My R32 GTR pics - Page 26 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th September 2014, 03:47 PM   #501 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Been doing a little bit on the GTR again when I have a spare minute!!.....

This year I went to Geneva motor show and saw this....

Took some tips and inspiration from it, especially the rear window vents...

So, armed with one of these...

And 2 of these...

I decided to get stuck in....

Hole cut....no going back now!!

How it looks after a bit of work....

I think it turned out rather well TBH. Thing is with these type of jobs is that it isn't the first one that's the bother. Its ensuring the second one looks reasonably symmetrical!! Don't think mine are miles out....

Now, just this ECU to buy........now how many times has that phrase been said I wonder???

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 07:57 PM   #502 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Just bought a Greddy copy plenum off Ebay for the princely sum of £110!! Will soon see how good/bad it is....
To be fair, from threads I've read on here and elsewhere, these seem to be pretty decent.

Means that I can drill/tap the holder for the water/meth nozzle off the car. And if there are any issues then I can easily just go and get a boss welded on.

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 9th October 2014, 08:57 PM   #503 (permalink)
kociek is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R34-GTR
£110 is a bargain fair play to you.

Old 10th October 2014, 01:50 AM   #504 (permalink)
camlob is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Been doing a little bit on the GTR again when I have a spare minute!!.....

This year I went to Geneva motor show and saw this....

Took some tips and inspiration from it, especially the rear window vents...

So, armed with one of these...

And 2 of these...

I decided to get stuck in....

Hole cut....no going back now!!

How it looks after a bit of work....

I think it turned out rather well TBH. Thing is with these type of jobs is that it isn't the first one that's the bother. Its ensuring the second one looks reasonably symmetrical!! Don't think mine are miles out....

Now, just this ECU to buy........now how many times has that phrase been said I wonder???

TT
Fantastic! This will inspire me!
Old 12th October 2014, 06:41 PM   #505 (permalink)
New Users

Received my Greddy copy plenum the other day and was surprised by the speed. Definitely UK stock!!
Came well packaged and with fittings and o-ring etc. Looks well made TBH.

Only issues are:-
1. Some casting excess inside the main chamber. An hour with the die grinder sorted that out.
2. The mating faces for the two halves of the chamber aren't exactly 100% true. Nothing that a quick trip to the local machine shop won't cure.
3. Groove for O-ring varies slightly in depth so a thicker one might have to be sourced.

All-in-all, for £110 delivered I'm not exactly spitting the dummy!!! Machining will probably cost me £20 or so and an O-ring should be a quid or two. Also took the time to drill and tap the 1/8NPT thread to take the water/meth nozzle.

Considering that a gen Greddy plenum would be typically around £ 500, I'm more than happy to sort out the niggles for the considerable saving. Again, it's not that I CAN'T afford a genuine one but I'd rather pay less money for the same thing (niggles notwithstanding!!)
Old 13th October 2014, 12:50 PM   #506 (permalink)
mambastu is looking forward to fork lift powah !

Cars owned: TH1 R32GTR, Ex-RB25DETT RS13
Plenum

Good to see you continuing with budget solutions. The GReddy replica plenums are a good thing if you're prepared to spend some time on them. With mine I found that the quality of the casting is as good as the proper GReddy RB25 manifold I've used in the past but the machining isn't great and they do need a bit of work to seal.

I found that all the flanges needed to be flatted. The worst face was between the plenum halves. On mine I struggled to get a local machine shop to take it on for a reasonable price due to the curved shape of the plenum outer so I bought a cheap glass table locally off Gumtree. Threw away the metal frame and G-clamped it to a flat wooden bench. Stuck a wide, cut up, sanding belt to it and spent a few hours re-facing the two halves.

The o-ring groove around the perimeter wasn't the same width or depth all the way around so I corrected that a bit and then used a 3.5mm seal made with a universal O-ring kit. Then made up a pressure test rig and blew 35psi through it and found that the three metal pipes that stick out of the plenum also leaked a little so they were sealed on the inside and outside.

The runners needed to be port matched at the throttle body face to correct the alignment but then my GReddy RB25 plenum also needed that when I used it.

I then spent a fair bit of time porting it and ended up with this:

20140414_000706.jpg

Also checked the volume of the standard plenum against the GReddy replica and found the following:

Standard plenum 3750cc
GReddy replica 5750cc
GReddy replica ported 6750cc

Hope that helps

Cheers
Stu

Stu

Last edited by mambastu; 13th October 2014 at 01:03 PM..
mambastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 04:32 PM   #507 (permalink)
New Users

Thanks Stu...

Very helpful!!

TT
Old 14th October 2014, 05:51 PM   #508 (permalink)
speedingpanther is Playing with R34 RB install

Cars owned: MNP R33 GTR, White Spec2 Stagea
My R32 GTR pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambastu View Post
Good to see you continuing with budget solutions. The GReddy replica plenums are a good thing if you're prepared to spend some time on them. With mine I found that the quality of the casting is as good as the proper GReddy RB25 manifold I've used in the past but the machining isn't great and they do need a bit of work to seal.

I found that all the flanges needed to be flatted. The worst face was between the plenum halves. On mine I struggled to get a local machine shop to take it on for a reasonable price due to the curved shape of the plenum outer so I bought a cheap glass table locally off Gumtree. Threw away the metal frame and G-clamped it to a flat wooden bench. Stuck a wide, cut up, sanding belt to it and spent a few hours re-facing the two halves.

The o-ring groove around the perimeter wasn't the same width or depth all the way around so I corrected that a bit and then used a 3.5mm seal made with a universal O-ring kit. Then made up a pressure test rig and blew 35psi through it and found that the three metal pipes that stick out of the plenum also leaked a little so they were sealed on the inside and outside.

The runners needed to be port matched at the throttle body face to correct the alignment but then my GReddy RB25 plenum also needed that when I used it.

I then spent a fair bit of time porting it and ended up with this:

Attachment 58025

Also checked the volume of the standard plenum against the GReddy replica and found the following:

Standard plenum 3750cc
GReddy replica 5750cc
GReddy replica ported 6750cc

Hope that helps

Cheers
Stu

I love this type of helpful and informative post. Well above the "I wouldn't buy that as its a copy" type crap. Make it work, get some enjoyment out of what you have achieved and share it for the real enthusiasts instead of bragging about all the brands your car is now advertising.

I'm not saying this can always be the case, or that it's always cost affective... But I am saying enthusiasm and some effort really can ream results
Old 1st November 2014, 09:02 AM   #509 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Quote:
Picked up a nice single piece prop today from Nat (Natbrat)...nice meeting you BTW!!.

(Pic from Nat's own thread)

I will hopefully get this popped on tomorrow and see what's what! Depending on time I may also wire in my 'leccy fan and get that job finished.

TT
Looking for a lighter prop who are these made by? Std one is about 17kg from memory. How well balanced are they and also what is the weight of these ally ones?
Old 1st November 2014, 10:39 AM   #510 (permalink)
ANDY H is Flat out!!

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Reco prop shafts! Or Bailey Morris! I've had props of both of them!
Old 1st November 2014, 06:47 PM   #511 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
Looking for a lighter prop who are these made by? Std one is about 17kg from memory. How well balanced are they and also what is the weight of these ally ones?
No idea re details. I seem to remember Nat mentioning where he got it from but I've long forgotten. You may want to PM him should you want the lowdown....

A carbon prop is on the long-term list anyway but I'm sure this one will do in the meantime

TT
Old 7th November 2014, 12:02 PM   #512 (permalink)
New Users

Not much in the way of progress..mostly down to the fact that everythings pretty much done other than ECU.

What I DID do was have the notion to change the end plates on the wing. I've always been troubled by the size of them so thought I'd remedy that my making up a couple of carbon plates.
Just used 2 bits of cloth around a bit of 4mm Coremat. Still need finishing i.e corners rounded and exposed coremat painted black but I think the results are pretty satisfying and are more akin to what I was expecting.........kind of British GT Championship looking

Next (bigger) job will be to fit the Trust-style plenum which I'll do after I get it machined.

TT
sädde likes this.
Old 7th November 2014, 03:40 PM   #513 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Interesting concept of the wing end plates I got loads of old spares from the FR going cheap.
Old 24th November 2014, 08:38 PM   #514 (permalink)
modb is unaware they can edit their status

Awesome build, cant wait to see more!
Old 24th November 2014, 08:44 PM   #515 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by modb View Post
Awesome build, cant wait to see more!
Thanks!!..

Have just removed my trusty Apexi N1 exhaust in prep for a nice Amuse Ti item

Won't be much happeining TBH until I

a) Get my hands on a Skylab Fusion
b) Finally buy this goddamn ECU!! (which WILL be next spring!)
c) Send my logger and dash to Race Technology for a diagnostic
d) Send my recently acquired Aragosta dampers to AST for a rebuild

Every so often (as was the case for the end plates and rear window vents) I'll have a flash of inspiration and go off and create .

Having my little 306 Rallye to work on these days keeps me amused and out of trouble i.e. out of the missus' way!!

TT
Old 11th December 2014, 05:57 PM   #516 (permalink)
New Users

So, received the Amuse Ti exhaust (Thanks Andy!!). All I can say is WOW!!!

Even with the robust packaging the thing was unbelievably light. Once I had unwrapped it and had it bare, I decided to weigh both it and the Apexi N1 I had removed...

Apexi 14.5Kg
Amuse Ti a shade under 5Kg

I'll consider that a 10Kg saving which is VERY useful!!

VERY happy!!

One of the small skid plates from tube to silencer is cracked (known about before purchase) so will get that welded and then put on the car.

TT
Old 12th December 2014, 11:26 PM   #517 (permalink)
GTR--J is Full-Race. Anything else is half fast!

Cars owned: 1990 R32
Quote:
So, received the Amuse Ti exhaust (Thanks Andy!!). All I can say is WOW!!!

Even with the robust packaging the thing was unbelievably light. Once I had unwrapped it and had it bare, I decided to weigh both it and the Apexi N1 I had removed...

Apexi 14.5Kg
Amuse Ti a shade under 5Kg

I'll consider that a 10Kg saving which is VERY useful!!

VERY happy!!

One of the small skid plates from tube to silencer is cracked (known about before purchase) so will get that welded and then put on the car.

TT
Any pre installed pics?
Old 15th December 2014, 08:02 AM   #518 (permalink)
New Users

No preinstalled pics but a couple fitted....

I couldn't be arsed to get the skid plate welded so didn't bother. To be fair, its so light and there's a hanger not far away so can't see it being an issue.

Still can't stress how light this thing is!!! It's insane!!!

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 15th December 2014 at 08:05 AM..
Old 15th December 2014, 01:46 PM   #519 (permalink)
k14mrr is chuffed 2 bits with my newly forged monster !!!!

Will it give more powet than the apexi system ??
Old 15th December 2014, 05:52 PM   #520 (permalink)
ChedaCheez is in need of a re-tune... :/

How's the sound of the Ti? A little higher pitched than the apexi?