installed at some point. As I said previously, the idea would be to have the car mapped on Tesco 99 WITH 50/50 meth/water and run that as default. I would also have a separate non water/meth map which could be initiated when the ECU receives a signal from the float switch saying tank is low.

Pump mounted as far back and as central as possible given constraints.....

Nylon tubing connecting reservoir to pump...

Will P-clip it to floor.

Tubing from pump through bulkhead into cabin....

Will try and route the tubing into the engine bay tomorrow and get all that out the way. Next job will be to drill and tap plenum (as near the inlet hole as possible) to take the nozzle. With a bit of care I believe I can get it drilled and tapped in-situ which would be great!!

Really felt a buzz today from resuming working on the GTR....it's been a while but I think that I need to spend some time finishing all the small, crappy jobs in prep for the ECU install and map.

TT

#499 ·
Was looking all sorry for itself in the garage this morning so I wheeled it out and gave it a wash.....

Seeing it looking a little fresher and minus the thick layer of dust made me realise just how badly I want it running.....

Will have to get the finger out I think!!!!

TT

Reactions: sädde
#501 ·
Been doing a little bit on the GTR again when I have a spare minute!!.....

This year I went to Geneva motor show and saw this....

Took some tips and inspiration from it, especially the rear window vents...

So, armed with one of these...

And 2 of these...

I decided to get stuck in....

Hole cut....no going back now!!

How it looks after a bit of work....

I think it turned out rather well TBH. Thing is with these type of jobs is that it isn't the first one that's the bother. Its ensuring the second one looks reasonably symmetrical!! Don't think mine are miles out....

Now, just this ECU to buy........now how many times has that phrase been said I wonder??? :chuckle:

TT

#502 ·
Just bought a Greddy copy plenum off Ebay for the princely sum of £110!! Will soon see how good/bad it is....
To be fair, from threads I've read on here and elsewhere, these seem to be pretty decent.

Means that I can drill/tap the holder for the water/meth nozzle off the car. And if there are any issues then I can easily just go and get a boss welded on.

TT

#505 ·
Received my Greddy copy plenum the other day and was surprised by the speed. Definitely UK stock!!
Came well packaged and with fittings and o-ring etc. Looks well made TBH.

Only issues are:-
1. Some casting excess inside the main chamber. An hour with the die grinder sorted that out.
2. The mating faces for the two halves of the chamber aren't exactly 100% true. Nothing that a quick trip to the local machine shop won't cure.
3. Groove for O-ring varies slightly in depth so a thicker one might have to be sourced.

All-in-all, for £110 delivered I'm not exactly spitting the dummy!!! Machining will probably cost me £20 or so and an O-ring should be a quid or two. Also took the time to drill and tap the 1/8NPT thread to take the water/meth nozzle.

Considering that a gen Greddy plenum would be typically around £ 500, I'm more than happy to sort out the niggles for the considerable saving. Again, it's not that I CAN'T afford a genuine one but I'd rather pay less money for the same thing (niggles notwithstanding!!)

#506 · (Edited)
Plenum

Good to see you continuing with budget solutions. :) The GReddy replica plenums are a good thing if you're prepared to spend some time on them. With mine I found that the quality of the casting is as good as the proper GReddy RB25 manifold I've used in the past but the machining isn't great and they do need a bit of work to seal.

I found that all the flanges needed to be flatted. The worst face was between the plenum halves. On mine I struggled to get a local machine shop to take it on for a reasonable price due to the curved shape of the plenum outer so I bought a cheap glass table locally off Gumtree. Threw away the metal frame and G-clamped it to a flat wooden bench. Stuck a wide, cut up, sanding belt to it and spent a few hours re-facing the two halves.

The o-ring groove around the perimeter wasn't the same width or depth all the way around so I corrected that a bit and then used a 3.5mm seal made with a universal O-ring kit. Then made up a pressure test rig and blew 35psi through it and found that the three metal pipes that stick out of the plenum also leaked a little so they were sealed on the inside and outside.

The runners needed to be port matched at the throttle body face to correct the alignment but then my GReddy RB25 plenum also needed that when I used it.

I then spent a fair bit of time porting it and ended up with this:

Light Metal Automotive lighting Silver Steel

Also checked the volume of the standard plenum against the GReddy replica and found the following:

Standard plenum 3750cc
GReddy replica 5750cc
GReddy replica ported 6750cc

Hope that helps :)

Cheers
Stu

#508 ·
Good to see you continuing with budget solutions. :) The GReddy replica plenums are a good thing if you're prepared to spend some time on them. With mine I found that the quality of the casting is as good as the proper GReddy RB25 manifold I've used in the past but the machining isn't great and they do need a bit of work to seal.

I found that all the flanges needed to be flatted. The worst face was between the plenum halves. On mine I struggled to get a local machine shop to take it on for a reasonable price due to the curved shape of the plenum outer so I bought a cheap glass table locally off Gumtree. Threw away the metal frame and G-clamped it to a flat wooden bench. Stuck a wide, cut up, sanding belt to it and spent a few hours re-facing the two halves.

The o-ring groove around the perimeter wasn't the same width or depth all the way around so I corrected that a bit and then used a 3.5mm seal made with a universal O-ring kit. Then made up a pressure test rig and blew 35psi through it and found that the three metal pipes that stick out of the plenum also leaked a little so they were sealed on the inside and outside.

The runners needed to be port matched at the throttle body face to correct the alignment but then my GReddy RB25 plenum also needed that when I used it.

I then spent a fair bit of time porting it and ended up with this:

View attachment 58025

Also checked the volume of the standard plenum against the GReddy replica and found the following:

Standard plenum 3750cc
GReddy replica 5750cc
GReddy replica ported 6750cc

Hope that helps :)

Cheers
Stu

I love this type of helpful and informative post. Well above the "I wouldn't buy that as its a copy" type crap. Make it work, get some enjoyment out of what you have achieved and share it for the real enthusiasts instead of bragging about all the brands your car is now advertising.

I'm not saying this can always be the case, or that it's always cost affective... But I am saying enthusiasm and some effort really can ream results :)

#507 ·
Thanks Stu...

Very helpful!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

TT

#512 ·
Not much in the way of progress..mostly down to the fact that everythings pretty much done other than ECU.

What I DID do was have the notion to change the end plates on the wing. I've always been troubled by the size of them so thought I'd remedy that my making up a couple of carbon plates.
Just used 2 bits of cloth around a bit of 4mm Coremat. Still need finishing i.e corners rounded and exposed coremat painted black but I think the results are pretty satisfying and are more akin to what I was expecting.........kind of British GT Championship looking :chuckle:

Next (bigger) job will be to fit the Trust-style plenum which I'll do after I get it machined.

TT

Reactions: sädde
#515 ·
Thanks!!..

Have just removed my trusty Apexi N1 exhaust in prep for a nice Amuse Ti item :smokin::smokin:

Won't be much happeining TBH until I

a) Get my hands on a Skylab Fusion
b) Finally buy this goddamn ECU!! (which WILL be next spring!)
c) Send my logger and dash to Race Technology for a diagnostic
d) Send my recently acquired Aragosta dampers to AST for a rebuild

Every so often (as was the case for the end plates and rear window vents) I'll have a flash of inspiration and go off and create :chuckle:.

Having my little 306 Rallye to work on these days keeps me amused and out of trouble i.e. out of the missus' way!!

TT

#516 ·
So, received the Amuse Ti exhaust (Thanks Andy!!). All I can say is WOW!!!

Even with the robust packaging the thing was unbelievably light. Once I had unwrapped it and had it bare, I decided to weigh both it and the Apexi N1 I had removed...

Apexi 14.5Kg
Amuse Ti a shade under 5Kg

I'll consider that a 10Kg saving which is VERY useful!!

VERY happy!!

One of the small skid plates from tube to silencer is cracked (known about before purchase) so will get that welded and then put on the car.

TT

#518 · (Edited)
No preinstalled pics but a couple fitted....

I couldn't be arsed to get the skid plate welded so didn't bother. To be fair, its so light and there's a hanger not far away so can't see it being an issue.

Still can't stress how light this thing is!!! It's insane!!!

TT

#522 ·
No idea TBH.....can't start the car until I have an ECU. That will be next summer, perhaps a bit sooner..

TT

#523 ·
So, the links that should work THIS time!!...

TT

#528 ·
So....bought a Tomei Ti decat from AndysGTR (thanks Andy!) to compliment the Amuse Ti system I also bought from him....

Went to fit it and noticed that it was missing something.........a lambda boss which my old decat had. Faster than a rabbit down a hole I had cut a nice hole in it........

I also bought a Ti nut which I will mill down a bit and have welded in place.

Also a nice 500g saving :chuckle:

TT

#529 ·
The bung for the cat is only an exhaust temp sensor which illuminates the check engine light on the dash if the temperature is too high due to a blocked cat. It's not essential to have since you are running a straight pipe and I believe this is the reason why Tomei didn't bother fitting a bung to their pipe.
No harm in having it there though.
I do like the Tomei Ti straight pipe. I was going to get one to match the Ti cat back I got. Shame it's only available in 3 inch :(

#530 ·
The hole is to take my new wideband lambda to feed data to ECU. I also have 2 EGT sensors, 1 in each turbo exhaust elbow to provide extra data.

The plan is to have a good set of instrumentation with which to log. Better to have lots of good data than no data at all!!!

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.