My R32 GTR pics - Page 17 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th November 2012, 07:18 AM   #321 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Get all my fittings from Torques.co.uk (ebay shop)...Alex is a top chap and the service and products are excellent!!! Would readily recommend them..

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 09:40 PM   #322 (permalink)
maxster17 is toolin' in Japan
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Good color, was that a NISMO front end? Didn't see the side skirts though.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:50 PM   #323 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxster17 View Post
was that a NISMO front end? Didn't see the side skirts though.
No, I added Nismo vents to the front bumper. The rear side spats are Nismo but the rest of the side skirts are just modified std items (i.e cut down as the genuine Nismo items are moulded shorter than std)

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)

Old 21st November 2012, 11:30 AM   #324 (permalink)
New Users

So, finally got the fuel system plumbed!!

Going to make a custom fibreglass air duct for the cooler as I cant find anything off the shelf that will do what I need it to do. Other than that, I just need to fill it with some Super and test for leaks!! Taken more time and £££ than anticipated but it's worth it. A BIG shout out again to Alex at Torques.co.uk for the great service received and the speedy delivery of all my hoses/fittings etc..

TT
Old 26th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #325 (permalink)
New Users

Been busy making a plywood mould for my cooler duct....coming along nicely... Will post pics up when its done.
Thought I had nothing better to do yesterday than but some S/U/L and flush the boot part of the system through to get any debris etc out of the tank/swirl pot/lines. Connected battery, activated master and switched on IGN only to find the pumps spinning for around 2s before shutting off!!!....Now the funny thing was, when I checked all the connections immediately after initial wiring, I only flicked the ignition on for a second so I wouldnt damage the pumps. I assumed that as they were working, everything was OK and left it at that!. Now the way I wired the relays up, the ground for the feeds is via ECU (Pin 18 IIRC..the brown/pink wire). It seems that this is only a momentary ground and switches off after a couple of seconds!!!
So, after cutting this wire and grounding straight to the chassis, everything is fine once again....

Had to undo the rear ARB so I could get in with the drill to finish of the rear fuel cooler mount. While it was off I remembered Mark (Abbey Mark ) saying he thought the solid rear ARB linkages I made up were a bit suspect and recommended I change it.....to that end I have bought some rod ends and LH/RH threaded rod to make PROPER turnbuckles.
So, having ordered
4x(2 R/H, 2 L/H)

Some boots..

spacers...

and stainless threaded rod...

I can now crack on and do what I was going to do in the first place... Just need to make up some U-shaped mounting brackets and I can put that job to bed.

On another note, I was having some difficulty in working out how I was going to tighten up the underfloor fittings which attach to the bulkhead fittings for the fuel feed and return lines. Space is VERY limited and spanners are a non-starter. Had a brainwave and bought some 7/8"(for the -8AN fittings) and a 1" (for the -10AN fittings) crow foot wrenches. Man, I cannot believe, even as an ex-mechanic that I had not discovered these earlier..they do the job perfectly and are AWESOME!!!

TT
Old 26th November 2012, 09:06 PM   #326 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Love reading your progress Scott, and the way you go about things.
Not one to worry about trying new stuff and being different!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook ZEALOU5 turning cars into heroes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZEALOU5

Please Whatsapp me on 07970699470.
(^^^best way to get in touch tbh^^^).
Mobile: 07970699470

Email:
fourtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 09:33 PM   #327 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtoes View Post
Love reading your progress Scott, and the way you go about things.
Not one to worry about trying new stuff and being different!

Bob
Thanks Bob...

TT
Old 27th November 2012, 02:56 PM   #328 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Car looks amazing ,not over the top.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:48 PM   #329 (permalink)
New Users

Rod ends, boots and spacers arrived very promptly (as always) from McGill Motorsports back up in Scotland

Along with the stainless LH/RH threaded rod I bought I made up some links...

OK, these are just what they looked like mocked up.....the finished articles have the side spacer INSIDE the boots and the threaded rod has been cut down by 15mm each side. This gives a 'between centres' measurement of 70mm which, when combined with the U-shaped mounts will give an acceptable ARB-lower arm distance. Also had to weld an M6 nut in the middle of each rod as I mistakenly thought the rods came with them. A quick zip up with the MIG sorted the problem

Made 2 of the U-shaped mounts but the cold in the garage forced me to flee into the house for the night .

Will finish off the remaining 2 over the weekend and get them fitted...

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 29th November 2012 at 10:54 PM..
Old 2nd December 2012, 05:33 PM   #330 (permalink)
New Users

More cracking on....

Thought I would get on with finishing the rear ARB droplinks. Thought it would be a dead-easy, straight-forward job.....LOL, NO!!

Thing is, I bought M6 rod ends as I reckoned that would be the MINIMUM I would want in terms of strength in the interconnecting threaded rod. Now, as you can see from the pics, the assemblies are as short as I could practically get them...about 68mm between centres. Thing is, I couldn't get the ARB to swing low enough to get anywhere near that.
Now, I couldnt shorten the drop links any further so I decided on a 2 step approach...
Firstly, I dropped the ARB mounts by 20mm (2x10mm plates)...

That helped loads but wasn't enough. I noticed that the ARB hits the diff mount so I removed the small crossmember and 'processed' it ...

This then gave enough gap to get the links in.....

Very happy with results but surprised at the lengths I had to go to fit them . There's more than enough swing in the links to cater for any movement so its all good. Glad its done and dusted......

Had hoped to get on with laminating my fuel cooler duct mould...

but, TBH, the time it took me to finish the droplinks left me a bit weary. I prefer to do any composite stuff in one go and there was never going to be enough time left to prep, gelcoat and lay-up the glassfibre so I'll do that another day.

TT
Old 11th December 2012, 07:29 PM   #331 (permalink)
New Users

Been busy getting on with the laminating of the mould this week and finally released it this evening...

Turned out exceptionally well IMHO...just needs to be tidied, sanded down and painted. I briefly offered it up to the cooler and it fits like a glove...just a little modification to allow it to bolt to the cooler frame and it'll be ready to go. WELL pleased...Just a shame I had to destroy the mould during the extraction though...
Used 3 plies of tissue CSM initially to get the contours right then added a layer of 3mm Coremat followed by another 3 layers of CSM (in different sessions!). Also used a bit of aluminium pipe as a former for the inlet. I MAY keep it in to add a bit of strength but TBH, its a pretty robust moulding and I reckon I can get away without it. I will be using some adhesive lined heat shrink to join duct and hose together so dont need massive strength in the inlet.

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 11th December 2012 at 07:36 PM..
Old 12th December 2012, 07:52 PM   #332 (permalink)
Swobber is Working hard

Where are you collecting air for the fuel cooler?

Innovative like an old Volvo! HAHA!
Swobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 09:13 PM   #333 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swobber View Post
Where are you collecting air for the fuel cooler?
Had been looking at taking a feed from under the car but am looking into better options...

TT
Old 14th December 2012, 02:01 AM   #334 (permalink)
Adam-Murse is Reshelling His R33GTS-T

Fantastic build thread, well done! I'm not sure what impresses me more, your fab skills or your ability to sniff out a fantastic bargain!

out of curiosity what did you do with your RB26 cam covers? I'm looking for some for my RB25 (I know the 25 ones are "better" especially for track work, but my cars a daily drive and running stock power so I shouldn't have an issue I just prefer the look!)
Old 14th December 2012, 12:15 PM   #335 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-Murse View Post
Fantastic build thread, well done! I'm not sure what impresses me more, your fab skills or your ability to sniff out a fantastic bargain!

out of curiosity what did you do with your RB26 cam covers? I'm looking for some for my RB25 (I know the 25 ones are "better" especially for track work, but my cars a daily drive and running stock power so I shouldn't have an issue I just prefer the look!)
Thanks for your kind words...
Unfortunately the 26 covers were sold ages ago.

TT
Old 15th December 2012, 11:20 PM   #336 (permalink)
New Users

So, ploughing on..
Seeing as I'd taken the easy route and moulded the opening for where the cooler would sit as a rectangle I was faced with the fact that there would be 2 large gaps at each end. Solved this with a couple of small aluminium seals....(the 2 redish bits on either side of the matrix..can you guess where I cut them from )

When installed they look like this...
Front

Rear

when installed properly, I will use a bit of sealant around the edges so they are 100% airtight. This ensures that ALL the collected air will pass through the cooler and not around it

Did a little bit of cutting on one side to allow the cooler to sit a tad lower in the duct..

Just needs painted and a small bit of sanding down of the round inlet as I seem to have gone a bit thicker than I would have liked....My 76mm hose no longer fits over the inlet so a bit of thinning out is needed.

Nearly there though.....

TT
Old 16th December 2012, 02:03 PM   #337 (permalink)
danxs is bored at home

i love the home made ducting, very creative
Old 19th December 2012, 10:49 AM   #338 (permalink)
Adam Kindness is phu phu phu

will your fuel be getting that hot?

-
- Sponsored by Ultralite &

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Adam Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 12:09 PM   #339 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kindness View Post
will your fuel be getting that hot?
Not any more

I had read some posts made by folks running 2x044's who mentioned fuel temp issues. As I was replumbing the entire fuel feed-return system anyway I thought it was a good time to install one. Would rather have one IN and doing nothing than not have one, and then find out I NEED it!.
Have added a fuel temp sensor imediately post-rail so will see how the numbers stack up. For completeness, I suppose it would have been prudent to add another fuel temp sensor post-cooler to see the delta but, hey, thats life!!

TT
Old 19th December 2012, 01:14 PM   #340 (permalink)
Adam Kindness is phu phu phu

hehehe...

i've only felt our swirl pot after a run and its never been warm... but i guess every little helps

-
- Sponsored by Ultralite &

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Adam Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote