GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#642 ·
Thanks for the kind words..!!
:bowdown1:

I like to put the skills that I have to good use as well as try to improve on areas where I'm less proficient :)

TT

#645 ·
Just looked again at pics and I see what you're saying. :chuckle::chuckle:

TT

#646 ·
Been doing a bit of wiring lately and it's going fairly well..!!

In preparation for the next stage, which is actually powering stuff up and configuring PDM, I have bought myself a UTC to CAN adapter...

Arrived from Australia in record time!!. Also ordered a new Odyssey PC680 battery (as my current one just died for no apparent reason!!) as well as some DEI Ultra Sheath MA for the turbo lines and anything else that's close to turbo/manifold.

A few things I need to consider are:-

1. Will probably have to swap from current Splitfire coils to something like an LS2 or AEM Smart Coil setup as Syvecs S8 needs either IGBT coils or transistor pack (OEM amplifier) for current coils.
2. Will need to wire a CANBUS for the PDM-ECU connectivity.
3. Need to understand the alternator wiring better as my wiring diagram is a bit naff..

Other than the above, I should have the PDM powered up soon and get on with wiring in the less problematic stuff :chuckle:

TT

#647 ·
as Syvecs S8 needs either IGBT coils or transistor pack (OEM amplifier) for current coils.
I'm a bit confused, maybe it's me though...

Surely the Syvecs has IGBTs for driving the ignition coils built in, ie the actual transistors are in the box, looks like that on the S8 faq page? This means you can drive a "dumb" coil directly. I would have thought a "smart" IGBT coil would be one can take a lower power "logic level" output from the ECU and does the power switching on the coil.

#648 ·
OK, so things NEVER go to plan........

Now the owner of this.......

Got it for a song so i'd have been a total fricking IDIOT to pass it up!! After all my singing and dancing about Syvecs I plumped for this. To be brutally honest, I'd still have gone for an S8 but I got the M880 for about half the price. Have to change my plans slightly but hey-ho.....

Now to wire the bugger in and get it chatting to the PDM....:chuckle:

TT

#650 ·
Good bit of Aussie tech there!
Indeed it is. However I still cannot get my head around the fact that they didn't think to put some mounting tabs on the case... seems they wanted it to look pretty and leave the owners to worry about locating.
I see a lot of folks use HD Velcro but that is NOT a good way to mount an ECU...IMHO.

There are a couple of companies who make decent brackets like these...

but it sucks that Motec don't include something like this as standard and leave it up to the buyer to figure it out. Funnily enough, the PDM's and M1 series ECU'S have mounting holes in them so it's not like they haven't thought about it. Anyway, rant over.....

Already had a spare heat sink to mount it on and have sorted out some thermal pad (as per PDM mounting) just for added bonus!!

Had to then think about HOW I was going to secure ECU to heat sink. After a bit of deliberation and nets searching I think the best way is to use some rod and fabricate some straps like this chap has done.....

Should give it decent clamping force over the whole length of the box.

As an aside, I was sitting in my little home office/man cave and decided I needed a funkier chair as I was using an old dining chair. After a 'donation' from the Skyline and 20 mins of garage later I made this....

Perfect!!!!

:):)

Now, off to do some wiring.....

:eek::eek:

TT

#651 ·
This afternoons efforts were comprised of some more wiring as well as getting the turbo water/oil hoses measured, cut and covered with Heat Sheath..

More done tomorrow hopefully!!.....

TT

Reactions: Supertec
#652 ·
So, been a busy boy today (even though it's my birthday!! :cool:)...

Finished my ECU mounting block thingy.....

Worked out pretty well IMHO....

Here's how it looks fitted in car..

Ordered the ECU AutoSport plug and pins so will be getting stuck into that and the PDM wiring soon.

Waiting on more electrical supplies before I can crack on with the electrics any further...

Getting there though..

TT

#653 ·
Well, for the first time in a LONG time the car has some power....!!!!

Been slowly getting my head around the PDM programming software and have managed to write a basic config. Have most of my bits and bobs wired in and checked and all OK.

At last.....dash!! :)

I am SOOOO chuffed that things are starting to come together at long last. Still need to get my head around a few PDM config things. TBH, the manual is OK but not great in the sense that it brushes over a lot of areas and, while technical in most parts, misses the basic things that first time installers would need to know. The ECU manual suffers the same problem. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that there IS a manual and that it's very useful but I feel there are gaps...
The Motec webinars help to explain bits and pieces but, personally, a more comprehensive back-to-basics manual would be helpful.

Anyway, ECU to sort next :)

TT

#655 ·
Cheers Andy. Still a way to go but feeling positive about the journey ahead.

Still trying to get my head around how the PDM can power everything using no thicker than #16 Gauge wire!!?? :eek: That's what manual say's so it must be true!!.
Similarly, because the M880 uses a 66pin AS connector, the thickest gauge you can use is #22...yes, 22!!! (WTF!!)

Goes against everything I know about electrics but hey, "That's what manual say's so it must be true!!." :chuckle::chuckle:

TT

#656 ·
Jeez, how long must a page be before you get a new one???

:chuckle:

TT

#657 ·
Well, after a few days of lying in the passengers footwell (on my back!) I have all but finished wiring the PDM. All the main things have feeds and the outputs tested i.e fuel pumps, wiper, rad fan etc, etc..... The starter even spins up on command and turns over the engine!! :smokin::smokin:

Have wired the injector 12V feed via my Cartek isolator as a backup method of engine cut in an emergency. Only thing left to do is wire in the gearbox neutral switch and sort out the wiper park thingy). Going to use both the neutral switch and clutch switch and a bit of PDM logic to operate starter solenoid (much like my MK3 Megane has) i.e in gear start requires clutch down, out of gear start is normal. It's the little things like this that make me love the PDM. OK, they are a bit expensive but I wish I'd discovered these things years ago..they are AWESOME!!. You can write some pretty neat logic functions and TBH, I'm really only just asking it to do basic things right now although I can see myself getting a bit clever once the ECU is wired and I can send ECU data over CAN to PDM.

Speaking of ECU, I now have it powered up and have comms. Seems it has a shitload of unlocked functions (over and above usual M880 stuff) which wasn't on the sellers advert!!!. By my calculations on a Motec dealers website, it puts it around the £6K mark after VAT!!! :eek::eek:. Considering what I paid for it, I feel like Dick Turpin who has just turned over a carriage :chuckle:

Have bought a couple more Deutsch AutoSport connectors and will be modifying my underbonnet wiring slightly so that the engine loom is a simple 1-turn-to-remove affair.

Also bought a quickshift lever so I'll get that fitted along with my N1 style gearbox baffle plate thing....

TT

#658 ·
Hi!

Looks like a really nice build. Hope You don't mind me stealing some ideas from you.
As for that, is it possible to get a close up pictures of how you've mounted the camshaft sensor to the engine? Looks very neat!

Hope you don't mind asking, but why motec?

Cheers,
RoB

#659 ·
Got the cam and crank sensor from Andy at AMT. If you look back a good few pages you can see a pic of the kit and the part itself.

As for the Motec, I HAD originally planned to go Syvecs S8 but I was offered the M880 at a price I just could not say no to!! Came with loads of stuff like Lambda enable and 4Mb of data logging so really a no brainer. Only thing that I'm slightly disappointed about is the lack of native knock sensor or thermocouple support and which require a separate box !!! :mad:

However, it's a great bit of kit and, as I already had a Motec PDM30, it was a good choice for integration.

TT

#660 ·
Nearly 6 years ago (at the time of M800) i was really impressed by motec as how easy it was to handle it. To be fair, it was the first ecu I was working with. Later i started "playing" with haltech ps2000 and was surprised that it was even easier to handle and cheap as hell.

Nowadays, when I compare the ecus, haltech is the last one i would buy but motec is not far away.
The reason is that motec in my opinion is a very much overpriced piece of hardware and that it is not on the edge of the time. I mean, there are much more ecus out there who have the most functions already delivered without the necessity to have to buy "additional features" for a ridiculous amount of money. Also, please don't get me wrong, but 4MB of memory will give you approx. 10 Minutes of recording for 10-20 channels at 100Hz which is not much. Teams using motec mostly have additional loggers to implement more channels at a higher frequency and to gain more time.

However, when using several motec devices together, it's unbeatable.

I think it will not take very long time and motec will need to rethink their strategy because of the competition.

At the moment Emtron is coming in very aggressively.They are a pretty new player on the market, however, for 2.5k€ (KV8) and with all features you can think of included in the price, you can't beat that. It's also one of the first such ecus to offer dual wideband lambda on board without the necessity to buy additional controllers. It also includes several outputs for DBW.
Only EGT needs to be done with an external device, but there are some very small devices on the market, supporting up to 8 EGT channels with an output to the CAN bus!

Thanks for the information on the cam sensor.

Cheers,
RoB

#661 ·
No probs. Got the quickshift fitted (thanks Rob!) although it took me 10mins to work out what needed done in the lever housing to fit it :).

You're absolutely right, and it's something I've said for a while, that Motec IS overpriced and compared to other, similar level ECU's don't offer much as standard for the money. Not impressed with the fact that I have to buy a separate knock box if I want to utilise knock control :mad:.
As I said though, I got the M880 for an absolute bargain and I'd have been insane to pass up the opportunity. Will integrate well with the PDM and I may even fit a Motec dash logger in place of my Race Technology Dash2 at some point. I've never been a Motec hater, and have always seen the benefit of having a 'system' (as discussed by MattJ in his own thread) but have never been a fan of Motec strategy of marketing/pricing.

I think that the tide may well be on the turn though, because they have just added a load of features as standard to the ADL dash which makes it a good deal more competitive against rivals (who offered more for less!)

TT

Reactions: dA_RoB
#664 ·
A few things been happening recently...

After giving it some thought I decided to rework the fuel system a little bit. The Bosch 044 pumps aren't keen on pulling fuel through paper filters (which I have in the bullets). I'm not keen on replacing the paper elements with gauze strainers so I have relocated the filters AFTER the pumps......

Much happier with result. Just annoyed I had to rework it and didn't plumb it this way to begin with....

Then I moved on to wiring.....

Bit of coil rewiring since I moved to R34 (built in ignitor) coils.

Have mounted an Autosport connector below and to the left of the wiper motor...

This will take all the wiring from the engine bay side through bulkhead to ECU. To compliment this I have another Autosport connector...

which will take all the on-engine sensors. This will have the benefit of being able to isolate the engine with one twist should the engine need pulled.

More wiring over the weekend......:bawling::bawling:

As much as its a PITA, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel ....

TT

#665 ·
After a bit of work over the last couple of days the engine side wiring is complete. Just a bit of tidying and a shrink boot to be applied to the bulkhead connector...

Also applied shrink boots to either side of engine connector...

Next job is to wire lambda and a couple of other non-engine sensors e.g. brake pressure sensors etc and then the ECU is pretty much wired. Just need to figure out what I'm going to do with wheel speed sensors and 4WD system....

Then, just need to connect to ECU and check sensors etc to verify they are all working/wired correctly!! That will conclude the horror that is vehicle wiring!!.....

TT

#667 ·
Thanks Leo.
Since you mentioned AS connectors, I have a contact through Ebay (Neil) who has sourced all my Deutsch AS connectors. They are generally used but in great condition and he supplied new pins with them at VASTLY cheaper prices than new.

the_sensor_guy on eBay

If he doesn't list what you want, just PM him with the part numbers you want and he'll probably have it. As I say, they all come with new pins and an extraction tool (for the smaller connectors).

If you're buying more than 1, buying through him makes it far more cost-effective...

TT

#669 ·
So, todays effort has seen EVERYTHING wired in bar the lambda sensor :cool:

Injectors and coils tested through the ECU and working and throttle position sensor calibrated. Need to sort out a REF/SYNC capture which, in non-Motec speak is a crank/cam sensor calibration.
Small bit of dash wiring to do then I think I can put all my snips, crimps and other wiring tools away :thumbsup:

Bit of a decision to make around how I'm going to do the 4WD system. I have a couple of options i.e. ECU controlled or using something that has it's own controller and g-sensor.

Time for thinking...

:)

TT

#672 · (Edited)
Been busy last couple of days....

Replaced my rear sidelights and brakelights with THESE LED bulbs from Car-Mod-Shop.....

Have done all 4 standard lights plus the two high level ones as well. The pic really doesn't do justice to how BRIGHT they are!!! Having 6 bright brake lights should catch folks attention when I brake :chuckle:. As an interesting aside, when using filament bulbs, the PDM showed around 9A current draw when brake lights activated. Now, all 6 draw just 1.2A..!!! Also noticed the response time has improved as the LED's react almost instantly compared to the filament bulbs which respond noticeably slower.

VERY pleased!!

Also decided to refit inlet manifold as all wiring and electrical stuff is done under there...

However, it would appear that with this manifold the throttle spindle sits further out than std so will have to increase the length of the rods that connect to the 3 throttle bodies. Not a problem but one for another day!!

I removed the exhaust manifold and turbo too!! I had always planned to wrap the manifold so it was removed and wrapping started....

Yes, there are two different kinds of wrap being used as I had some left from another project and wanted to finish it off. I'm past caring about aesthetics..as long as it's functional....:chuckle:

Wired in the lambda sensor too so that's ALL the wiring done save for 4WD system, for which, I think, I will be utilising the services of a Full-Race ETS-Pro unit. It makes more sense to use one of these than try and get the ECU to do it all....

A bit more tidying of wires to do but that's all the hard graft done :).

So. Jobs to do are:-
  • Finish wrapping manifold
  • Fit manifold and turbocharger to block
  • Sort boost hose plumbing
  • Make up a downpipe

Then, I can do a REF/SYNC capture on the ECU and start thinking about base maps...:cool::cool::cool:

TT

Reactions: FRRACER
#674 ·
£60 for a set of 4?

That was my next mod. How well does it light up the rear lights no dark spots? Certainly looks good from the picture

Been busy last couple of days....

Replaced my rear sidelights and brakelights with THESE LED bulbs from Car-Mod-Shop.....

Have done all 4 standard lights plus the two high level ones as well. The pic really doesn't do justice to how BRIGHT they are!!! Having 6 bright brake lights should catch folks attention when I brake :chuckle:. As an interesting aside, when using filament bulbs, the PDM showed around 9A current draw when brake lights activated. Now, all 6 draw just 1.2A..!!! Also noticed the response time has improved as the LED's react almost instantly compared to the filament bulbs which respond noticeably slower.

VERY pleased!!

Also decided to refit inlet manifold as all wiring and electrical stuff is done under there...

However, it would appear that with this manifold the throttle spindle sits further out than std so will have to increase the length of the rods that connect to the 3 throttle bodies. Not a problem but one for another day!!

I removed the exhaust manifold and turbo too!! I had always planned to wrap the manifold so it was removed and wrapping started....

Yes, there are two different kinds of wrap being used as I had some left from another project and wanted to finish it off. I'm past caring about aesthetics..as long as it's functional....:chuckle:

Wired in the lambda sensor too so that's ALL the wiring done save for 4WD system, for which, I think, I will be utilising the services of a Full-Race ETS-Pro unit. It makes more sense to use one of these than try and get the ECU to do it all....

A bit more tidying of wires to do but that's all the hard graft done :).

So. Jobs to do are:-
  • Finish wrapping manifold
  • Fit manifold and turbocharger to block
  • Sort boost hose plumbing
  • Make up a downpipe

Then, I can do a REF/SYNC capture on the ECU and start thinking about base maps...:cool::cool::cool:

TT

#678 ·
Forgot to mention my little thermocouple amp.....

Seeing as the Motec ECU doesn't have native support for K-type thermocouples (*sigh*), I picked up this clever little thing....

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1778

Will provide ECU with a standard voltage input which can then be used to read temp. Not bad for the money!!!

Didn't fancy the Motec thermocouple amp at c£160 or their own R-type TC at c£90....

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.