GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#825 · (Edited)
So, got the other side ordered and fitted....

Looks SSSOOOO much better... :D

On another note, I have been fortunate to win a competition in Car Mechanics magazine and got a delivery of these fine items the other day......

An engine stand and crane!!! Didn't take me long to find something to put on it...

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Also, went on a trackday the other week with my good friend's sons and their S13 200SX track car. Was kitted out and ready for action...

Thankfully nomex not required on this occasion.... :)

TT

#826 ·
Well, exciting times!!!

Put 10L of super in the fuell cell in preparation for checking all the plumbing etc. First time car has had fuel in over 8 years!!!! :eek::(

Got the lift pumps going and filled the swirl pot which was all good. Then fired up the pair of 044's to get the main circuit filled. Mostly good.... :chuckle:

Noticed a couple of small leaks. One from the fuel temp sensor which just required an extra pinch up. Also a couple of other smaller leaks from where the sensor adapter connects to the FPR....

The leaks were noticed from the fitting between FPR and alloy adpter (both sides) and the fitting from alloy adapter to fuel rail return hose.

Ordered some Dowty seals and viton o-rings so will have this issue licked one way or the other....

Once this is done I intend to try and start the bloody thing!!! I can see no reason why it shouldn't at least fire and idle.

Other dilemma is surrounding the coolant. The block and rad are dry which kind of got me thinking about the Evans waterless coolant. However, I suspect that there is a lot of sediment etc lying around so it would be a good idea to flush it thorough with water first. This then obviously has implications for the use of waterless coolant and the need to use the prep fluid.

Still undecided...

Will update in due course...

TT

#832 ·
Thanks for the offer but have decided to go down the traditional route. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Will flush out block and rad tomorrow and fill her up....

TT

#833 ·
Well, today was a milestone moment......

After much tweaking of settings and battery charges, the GTR finally self-sustained a bit of combustion today!!!! It was for a total of about 3s but was hugely significant.... It tells me I'm on the right track and is only a smidgen away from a stable idle.

Problem is though, I can't tell what the current issue is. Motor spins round happily and almost catches.....you can hear it wants to.... and for a short while it did actually chug away on it's own although it's clearly having problems.

It's either a minor injection or ignition setting that's not right which is HUGELY frustrating as it's obviously nearly there. Using the R34GTR base map from Motec with my own trigger sensor and injector settings.

I'll muddle around with some settings and see what happens over the next few days. Hopefully I can work it out and have it idling by weekend!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

TT

#834 ·
Yay....!!

Over 250,000 views.....

Thanks for looking folks...

:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

TT

Reactions: Whitewheels
#835 · (Edited)
Little update....

After a bit of deliberation, I moved on my Race Technology Dash 2 and got myself a Motec SDL3..... I'm still a BIG fan of the Race Technology stuff but felt this would make my particular set up a bit simpler and easier to make modifications to....

Had the requisite Deutsch connector lying around so got some pins...

Will be fitting this very soon...

(Many, many thanks Matt :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:)

TT

Reactions: matt j
#837 ·
Thanks Matt.
Should be OK with config but I'll give you a shout if I need a starter..

:D:D:thumbsup:

TT

#838 · (Edited)
So,
been busy making a new fibreglass dash holder to house the SDL3......

Also got a Motec SLM (shift lights in non-Motec speak!)

Finished the wiring, and just need to configure it all now!!

TT

Reactions: reaper
#839 ·
A couple of changes to the spec.....

The 12-position rotary switch I bought (originally for the planned Syvecs S8 ECU) wasn't a divisive resistor type and I could never quite get a suitable calibration for each of the positions. I had planned on getting the Motec switch but it was a whopping £125 Or thereabouts.... found a suitable 12 pos divisive resistor switch from Greig at Anembo Engineering for a whisker over £50. Swapped the old one out and replaced with the new one.....on the outside, it looks no different but works like it should!!!! :thumbsup:

Also getting to grips with setting up the new dash....not as straightforward as the Race Technology software but a good bit more powerful.....at least I've got the dash and ECU talking and sharing data which is the important bit I suppose!! Also got the mode switch and line change buttons (for calling up different pages and data) working so all is good!

The other day I took the plunge and called Owen Developments to FINALLY book the car in for mapping after around 7 yrs only to be told that I'll have to wait until Mark comes back from holiday on the 4th.....*sigh* ...

So, on the 4th June I will call them again to book in for mapping/setting up. I can't wait but must admit I'm a bit nervous too.......I'm praying it won't blow up on dynoI!!

Time will tell....

TT

Reactions: reaper
#840 ·
Have watchedd these on Ebay for some time and finally decided to give them a bash...

Aluminium half moons for the back of the heads.

Should get them fitted over the weekend. My original rubber ones have seen better days. They're not perished but if these stop the issue altogether then I'm in..

TT

#843 ·
Still up at Owens mate!! Mark mentioned they had a few things going on and he's back from holiday. Will get a progress update next week to see where were at...…..

The fact that I've not had a phone call if nothing else suggests its still in one piece and not in bits....:chuckle::chuckle:

TT

#844 ·
So, despite car (still) being up at Owen Developments, I've been busy buying other gear....!!!

Moroso breather tank

Oil tank I bought for £30 (!!! :chuckle::chuckle:)

5 stage Dailey Engineering dry sump pump......£295 !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::squintdan

Few bargains picked up there. Oil tank is HUGE and has a temp sensor in it. Its been properly made with quite extensive internal baffling so all good.

Just need to get my spare sump appropriately modded to take scavenge fittings and fabricate a mount for the pump...

All ggod!!!

TT

#845 ·
Nice to see the new purchases, but come on, really, these are for your GTR and they're not shinny, didn't cost a fortune and don't have either Nismo, HKS, or any other "top" brand name stamped on them, how the hell are they supposed to work? Take the dry sump pump for example, it's quite clear to see that between the first and second photo you took the top bit as already fallen off, I give in, some people will never learn.

#846 ·
Yeah, you know me Kev, I'm a total brand whore...:chuckle::chuckle:

TT

Reactions: V-SpecII
#848 ·
Thanks..
Just could do with getting the car back now though!!

My spare set of rims will be ROTA... I've no doubt of that!! I'll then bathe in the money I've saved....:):).

TT

#849 ·
Small update...

While not GTR related, I was having a think the other day about getting myself a cheap little sports car for next summer. Original plan was to get a tired, early Boxster S in need of some TLC for me to tinker with over the winter however, searching for bargains wasn't really bearing any fruit so I changed tack a bit and thought about MX-5's.

Found a nice MK1 that needed a bit of work on FB marketplace for £300. Unfortunately the seller was less than communicative!!….So, further searching found a tidy 98' 1.8 MK2 up in Surrey that was MOT'd until next August and could be driven around NOW. Not quite the dooer-upper I had originally sought. Nevertheless, it was too good of a bargain to pass up at £500 so the deal was done and I collected it last Sunday...…

As a further plus, it came with 2 boxes filled with spares as well as a new radiator and fan assembly. Chap even flung in a Haynes manual for it too!!! Very happy with it as it really only needs some cosmetic work (very slight bubbling around rear arches and a bit of lacquer peel on O/S/F wing, nothing major) and would benefit from the odd bit of minor trim replacement e.g. N/S speaker cover is cracked.

Wont be going mad on it (yet) as its definitely staying a road car however, in the far off distance I can see a use for the YB I'm building....:squintdan

While only at car No.6, I'm starting to get a feel for what it's like to be Richard!:chuckle::chuckle:

TT

Reactions: Shaks_247
#850 ·
Well, it seems after some months of being 'away', the GTR is in the final stages of mapping and should be with me reasonably soon. There have been a few snagging issues, which is only to be expected from a car that's sat for a few years and had quite extensive mods without turning a wheel. Hopefully the last drama in the saga is the wastegate to exhaust stub pipes I fabricated. It seems these are cracking which I can only put down to thermal expansion as the whole system is closed. By that I mean that the downpipe is solidly mounted to the back of the turbo which is itself solidly mounted to the manifold. The twin wastegates are similarly solid to the manifold and the stubby dump pipes complete the 'circuit' back to the downpipe. When she comes back, ill redo them with some flexi but I'm still shocked that there was an issue in the first place.

It's been a long vacation for the old GTR but hopefully she'll be back soon and normal forum service will resume!!

TT

#851 · (Edited)
So...

With GTR STILL being up at Owens and the MX-5 now fixed up as my daily summer runabout, I was feeling at a bit of a loose end and craving some mechanical tinkering!!! :nervous::nervous:

Well, I ended up buying an R53 Mini Cooper S....

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Bought it from a chap up in London as a non-runner for £400. Turned up with the trailer, turned the key and 'click'.......

Resigned myself to the fact that it would need a strip down and rebuild as it had most probably siezed. Fair enough, was what I had expected.....
Got it home and thought I'd get a socket on the crank pulley bolt and see what was what!!.....

Locked solid!! :eek:

In a moment of craziness, I decided to try and spin the engine backwards.....

And it moved freely!! :confused::confused::confused: But try and move it forwards and it would lock solid once again. No play, just instantly locked....

Anyways, after much head scratching it turned out that the alternator had exploded and had locked. This, in turn, meant that the belt in the normal running direction was jamming solid but would slip when turned in reverse. A new £60 alternator had the car running like a dream!! :chuckle:

So, a running R53 for £460 all-in!!:clap::clap: Not too shabby!

Didnt take long before the interior was all ripped out, and various bits ordered. Idea is to create a Mini GP homage i.e. a pair of buckets, rear cage, no back seats etc and somewhere in the region of 270bhp.

+2% crank pulley

5% alternator pulley and 15% supercharger pulley

Bigger intercooler, silicone intake hose and other bits

Eibach pro-kit

Home made rear strut brace

Got some Bilstein B8's on order along with a few other bits. Should be a blast when its done!! Fancied a Cooper S for a few years now. Household's now up to 8 cars so I've decided the 306 Rallye has to go. I COULD keep it as I have LOADS of space but in all fairness it would just sit and gather dust. Besides, I have cars for different 'missions' and the Mini and 306 both perform the Hot Hatch mission. As I dont do overlaps, the 306 must go. I've had 5 years of unbelievably happy times with it but to get more power from it would require forced induction. The Mini already has this so a better base in that respect. Seeing as I saved the 306 from certain destruction I can feel a little bit of pride knowing that I brought it back to life and allowed it to flourish. Its a well documented car and I'm sure will serve someone very well. If anyone is interested then please PM me for details.

Anyway, the King is dead....long live the King!!!!!

:chuckle::chuckle:

TT

#852 ·
well...............

After 11 months away, the GTR IS BACK!!!!!! Mapped at a safe 550hp..:thumbsup:

Its not been without its issues but we got there in the end...(thanks Mark!!)

Just a few small things to do like full geometry setup then I shouold be booking a track day of some sorts. Once the cars had a few miles under its belt to sort out any remaining snagging then she'll go back (hopefully with a forged bottom end) for further tuning up to around thye 750hp mark.

SO glad to have her back!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: Simonh and reaper
#853 ·
So, a few updates on the GTR lately. STILL not managed to get it out on the track due to lockdown and other restictioons BUT....

I took the opportunity to take it to get the alignment all sorted as evry wheel was pointing in a different direction!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Having been let down by the garage initially tasked with the job, Micheldever Tyres up near Winchester stepped up and did a fantastic job!! (y). The chap who did it had previous race car experience and he wa very thorough!

Next thing I did was pick up a VX Corsa D EPAS column.....

Since the pic it has had the horrific VX wheel and stalks removed and a boss fitted to enable the swapping over of my current Works Bell quick release and Sparco wheel. I fitted buttons to the Sparco a while back but now will use the buttons on the RHS to control the indicators while the LHS buttons control the Mode and Line functions on the SDL3..

Most recent mod was to the fuel level system which I've had constant hassle with.....The Jaz fuel cell that I have came with a 0-90ohm level densor which I had (kind of) rigged to the SDL3. It did give a reading but the wiring of it was never filling me with confidence. So, I bought a Haltech "fuel level signal conditioner" which basically turns the resistive output into a much more usable 0-5V signal. Fitted it earlier today and im MUCH happier with it. Even with a wet-finger-in-the-air calibration it's giving sensible readings.....very happy!!!

Only thing left to do before hitting the track next season is to have it noise tested....:oops:😐. I'm hoping it'll be sensible but I need to know if I have to take any remedial action before I start booking trackdays...

Anyway..., all for now, back to getting on with shoe-horning the M113 into my MX5....:D(y)

TT

#854 ·
Well, I see its a whole year since I updated anything. TBH, the GTR hasnt done much, apart from go and get noise tested at Goodwood where it managed 96db without additional silencer and 92db with which I was pretty pleased with. By the time I got around to doing that the track day season was pretty much over.
With the winter hiatus, I decided to pause work on my V8 MX5 and fit the VX Corsa EPAS column I had (above) now languishing in the garage attic....

Getting the GTR column out wasnt exactly challenging

First job was to take the GTR U/J off the end of the original column and swap it onto the Corsa column. thankfully the U/J's are the same size which made life MUCH easier...

After a bit of fettling, I managed to utilise the existing upper column mounts and secured the Corsa column to the left hand hole on the GTR bulkhead flange (the bit which attached to the lower part of the GTR column).

Due to the way VX have designed the adjustable column, I will have to secure it in the middle also to hold it in place. I'll fabricate a couple of little tabs and weld them to the metal cross tube which runs behind the dash. Then it should be a case of reinstalling the EPAS controller which I had to remove to get the column in and wire it all up!!!

I'm also in the middle of removing all the original hydraulics for the original PAS so expect to save a good deal of weight in the process.

Updates to follow.....

TT

Reactions: reaper and Simonh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.