My R32 GTR pics - Page 24 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:18 PM   #461 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Managed to swap the prop over yesterday...
What should have been a half hour job turned into a couple of hours due to the unwillingness of the gearbox output flange bolts to want to come off. Also, as I thought it would be a simple job I only had the car elevated at the rear which didnt exactly give me shedloads of space. Anyway...despite this its now on!!

Also took the time to wire in the relay for the electric fan. Just need to find a suitable feed and tidy the control side wiring.

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 11:36 PM   #462 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Bought one of these in the end.....

to replace the round collector that I have on the fuel cooler inlet already. This will be FAR better at scooping air AND be a bit lower profile as well (but not too low-pro as it would end up collecting NO air at all!!).

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 11th February 2014, 12:08 PM   #463 (permalink)
New Users

Some reasonably positive news in the fact that I may have identified the source of my electrical gremlins!!!
Upon looking at the instructions of my Cartek battery isolator it seems I may have inadvertently wired it incorrectly

Didn't have time to fully investigate and rectify the issue but I'm reasonably confident that this is the problem.

Depending on time tonight, I may go out and have a stab at it

TT

Old 11th February 2014, 05:27 PM   #464 (permalink)
W80 YAU is in love with titanium!!!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

This is one crazy build Tarmac.

Love a race car.
Old 12th February 2014, 08:09 PM   #465 (permalink)
New Users

So, sorted what I believe to be the wiring problem but a bloody flat battery stopped me from testing it!! . I think it SHOULD be good!.

On another topic I managed to get the fuel cooler scoop finished..well, almost..just waiting on a delivery of 7/16 UNF nuts!!

First off, got some stainless mesh from Inoxia_ltd on Ebay. Used them before and would thoroughly recommend them if you need mesh. Cut out a piece to fit nicely over the hole....

Then, a bit of 90mm heatshrink to attach it to the feed pipe....

And, voila!!..

A good outcome and, in hindsight, better than the bellmouth I had on it before! The little tab I made (top pic) secures underneath the car on to one of the crotch strap eyelet bolts hence the need for a 7/16 UNF nut to hold it on (and the molegrips as a temp measure in pic 3 )

Also got a bit of other wiring done and tidied so things are back to looking decent again

Good evenings venture into the garage....

TT
Old 12th February 2014, 08:39 PM   #466 (permalink)
Swobber is Working hard

I Think a coolingduct like the one from a CitroŽn jumpy would have been a lot easier.

Number 11 on the attached picture is ducting, 10 is the cooler.

You current setup looks like ist hanging a bit low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (111.7 KB, 13 views)

Innovative like an old Volvo! HAHA!
Swobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 09:03 PM   #467 (permalink)
New Users

No idea what a Citroen Jumpy is but thanks for the suggestion...

Given the materials and parts I had to hand at the time I think its turned out alright but I appreciate there may be better solutions out there.

The cooler, inlet duct and hose sit a fair bit higher than the exhaust which may not be apparent from the pic. The exhaust will detach before the cooler (hopefully!! )

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 12th February 2014 at 09:21 PM..
Old 12th February 2014, 09:08 PM   #468 (permalink)
Swobber is Working hard

CitroŽn Jumpy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Innovative like an old Volvo! HAHA!
Swobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 09:08 PM   #469 (permalink)
Marky_GTSt is a Fire Engine
Registered

Cars owned: Skyline GTSt
Hey TT, Have you driven much since the prop went on ? if so can you tell any difference in the drive ? any noises or anything ?
Old 12th February 2014, 09:16 PM   #470 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_GTSt View Post
Hey TT, Have you driven much since the prop went on ? if so can you tell any difference in the drive ? any noises or anything ?
LOL, no!

Car wont be going anywhere until late summer time!

TT
Old 13th February 2014, 11:24 PM   #471 (permalink)
W80 YAU is in love with titanium!!!

Took me a while to get through this thread but... WHAT A MACHINE!!!

That must be a weapon on track.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:26 AM   #472 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by W80 YAU View Post
Took me a while to get through this thread but... WHAT A MACHINE!!!

That must be a weapon on track.
I sincerely hope so! Its all home-made with no tuner involvement (apart from the Abbey dyno sessions!) so the buck stops with me!! If the work's shoddy then I only have myself to bame LOL,,

Its been off the road for longer than I had planned and needs an ECU (Syvecs S8) to get it useable again. Aiming for an Aug/Sept debut but, as I have more than a few money pits at the moment all vying for a slice of the financial pie, it may yet run into next year......hopefully not though!!

Thanks for the kind words. Good to know at least someone is reading the nonsense I post up

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 14th February 2014 at 10:29 AM..
Old 14th February 2014, 10:50 AM   #473 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Home made contraption
Old 14th February 2014, 10:51 AM   #474 (permalink)
m1snowman is Coasting

Car looks great can't wait to see it completed.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:59 AM   #475 (permalink)

PS I like the hexagonal flat ear disc bells with self tapers
Old 14th February 2014, 01:32 PM   #476 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
PS I like the hexagonal flat ear disc bells with self tapers
Err...thats called R&D!! All manufacturers do it and its not as if they were intended for actual use!!

Anyway, they were octagonal and no self tappers were anywhere near them!

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 14th February 2014 at 01:35 PM..
Old 18th February 2014, 06:54 PM   #477 (permalink)
Gojira-R32 is Drifting mode

[QUOTE=tarmac terror;1615943] Got myself a 7/8-14 SAE tap the other day..with which I've tapped the top ports on the covers and test fitted the -10 fittings...

Maybe this is something for you ?

my work before and after :

RB25 covers working on :

next sets creating :

Old 24th February 2014, 10:21 AM   #478 (permalink)
New Users

This weekend's garage shenanigans saw a little bit of progress but not loads....

Decided to remove the HICAS ECU and all its wiring. Physically removing the ECU was the easy bit....the wiring more of a buggeration. Decided to do it properly rather than just cut and insulate individual bits of wire (as I have been known to do sometimes!! ). Had to remove all of the tape I had wrapped the front/rear loom in and additionally, remove the drivers seat....AGAIN!!!

Stripped all the HICAS wiring all the way to the 2 large multiplugs up behind the fusebox. Took them both apart and removed the offending pins as anything less would be a half-job!! Left the feed from HICAS ECU to PAS solenoid for the meantime until I decide what to do with it! Options are....
1. Remove the solenoid and wiring and plug it.
2. Wire the feed into my ECU and provide it with an identical feed that it would have received from the HICAS ECU.

I need to get my head around what signal the solenoid receives before I can make a judgement i.e a fixed voltage for simple on/off operation OR a variable voltage for a more linear operation????

The good news is that all wiring from the seats BACKWARDS is done and dusted so I can get it re-wrapped and secured. The seats-forward wiring is still ongoing albeit with not much left to do other than remove a few things and check it over.

Had also intended to fit a small N1-style splash plate to the inside of the gear lever assembly. Thought this would be a simple job and one that could be done through the gear lever aperture without fuss but it seems that I will have to lower the rear of the box in order to access the frontmost two bolts holding the cover plate on

Nothing is ever easy on this car!!!!

TT
Old 24th February 2014, 07:32 PM   #479 (permalink)

Wow just started reading from the first page, you started the thread in 2007, it is over 7 years in the making and no end in sight?

PS the car looked really good cosmetically back then
Old 24th February 2014, 10:18 PM   #480 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
Wow just started reading from the first page, you started the thread in 2007, it is over 7 years in the making and no end in sight?

PS the car looked really good cosmetically back then
Thanks..

Car came off the road in spring 2009 so coming up for 5 years of no usage...I must admit to falling into the time old trap of project scope creep. I've been there before and swore I wouldn't succumb again. Just demonstrates that even having clear vision and willpower you can get a bit sidetracked.

Biggest bit of 'scope creep' was deciding to ditch the PFC and MAF's and go for a more powerful and capable ECU. This in itself necessitated gathering extra sensors and things which all equates to cost which equates to added time spent in limbo...

On the plus side, all the sensors and stuff have now been purchased and its only the ECU and mapping that need money flung at them. All things being equal, I should have the funds to get ECU done and dusted by late August...

With holidays and other projects to fund, gathering the necessary funds was always going to take a while!!!

TT