My R32 GTR pics - Page 28 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th April 2015, 12:23 AM   #541 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan ep3 turbo View Post
Getting there now when you getting your syvecs tt ?
Hopefully tail end of June/early July. Have a Motec PDM to get installed before ECU install so thongs may slip a little..

TT
Old 18th April 2015, 06:34 AM   #542 (permalink)
Dan ep3 turbo is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Hopefully tail end of June/early July. Have a Motec PDM to get installed before ECU install so thongs may slip a little..

TT

What you going to run throug the pdm mate
Old 18th April 2015, 09:51 AM   #543 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan ep3 turbo View Post
What you going to run throug the pdm mate
Everything....

As its a track-only car there is very little in the way of electrical services left. It will provide power to:-
- Starter
- 4WD pump and controller
- ECU
- Dash2
- Coils
- Injectors
- Lights (inc indicators, brake and rain lights)
- Rad fan
- Fuel pumps (2x LP, 2x HP)
- Water/meth pump
- Peltor intercom

Im just in the middle of ripping all the wiring out the car at the moment. The more that comes out convinces me I'm taking the right route by going PDM.

TT

Old 18th April 2015, 08:04 PM   #544 (permalink)
New Users

Been busy again today. Before I get into that though I forgot to put up a couple of pics from last time showing how I drilled and tapped the upper air chamber to take a 1/8NPT 6mm hose barb. This will allow me to get a better quality of fitting of the hose to MAP sensor.

A LOT better than the stupid 3mm tube that was protruding out of there in the first place!!!

So, today's effort was primarily around wiring......or rather REMOVING wiring . There's now not a single bit of OEM wiring ANYWHERE on the car (other than a tiny bit into the 4WD controller). Looks VERY tidy .....

Fuse box and large multiplug gone.....

And underbonnet fuse/relay block too.....

I HAD intended to try and be sympathetic while removing the looms in order to sell on as one of the engine harnesses was new and the rest wasn't actually in bad nick. However, got fed up with that really quickly and set about hacking it all to bits . Even the wings were off to get to the looms in the front arches!!!

Behold......

To be fair, that's probably a THIRD of what I've removed!!. That was just a little pile I snapped for effect . The weight of even that little pile was eyebrow-raising!!

Next step will be to remove the fuel pump wiring that I redid a while ago. The ONLY thing I will send the car away with wiring-wise for PDM fitting will be the on-engine stuff like engine sensors and injector wiring.....EVERYTHING else will be rewired.
I reckon I must have saved a good few kilos ripping all the OEM wiring out and even with the install of the PDM and it's associated wiring I'd expect to see a pretty healthy net weight saving....

TT
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:12 PM   #545 (permalink)
New Users

So I was out tonight doing car stuff and made the decision to go 'all out' and remove the std modine unit (std oil cooler) and replace with a stud so I can bolt my take-off plate direct to block.

Will need to redo oil cooler plumbing anyway so saw this as an opportunity to get even more stuff out the way. Will also take the time to rationalise all the water/vac piping in there too!! I'll spend some time over weekend getting it all prepped.
Just need to be clear on what some of the water fittings on block are and general water flow before I start hacking away

TT
Old 24th April 2015, 08:07 PM   #546 (permalink)
J13ME is loving his 32GTR

Wow, what a build! I inspiration for sure! Swaying me more towards a 32 now!
Old 24th April 2015, 08:10 PM   #547 (permalink)
New Users

Thanks for the kind words...It's been a labour of love

TT
Old 25th April 2015, 07:23 PM   #548 (permalink)
New Users

Spent a bit of time today sorting a few jobs out.....

Firstly, removed the 2 pies that sit directly behind the cam cover. It was originally for the charcoal canister but it's been redundant and agitating for ages now. So, 1 down....

Next was the plumbing on the inlet side under plenum. After a bit of enlightenment (thanks TABZ & Andy!!) on another, related, thread, I decided to go with this....

Basically reused a few hoses I had lying around to make this up. Allows me to remove all the nonsense under plenum but keep the turbo water return via the rear.

Also decided to remove 1BAR MAP sensor as, in all fairness, I wont be needing it. It was a brand new GM unit and you'll see it in the 'for sale' section soon.
Lastly, I took it upon myself to move my MAC boost solenoid from it's current turret position on the O/S inner wing up to the bulkhead area in order to keep hose runs as short as practical.

Doesnt sound like much but it took a fair bit of time, especially when you consider I had to remove the N/S wing to get the barometric MAP sensor out!!!

TT
Old 25th April 2015, 07:29 PM   #549 (permalink)

What are your final goals for this? Power wise?

Random question.. I recognise your username from another forum.. I really have a feeling it was YEARS ago on the Punto forum? Lol
Old 25th April 2015, 07:39 PM   #550 (permalink)
New Users

Nothing crazy....

Have a GT4094r to go on at some point after the car has been put back together and shaken down for a bit. Probably looking at around 700hp but I'm mostly concerned about extracting the maximum response from the engine as possible. I'm sure cams will be the next big engine purchase in order to realise this..

Never been on any Fiat forums so probably someone else using that moniker. Only really use Passionford / Ten Tenths Motorsport and Turbosport forums with that username.

TT
Old 26th April 2015, 04:40 PM   #551 (permalink)

'Only' 700bhp then! Lol

I'm looking at the .32 GTR myself. The 540bhp one in classifieds in particular. Is single turbo the way to go to get to that kind of power easily?

I'm yet to see a big power twin! Supra seem the same!

I'm new to the jap tuning and coming from V8's and a supercharged fiberglass bean tin it's all strange to me! Lol
Old 26th April 2015, 07:07 PM   #552 (permalink)
New Users

LOL, 700 isnt particularly high in the Skyline world TBH....

The jury's out on whether twins or a single is the way forward. There was a HUGE thread debating the pro's and con's of both and I dont believe there was an outright winner.....I think it's very much 'horses for courses..'.
Personally, changing to a single will be more beneficial for me in terms of system simplicity and ease of turbo swap should I need/want to!! With the modern singles such as Borg Warner EFR and Garrett GTX series turbos, the perceived negatives i.e. lack of response over twins really goes out the door IMHO!!

TT
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:01 PM   #553 (permalink)
New Users

Well,a good and a not-so-good day today. Before I get to that just a couple of pics of other things....

Firstly, the genuine Nissan oil filter stud I got off Ebay for £12 delivered.....

Cheaper than the Raw Brokerage item and a genuine part (Personally, I'm not fussed about that).

So, fitted stud and got take-off plate reinstalled...

Looks MUCH better without modine unit and simplifies things a LOT!.

Also took the time to redo the rear ARB links I made a while back. Original ones looked like this.....

New item does away with the turnbuckle and makes use of a male, threaded rod end which screws straight into one of the female ones (obtained once again from McGill Motorsports up near my hometown in Scotland. HIGHLY recommended for rod ends and odds and sods...)

A good bit shorter which moves the ARB back to a more horizontal stance (i.e. more efficient!!)

One job that was always on the list was to make up some solid engine mounts. Bought the block of material AGES ago and thought I'd better get on with it..... So, after cutting the prescribed amount of block...

and doing a bit of drilling....

and tapping I came up with this....

Not a bad effort if I do say so myself. Just to be difficult the threaded parts are offset from each other so not just a case of using 1 bit of threaded rod for both!. Chucked the O/S one on....

and Robert's your Mothers brother . Went to start on the N/S.....

What an utter nightmare to get the engine mount off!!! . I got 3 of the bolts out the mounting as well as the nuts on top/bottom of mounting block but the last one (lower rear) eluded me in the time I had. It's right underneath the front turbo and in amongst the oil/water lines so access is VERY limited. Nevertheless I'm sure I can get it off without drastic parts removal and will go and sort it out over the weekend.

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 2nd May 2015 at 08:05 PM..
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:58 PM   #554 (permalink)

Good work! If it was easy it wouldn't be fun... Said no man ever!
Old 3rd May 2015, 08:14 AM   #555 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...

Love your hands on approach to things, a man after my own heart, but please do me a favour, take a file to the edges of the new mounts, it's just sent a shiver down my spine and made my nuts shrink thinking how easy you'll cut your hand the next time your working in that area.

That said, I'm off to look at McGill motorsports web sight.

Kev.
Old 3rd May 2015, 01:01 PM   #556 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
Love your hands on approach to things, a man after my own heart, but please do me a favour, take a file to the edges of the new mounts, it's just sent a shiver down my spine and made my nuts shrink thinking how easy you'll cut your hand the next time your working in that area.

That said, I'm off to look at McGill motorsports web sight.

Kev.

LOL, well spotted Kev...

I usually round off corners when I'm fabricating or making stuff. The O/S mount isn't tightened down yet so will take it off and sort the corners out

TT
Old 9th May 2015, 11:27 PM   #557 (permalink)
New Users

So, after LOADS of faffing about with the N/S mount I eventually managed to get it done!! One casualty was the front turbo oil return which I had to remove to get enough space to get the new mount in. I didnt realise at the time that it wouldnt go back on AFTER the mount was put in place due to the kink in the tube!
As luck would have it, i had a 3/4 BSP to AN-10 fitting lying around (as you do..!!!) and scsrewed that into the block. I made up a small bit of AN-10 pipe with a fitting and coupled that, via a bit of hose to the original turbo drain.....

Next job was to make up a dummy 9V battery for my Peltor FMT-120 intercom. The idea behind this was so that I could utilise a 9V battery terminal clip to touch the contacts in order to power it via PDM. I'll get some pics up soon to illustrate what I'm blithering on about....

Next thing on the list is to make up a replacement brake line from rear brake pressure sensor to rear floor. I've never been happy with it and am in the frame of mind to change it so why not..?

TT

TT
Old 17th May 2015, 04:43 PM   #558 (permalink)
New Users

Been busy making up some stuff...

Decided to relocate the remote oil filter assembly and thermostat. It was always getting in the way of the boost pipes to plenum and had to change, so.......

I moved the filter down by the O/S chassis rail...

This will also make oil filter changes easier.

Having done this I then had to remake the sensor loom as the lengths were tailored for the old position. I made up a loom and added some identifiers using my mates Dymo and some clear heatshrink...

Looks REALLY good with the labels and being fully covered in heatshrink..

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 17th May 2015 at 04:45 PM..
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 05:27 PM   #559 (permalink)
border1 is unaware they can edit their status. Or is he?

Cars owned: '90 R32 GTR, R27 Clio F1
Nice touch! Got myself a dymo a while back, might have to nick this idea next time I'm playing with wiring!
Old 17th May 2015, 05:30 PM   #560 (permalink)
New Users

Just get yourself some clear heatshrink of an appropriate diameter to go over it and Bob's your uncle. It's a little touch that a lot of the professional harness makers use.....

Looks very 'Motorsport'

TT