GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#605 ·
Yes, that as well....

:chuckle:

And because 2 are more expensive.... :chuckle:

TT

#606 ·
Well, managed to find the right fitting by a bit of guesstimation.......

Rather chuffed with myself as I don't have an imperial thread checker and usually end up going through a few fittings before getting the right one...:chuckle:

Having a dilemma about exhaust manifolds but need to make a decision soon and get things moving.....

TT

#607 · (Edited)
So, more going's on today...

Drilled and tapped the water jacket thingy under the throttle bodies....

Took it out to an M12 and used a grub screw I had lying about. I've no need for it so best of getting plugged!!

In a drilling and tapping frenzy, I did the same to the nipple that used to grace the rad top hose elbow......

I've ordered an M12 - AN6 fitting and will use braided hose between here and turbo water outlet.

THEN, I made up a little blanking plate for the rear turbo oil drain hole as I wont be using it any more...

Noticed that my block is an N1. Had a major suspicion about it when I bought the car and this categorically proves it. Certainly looks kosher to me chuckle: :chuckle:

In a fit of nonsense, I changed the water fitting to a stainless one over the aluminium one. So, water and oil feeds and rear turbo drain blank plate....

So that's all the water/oil port stuff done in prep for the hoses and fittings. Just need to decide on a bleedin' manifold!!!

TT

#612 · (Edited)
Suppose it depends on how far you want to take it with regards to your specific application.

I am using a single turbo and so the plenum side on mine looks thus....

Basically all gone, water and vac..... using the water/oil feeds from the other side of the block and the front water return here....

To which I have installed an AN-6 fitting.

Got myself a turbo pre-filter....

Which should provide a bit of extra filtration....

And, if that wasn't enough, I also managed to find an unused, secondhand (genuine) DEI T4 turbo blanket kit for a huge saving from new.....:)

Have decided on a Full-race exhaust manifold so will be placing an order imminently...

TT

Reactions: FRRACER
#613 ·
Received these this morning.....

Am in the process of getting shipping quotes from Full Race for a manifold so should have that sorted V soon.....

TT

#614 ·
Despite me trying to have some resolve here I jumped in and bought Graham1987's Trust 264 9.7 cams :)

Full-Race manifold has a 4 week lead-time so getting these fitted will give me something meaningful to do in the intervening period :chuckle:

These should be a nice compliment to the GT4094 I reckon....

TT

#617 ·
So, placed my order today for a Full-Race T4 manifold with twin 44mm wastegate flanges and 2000deg ceramic coating.....

:thumbsup:

Can't wait to get it and the turbo on and plumbed in :D.....

TT

#619 ·
As invariably happens, I was sat the other day with money burning a hole in my pocket so ended up buying a pair of Bi-xenon lights....

Will remove std headlights and make up some carbon or GRP blanks. The near-side one will have a duct incorporated which will provide air to the monster K&N and both will have one of these lights embedded. Had thought about doing this for a while now so pushed the 'buy' button and stopped procrastinating....:)

TT

#626 ·
I have my old headlights in the back of the garage. They have a similar kit fitted (though knackered and LHD). If you want to have them to use as bases for you new kit you are welcome. Then you could keep/sell you OEM lights without having to chop them up.

Shout if that's any use for you.

#620 ·
Well....... some rather large happenings in the world of Skyline!!...

First off, I received my Xenon lighting kit which, for the money, is frankly amazing!!. Secondly, picked up compressor housing from local welding shop after they fitted my self-made boss...

Did a sterling job as usual (they welded my Ti decat and plenum)!!!

However, there has been a rather large (temporary) change of direction......
This month I planned to buy the Syvecs S8 ECU as well as the Motes CAN keypad and UTC adapter which would have pretty much finished off the (current, pre-mapping) shopping list!. Unfortunately I was presented with an offer that was just too good to refuse and have ended up spending my ECU stash on a share of an aeroplane!!!..

It was just too good an offer to pass up and the GTR has had to suffer the consequences :bawling:. However, I will be saving up once more and the missus has agreed that the ECU money will come out of joint funds in the springtime rather than my own car/hobby stash so good news there...

So, time to contemplate with the GTR until spring I reckon......:rolleyes:

TT

#622 ·
You could have drilled and tapped the cast boss on the compressor housing mate to save welding to it. That's what it's there for unless it's in a position not suitable for you?
That would have been my first choice. Unfortunately the turbo has had a shaft speed sensor at some point (which I plan to add soon myself) which is very close to the cast boss. I think there would definitely have been some interference hence the reason for relocating the take-off somewhere out of the way...

Nice purchase on the plane do you have a license to fly it?
Yes. Had a PPL for MANY years and a plane was always on the cards. Looking to get an IR at some point and will get something a bit more tasty when the time is right :). Thinking C182T/C210 or maybe even a little C340 if I can stop going daft on other projects!!!! :chuckle::chuckle::eek:

TT

#623 ·
Yh I did see your shaft speed conversion but didn't look to close in pics, obv now you'll have to have your compressor exit pointing towards the ground instead of pointing the wing as it will hit bonnet?

I no nothing about planes mate so that doesn't mean a lot to me, do they cost a lot to maintain and use?

#624 ·
Yh I did see your shaft speed conversion but didn't look to close in pics, obv now you'll have to have your compressor exit pointing towards the ground instead of pointing the wing as it will hit bonnet?
It's not as vertical as it looks in the pic TBH, plus I'll be using a 90deg fitting. I'll have no worries with bonnet clearance.....!!

I no nothing about planes mate so that doesn't mean a lot to me, do they cost a lot to maintain and use?
Depends on many factors just like cars. I'll be paying £100/month for fixed costs (hanger, landing card etc) and the group charges itself £85/flying hour which goes into a pot for things like maintenance, upgrades etc. A modest first step onto the aircraft owning ladder :)

TT

#625 ·
SO, despite the 'setback', I've not been idle......

Made up a couple of fibreglass indicator blanks over the last few days.....

They're not perfect but I'm very happy with how they've turned out. The mould I made is in good shape so might run off a couple in carbon at a later date as I used the last of the carbon experimenting :chuckle:.

Have also decided (pretty much) to use the intervening period to do some 'stuff'

1. Have my spare Aragosta dampers rebuilt and fitted.
2. Pull engine and fit OS R4C quad plate clutch
3. Fit replacement front sump with 4.3 CWP
4. Fit rear Nismo 2-way LSD with 4.3 CWP
5. Fit my Greddy 9.7mm cams

I MAY even, depending on my feeling at the time, get some forged rods and 87mm pistons and chuck them in.... Would seem like a sensible time to do it.

So, still stuff happening!!

TT

Reactions: sädde
#629 ·
Gave the 306 a wash and wax today and while in the garage putting cleaning stuff away decided to have a look at my xenon kit. Next thing I know I'm drilling stuff!!! :confused::confused:

Mounted ballast on O/S..

And some other box...

Near side was slightly different due to the fact that it has a cut out compared to no cut out on off-side. Had to be a bit creative!

Have run out of various composite supplies so once they arrive I'll make a start to designing some light blanks/xenon holders....

TT

#630 ·
Well, manifold's arrived at FedEx Stansted!! Should be here Tues..

V excited!!!

TT

#631 ·
Well, after a bit of tooing and froing with FedEx(!!!!) I finally have my manifold. Behold!!!!......

The pics really don't do it justice....a very overused term but 100% correct in this case. The manifold is, shall we say, rather robust :chuckle: and weighs a ton!! Not cheap, but (and I'm not even wincing when I say it!) worth the money!.. As you can see I went for the 2000deg ceramic coating which is rather nice and when wrapped with DEI wrap should give extra thermal protection under bonnet!

As I've decided to pull the engine over the winter and fit forged pistons/rods the manifold will stay in its box only to be trial fitted so I can get the correct lengths sorted out for oil/water pipes.

On another subject, due to the fact that I have removed and blanked the indicators I decided to get some LED replacements. Initially I wanted clear lenses with amber LED's but trying to find them in the right shape was proving rather difficult. In the end I settled for an amber lensed indicator in the rectangular shape I wanted.....

You can see them just below the Motul stickers. And when on.....

Are actually rather bright! V pleased with the way they have turned out!

Have made up some moulds from the main headlamps so will be getting cracked on with making up some GRP shells to house my Xenon lamps and scoop.

TT

Reactions: sädde
#633 ·
No..:chuckle:. Personally I agree with your argument (re thermal efficiency) that you posted up about using copper piping!!

I hear that copper's dropping in price so time might be right to get yourself some more :)

TT

#635 ·
No!!!

At this rate, I'll be too old to drive it when it's ready...:)

Realistically, hoping to be done around this time next year as I've a few other things needing my cash and attention.....

TT

#636 · (Edited)
OK, update...!

Take an Absolute vodka bottle and cover it in gelcoat!..

Then add a few layers of fibreglass tissue, chopped strand matt and some coremat and you have this....

Then, make some moulds of your headlights..

After a bit of fettling you get this...

Which after a bit of cutting out of the hole looks like this...

After I'd extracted one of the xenons from the box it kind of looks like this...

And with a bit of power to the halo looks like this... (Even THATS bright!!)

And lastly, jury-rigged on the car to give an idea....

OK, so there's a good bit of finishing work needed but you get the idea! Very happy with that TBH. Turned out better than I'd hoped as this is only attempt no.1..!!!! I really expected to go through a few iterations before having something useful so this is a big bonus!!
The other side will be the same but I'll utilise a Revotec duct and incorporate it into the final product to give some air to the (huge) K&N which will sit directly behind.

Also, temptation got the better of me and I thought I'd get the manifold out for a trial fit.....:chuckle:

I'm over the moon with it but looking at the front wastegate, I've no idea how I'm going to get a dump pipe to join to the downpipe :confused:. However, I'm not too concerned about that right now....that'll be the exhaust fabricators problem..:chuckle:. Rear one'll be easy though!!

Moved the boost solenoid to a better location and used some hardline for the boost feed...

Don't worry though, I'm using solid engine mounts so there will be NO movement between engine/chassis just in case some of you were having palpitations!! :chuckle:

And lastly, got some Ring foglamps and fitted them a'la stock-rods from the 80's/90's :). Love the look..

So, will have to wait until I get another Absolute vodka bottle as I had to destroy the last one to get the light holder free!!....:(. Never mind!!! . Will now get on with sizing the correct length lines and fittings for all the water/oil/air pipes for turbo install.

TT

#638 ·
That's the dedication I love - having to drink a bottle of vodka :p
I'm not a big fan of vodka TBH. Bottle wasn't mine :)

Love your work - very inspiring for your own take.
On a side note - how tight is tight on the tubby-turret?
Thanks!!

Turbo has a decent amount of room against the turret to be fair. Have a DEI turbine blanket as well as some gold reflector to add to turret so heat won't be a problem. Also going to lag the manifold prior to fitting!!

TT

#639 · (Edited)
So, after a few days of work I managed to do a couple of bits and bobs....

Finished O/S blank/light.

Pretty pleased with that :) !!!!

Got on with the bigger challenge of getting the N/S one done...

Did the same thing as the O/S and made a 'cup' to hold the light which was easy enough and married that up to the headlight blank. Bought a scoop but rather than use it, decided to take a mould off it and incorporate a box-like section underneath which would allow me to cut at an angle to get the best fit to airflow. At least now I can run off as many scoops as I'm ever going to need :)....

Reinforced the join with plenty of F/G and it was set perfectly!!...

OK, the 'bridge' bit was just a bit of CSM I slapped on as I had a bit of resin left. Serves no real purpose :chuckle:

Once it was set I then started cutting out the front aperture....

You can see the usefulness of having a boxed bit as it allowed me to orient the scoop straight at the airflow without cutting the scoop itself.

And one at a slightly more advanced stage...

Again, needs a bit of finishing and painting but you get the idea. All-in-all I'm VERY pleased with the way they have both turned out. The weight saving is phenomenal and the scoop should feed my humongous K&N with lots of nice cold air!!
The lights are pretty superfluous for a track car but then, you never know when you might need some light!!

Will hopefully finish this whole thing tomorrow as I'm fed up of having F/G dust all over me! Thankfully I have a full-face 3M mask...

Which keeps the nasty stuff out of the lungs but even so, it gets bleedin EVERYWHERE!!!

Next thing will be to work out a way to secure front grille now that the little lugs on the headlights are not there any more..

TT

Reactions: kevr32 and FRRACER
#640 ·
So, after plenty of painting, dressing and fabrication my headlight replacement project is finally complete!!! I have to say that it has turned out exactly as I had envisioned it and had taken far fewer attempts to get a final version than planned. Overall, I'm very pleased..... behold....

All-in-all, the lights were about £90, the fibreglass and supplies were probably about £25 (it was materials that I had lying around anyway) and my time was free.

Feels rather satisfying to have put a variety of skills to use in this little project and come up with something useable and reasonably decent :chuckle:. My 'garage battery' that I use as a test power source was flat which meant that I couldn't test the whole system. I will do this over the next couple of days but I'm confident it'll all work as each component was tested individually and was fine.

Right....... onto the next job...

TT

Reactions: sädde and R3Twist
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.