My R32 GTR pics - Page 30 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th June 2015, 08:54 PM   #581 (permalink)
Dan ep3 turbo is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
I WILL be going single........ Have the 4094r sitting there.

In two minds whether to keep it on the twins for the minute and get the bloody thing running and mapped then after a while convert to single OR..
Just bite the bullet, get a manifold and get it installed prior to mapping.

There's merit in both but TBH, I'm just itching to get the thing running at the minute so erring towards keeping the twins for the minute and changing later. The cost of subsequent remapping isn't an issue so for the sake of quickness, I think that's the best option..

Mind you, I've also been having thoughts of building up a forged RB30 bottom end so who knows WHAT direction things may go

TT

What twins are on it at the moment mate? Have you sorted ecu or you still got to purchase one?
Old 13th June 2015, 08:58 PM   #582 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
It's running std twins at present. I have still to purchase ECU but will be placing an order most probably this time next month. Very excited!!

Just need to buy a couple of things for PDM install (CAN keypad and Motes UTC adapter) then concentrate on ECU.

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 06:46 PM   #583 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
So, some of you may have read my post in the 'For Sale' section and will know that I have made the decision to fit my GT4094r single turbo now rather than later. I have been thinking about this for a while and, having sat down and weighed up the pro's and con's, have decided to take the plunge.
I will be placing an order for a Full-Race T4 manifold with twin 44mm wastegate flanges. I will also be ordering a pair of Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm wastegates. Once the turbo is mounted on manifold I will probably trailer the car up to Janspeed to have them make me a custom downpipe to connect to my Tomei Ti decat.

I am still toying with the idea of having the turbo converted to billet compressor wheel but will mull that over for a bit. The turbo has been modified to take a shaft speed sensor and I will have one installed prior to fitting.

So, a bold decision on my part. Looking forward to having a GT4094 equipped GTR in the near future

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)

Old 19th June 2015, 09:37 PM   #584 (permalink)
border1 is unaware they can edit their status. Or is he?

Cars owned: '90 R32 GTR, R27 Clio F1
Out of interest what are your plans with the turbo speed sensor? Pure data logging or will that feed into the management system?
Old 19th June 2015, 10:20 PM   #585 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by border1 View Post
Out of interest what are your plans with the turbo speed sensor? Pure data logging or will that feed into the management system?
Will be fed into EMS so it can 'see' shaft speed. Will more than likely set a max RPM limit on the turbo as an added protection.

TT
border1 likes this.
Old 19th June 2015, 10:21 PM   #586 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Will be fed into EMS so it can 'see' shaft speed. Will more than likely set a max RPM limit on the turbo as an added protection.

TT
Nice to see it being used properly!
Old 19th June 2015, 10:30 PM   #587 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Cars owned: R33 GTR
How do you control turbo speed on WOT?
Old 19th June 2015, 10:32 PM   #588 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 Combat View Post
How do you control turbo speed on WOT?
Depends how responsive your wastegate control is, otherwise same way you'd control rpm
Old 19th June 2015, 10:38 PM   #589 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by border1 View Post
Depends how responsive your wastegate control is, otherwise same way you'd control rpm
So essentially you limit boost to keep the turbo speed down?
Why is turbo speed an issue?
Old 19th June 2015, 10:47 PM   #590 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
So essentially you limit boost to keep the turbo speed down?
Why is turbo speed an issue?
The turbo will have a max design RPM. Who know's, I may never get anywhere near it but without first knowing how fast it's spinning, I'll never know if it's a problem.

Besides, if nothing else, It'll be a cool parameter to log and a good figure to boast about down the pub . Unfortunately I'm not the boasting type and hardly set foot in the pub so might have to find another use for 'turbo shaft speed'......

LOL

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 19th June 2015 at 11:00 PM..
Old 19th June 2015, 10:51 PM   #591 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

The compressor map is your target. If you keep in that then you'll not over speed.
Owen developments re-balanced my old T51r. Their are pump machine for spinning the turbo could only muster 20,000 rpm. I think it ran at about 50,000 rpm tops using their calculations.
Old 19th June 2015, 11:00 PM   #592 (permalink)
New Users

That's good to know...

The previous owner had the turbo modified to take a shaft speed sensor so rather than plug it up, I may as well make use of it. My intention is to log as many parameters on the car as possible for analysis purposes, fault finding and future improvement so this was always going to be within scope.

TT
FRRACER likes this.
Old 19th June 2015, 11:19 PM   #593 (permalink)

I run my borg Warner shaft speed sensor into my syvecs s6 its a brilliant feature I didn't need no signal convertor or anything the syvecs could read the raw signal. In A case the s6 sees the turbo spinning to high it will lower boost pressures to protect the turbo, whereas the s8 can actually run the shaft speed as a trip. A very quick easy job to wire into syvecs I would reccomend to anyone, I went for a billet wheel on my 4094 and it was a choice i regreted. The 4094 has more compressor wheel than turbine wheel beeing a gt4294 comp wheel fitted to a 4088 turbine wheel. If the billet wheel isn't significantly lighter it will be a waste of money imo Due to having more comp wheel to turbine wheel.

I wouldn't defiantly do a befor and after test so you no if it's actually made any diffrence.

Dan
Old 19th June 2015, 11:24 PM   #594 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan ep3 turbo View Post
I run my borg Warner shaft speed sensor into my syvecs s6 its a brilliant feature I didn't need no signal convertor or anything the syvecs could read the raw signal. In A case the s6 sees the turbo spinning to high it will lower boost pressures to protect the turbo, whereas the s8 can actually run the shaft speed as a trip. A very quick easy job to wire into syvecs I would reccomend to anyone, I went for a billet wheel on my 4094 and it was a choice i regreted. The 4094 has more compressor wheel than turbine wheel beeing a gt4294 comp wheel fitted to a 4088 turbine wheel. If the billet wheel isn't significantly lighter it will be a waste of money imo Due to having more comp wheel to turbine wheel.

I wouldn't defiantly do a befor and after test so you no if it's actually made any diffrence.

Dan

Thanks for the info there Dan. Interesting what you say about the billet wheel!! I think I'll run the turbo as-is and see how I get on with it before doing anything drastic!

TT
Old 20th June 2015, 07:49 AM   #595 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Do turbocharger manufactures actually state a maximum turbo speed?
Old 20th June 2015, 08:24 AM   #596 (permalink)

Quote:
Do turbocharger manufactures actually state a maximum turbo speed?
Borg Warner do on there range of turbos can't see why garrett won't no
Old 20th June 2015, 09:51 PM   #597 (permalink)
New Users

So, got stuck in this afternoon and ended up looking at this......

Made me feel very excited about things to come!!

Took delivery of my DEI exhaust wrap (2"x50ft) and DEI silicone spray...

WAS going to wrap my twin downpipe but since events have transpired, I'll keep it for my forthcoming single downpipe .

Will be looking to order my manifold and wastegates very soon to get the ball rolling......

TT
Old 21st June 2015, 10:52 PM   #598 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

What fannymould/ downpipe combo are you using?
Old 21st June 2015, 10:59 PM   #599 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
What fannymould/ downpipe combo are you using?
Have decided on a Full Race manifold with twin 44mm wastegate fittings and black 2000deg coating.....

With coating..

Yummy.....

Will be using 2 Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm w/gates. Am in contact with a couple of exhaust fabricators so will have to wait and see re downpipe..

TT
Whitewheels, GTR-Dreamer and CT17 like this.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 21st June 2015 at 11:32 PM..
Old 22nd June 2015, 01:56 PM   #600 (permalink)
New Users

And so it begins......

2 x Hypergate 45's ordered this very morning!!

V excited!!.

Also on this/next months list are:-
1 x Full Race T4 manifold
1 x 15 Button Motec CAN keypad
1 x Motec UTC adapter
1 x Syvecs S8 ECU
1 x Syvecs GPS / G-sensor

Happy days...

TT