My R32 GTR pics - Page 18 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th January 2013, 09:32 PM   #341 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Not much been going on, what with festive period and travel with work.....
Attended Autosport last weekend and was a bit disappointed at the lack of purchasing opportunities. I DID however, pick up a brake proportioning valve...

Also, (and with BIG thanks again to Al, Bob and Jack) picked up an as-new roll cage by 'Caged' in Frome. An amazing bit of kit and VERY substantial it has to be said!!

Also removed the original mountings that came with it....along with a good portion of the car

Once I have cleaned up the mounting turrets I will weld them into place. Removing them from the original shell was a bit of a nightmare TBH but we got there in the end!!

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 10:46 PM   #342 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Was great to see you again Scott, just wish I could have hung around longer!
Can't wait to see the cage fitted!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook ZEALOU5 turning cars into heroes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZEALOU5

Please Whatsapp me on 07970699470.
(^^^best way to get in touch tbh^^^).
Mobile: 07970699470

Email:
fourtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 11:04 PM   #343 (permalink)
Lamb is missing his best mate and teacher Tweenierob - RIP mate
New Users

Where can i get a cage like that?

RIP Tweenierob - Best mate, teacher and legend - Miss you soo much and will never forget you mate.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18th January 2013, 12:45 AM   #344 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Where can i get a cage like that?
The answer's in the previous post!!! 'Caged' in Frome 01373 452866

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 18th January 2013, 09:51 AM   #345 (permalink)
Lamb is missing his best mate and teacher Tweenierob - RIP mate
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
The answer's in the previous post!!! 'Caged' in Frome 01373 452866

TT

My bad....missed that.

Rough indication on price?...

RIP Tweenierob - Best mate, teacher and legend - Miss you soo much and will never forget you mate.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 10:29 AM   #346 (permalink)
Adam Kindness is phu phu phu
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

any step by step guides on the grp work you did for the ducting?

-
- Sponsored by Ultralite &

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Adam Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 11:18 AM   #347 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
My bad....missed that.

Rough indication on price?...
No, sorry. You would need to call them for a quote. Mine was secondhand and a tad over £500.

Adam - Dont have any more pics other than the one's on the thread. As for a process it went something like:- Measure cooler matrix dimensions; consider the shape of duct needed given the dimensions of cooler and space available under car; construct mould based on <<---; usual mould preparations (PVA, wax etc); gelcoat layer; start laying up CSM; layer of coremat (my choice but not essential); more CSM; layer of flocoat; leave to harden; remove from mould; voila....done!!

Some good books on composite construction. I have the Simon McBeath Competition car composites (part of the Haynes series) which is good from a technical point of view. Also have an older one...Automotive Glassfibre by Dennis Foy which is slightly more 'hands-on'. Both books are excellent and complement each other well... theory and technical Vs practical.
Composites are not as shrouded in mystique as you are lead to believe. Its like anything else, just get yourself some resin, material and PPE and get stuck in. You'll grasp the basics of technique very quickly and can start making useful stuff VERY quickly. Its just the mould/pattern making that takes the time and thought. Once you have that done, making the actual part is a doddle!!

TT
Old 18th January 2013, 11:27 AM   #348 (permalink)

good good, yup, seen McBeath's books before... more the aero one, but wouldnt mind both.

Using PVA as a release for the mould so it just pulls off/out rather than wax?

ta

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 18th January 2013, 11:29 AM   #349 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kindness View Post
good good, yup, seen McBeath's books before... more the aero one, but wouldnt mind both.

Using PVA as a release for the mould so it just pulls off/out rather than wax?

ta
Depending on what I'm using to make the mould from i.e. its porosity, I generally use both PVA and wax. PVA first as a sealant and then a few separate coats of wax as a release. Never had any bother with extraction using that method..

I have the whole Haynes series, thoroughly recommended.

TT
Old 18th January 2013, 11:31 AM   #350 (permalink)

ah, ok... understand.

Fancy making up some ducting for the GTR and def Impreza for its headlights to inlet

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 18th January 2013, 12:05 PM   #351 (permalink)
mambastu is looking forward to fork lift powah !

Cars owned: TH1 R32GTR, Ex-RB25DETT RS13
Top job as usual TT. Nice duct.

Cheers

Stu

Stu
mambastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 04:55 PM   #352 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kindness View Post
ah, ok... understand.

Fancy making up some ducting for the GTR and def Impreza for its headlights to inlet
I intend to start making a mould of the GTR N/S headlight very soon. I have a million and one other things to do but it IS on my list. Have bought some carbon twill to make a holder for my Dash 2 and more CSM so I'l likely just do them all at once!!

TT
Old 26th January 2013, 06:14 PM   #353 (permalink)
New Users

Been busy...Have prepared the body boxes for the cage and have them tacked in place. Also managed to trial fit the cage and cut the dash. Unfortunately I ran out of welding gas earlier so it'll be a trip to Machinemart tomorrow for another bottle. Should get the boxes finished, cleaned up and primered.
Here's how its coming along....

The car has been screaming out for a cage and seeing it all in, albeit a dummy fit, it just looked 'right'. Over the moon with it!!

Also managed to sell my Sard 700cc injectors today which I plan to replace with ID1000's. Get paid in a couple of days so will order them then .

Oh, almost forgot....got to work with the clear silicone sealant and put a generous bead around the rear polycarb screen. Despite installing it with a thick foam seal, it leaked a bit the last time it was out in the rain (trip up to Abbey). Hopefully this will solve the problem. Minor, but niggly

TT
Old 1st February 2013, 08:14 PM   #354 (permalink)
New Users

So, seeing as its just after payday I have been buying some stuff....
  • A Peltor FMT-120 intercom unit...

Just need the lead from intercom to Motorola radio and the system is all done!!!
  • A Ross dry sump drive

Will be sending this up to Andy (AMT Andy) so he can get to work on my trigger kit for the Ross Race damper I have.

Also got another Bosch air temp sensor as I felt I wanted to monitor pre intercooler temps.

Over the weekend I plan to be busy getting this cage completely installed. Then I can get the doors off, advertised and the new composite doors painted and fitted along with the polycarb side windows.
Also looking into making up my own injector, coil and sensor looms and have me eye on some sexy Deutsch AS series connectors. Decided to take the plunge and buy a Deutsch crimping tool as I reckon I will get a good bit of use out of it.

So, roll on tomorrow!!!

TT
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:07 PM   #355 (permalink)
New Users

Well...got cracking early doors this morning and got heaps done....

Started off by finishing the welding of the cage mounting boxes and then preparing and spraying them body colour. Once the paint dried I then started to install the cage. Was relatively easy to put in and looks the nuts!!!
Also, amazingly, my Peltor FMT-120 intercom arrived this afternoon so I installed that too.

Got absolutely loads done and VERY pleased with the progress!!!
Will upload some pics tomorrow...

TT
Old 4th February 2013, 01:01 PM   #356 (permalink)
New Users

Right, so clearly I didnt get any pics up yesterday...

Not to worry though because, seeing as the weather was 'with the programme' I decided to give it a wash and take some pics. The result...

Intercom mounted on cage...

After all that I then started to prep the drivers composite door...

Shouldn't take too long to prep and spray. Reckon I'll have them done by the weekend.

Coming along nicely

TT
Old 4th February 2013, 02:07 PM   #357 (permalink)
nismoboy is Tap Snap or Nap. Vale Tudo Submission Squad

Cars owned: R32 GTR Project, Yamaha R1, R6 & Suzuki Hayabusa.
Amazing looking that's exactly how I want front of mine to look. Loving it buddy im so [email protected]#doing jealous lol. But I've watching your progress & you have worked hard on it for last while you having done a Truely amazing job my man, love your ability to problem solve & think out of the box plus your creativity to just try something New. ill defo be stealing a few hints & tips from your thread. Pics are jaw dropping but bet it dont do the car justice to seeing it in the flesh I bet. People like you & few others on this forum help to drive me on in my build help lift my spirits when I can't be arsed or when its getting the better off me lol. Thank you for all your updates & pics.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:13 PM   #358 (permalink)
New Users

Why thank you for the kind words...

TT
Old 4th February 2013, 05:48 PM   #359 (permalink)
glensR33 is GTR Mad
GTROC Member

Location: Ireland, 2x R32 GTRs, 1x R33 GTST, 2x MR2 Turbos, 1x na MR2 tbar, 1xA4 estate, 1x Forester bus;)
cant wait for videos man
Old 4th February 2013, 08:40 PM   #360 (permalink)
Swobber is Working hard

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A209...m?referrerUrl=
Page 22 - look for cooling ducts. Could have saved you a bit of time

Car looks ace ... mmmmm...

Innovative like an old Volvo! HAHA!
Swobber is offline   Reply With Quote