My R32 GTR pics - Page 34 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th December 2015, 11:05 AM   #661 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
No probs. Got the quickshift fitted (thanks Rob!) although it took me 10mins to work out what needed done in the lever housing to fit it .

You're absolutely right, and it's something I've said for a while, that Motec IS overpriced and compared to other, similar level ECU's don't offer much as standard for the money. Not impressed with the fact that I have to buy a separate knock box if I want to utilise knock control .
As I said though, I got the M880 for an absolute bargain and I'd have been insane to pass up the opportunity. Will integrate well with the PDM and I may even fit a Motec dash logger in place of my Race Technology Dash2 at some point. I've never been a Motec hater, and have always seen the benefit of having a 'system' (as discussed by MattJ in his own thread) but have never been a fan of Motec strategy of marketing/pricing.

I think that the tide may well be on the turn though, because they have just added a load of features as standard to the ADL dash which makes it a good deal more competitive against rivals (who offered more for less!)

TT
dA_RoB likes this.
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 02:57 AM   #662 (permalink)
Hic
Hic is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dA_RoB View Post
Nearly 6 years ago (at the time of M800) i was really impressed by motec as how easy it was to handle it. To be fair, it was the first ecu I was working with. Later i started "playing" with haltech ps2000 and was surprised that it was even easier to handle and cheap as hell.

Nowadays, when I compare the ecus, haltech is the last one i would buy but motec is not far away.

The reason is that motec in my opinion is a very much overpriced piece of hardware and that it is not on the edge of the time. I mean, there are much more ecus out there who have the most functions already delivered without the necessity to have to buy "additional features" for a ridiculous amount of money. Also, please don't get me wrong, but 4MB of memory will give you approx. 10 Minutes of recording for 10-20 channels at 100Hz which is not much. Teams using motec mostly have additional loggers to implement more channels at a higher frequency and to gain more time.

However, when using several motec devices together, it's unbeatable.

I think it will not take very long time and motec will need to rethink their strategy because of the competition.

At the moment Emtron is coming in very aggressively.They are a pretty new player on the market, however, for 2.5k€ (KV8) and with all features you can think of included in the price, you can't beat that. It's also one of the first such ecus to offer dual wideband lambda on board without the necessity to buy additional controllers. It also includes several outputs for DBW.

Only EGT needs to be done with an external device, but there are some very small devices on the market, supporting up to 8 EGT channels with an output to the CAN bus!

Thanks for the information on the cam sensor.

Cheers,

RoB

Just tomsay, emtron now has 4ch canbus egt's.
Old 4th January 2016, 08:51 AM   #663 (permalink)
dA_RoB is an inglorious bastard
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hic View Post
Just tomsay, emtron now has 4ch canbus egt's.
There You have it

Old 8th January 2016, 09:37 PM   #664 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
A few things been happening recently...

After giving it some thought I decided to rework the fuel system a little bit. The Bosch 044 pumps aren't keen on pulling fuel through paper filters (which I have in the bullets). I'm not keen on replacing the paper elements with gauze strainers so I have relocated the filters AFTER the pumps......

Much happier with result. Just annoyed I had to rework it and didn't plumb it this way to begin with....

Then I moved on to wiring.....

Bit of coil rewiring since I moved to R34 (built in ignitor) coils.

Have mounted an Autosport connector below and to the left of the wiper motor...

This will take all the wiring from the engine bay side through bulkhead to ECU. To compliment this I have another Autosport connector...

which will take all the on-engine sensors. This will have the benefit of being able to isolate the engine with one twist should the engine need pulled.

More wiring over the weekend......

As much as its a PITA, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel ....

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 11th January 2016, 05:43 PM   #665 (permalink)
New Users

After a bit of work over the last couple of days the engine side wiring is complete. Just a bit of tidying and a shrink boot to be applied to the bulkhead connector...

Also applied shrink boots to either side of engine connector...

Next job is to wire lambda and a couple of other non-engine sensors e.g. brake pressure sensors etc and then the ECU is pretty much wired. Just need to figure out what I'm going to do with wheel speed sensors and 4WD system....

Then, just need to connect to ECU and check sensors etc to verify they are all working/wired correctly!! That will conclude the horror that is vehicle wiring!!.....

TT
Old 12th January 2016, 09:52 AM   #666 (permalink)
Austrian GTR is now EFR boosted
GTROC Member

Cars owned: CX5 CD175 Revolution Top, R32 GTR
Great work mate

Playing with the idea of the AS connectors myself for a while now, but I think I'd only use them for the main engine loom as that's the one you'll always touch when removing the engine.

Keep it up

Cheers,

Leo

My GTR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Austrian GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 10:41 AM   #667 (permalink)
New Users

Thanks Leo.
Since you mentioned AS connectors, I have a contact through Ebay (Neil) who has sourced all my Deutsch AS connectors. They are generally used but in great condition and he supplied new pins with them at VASTLY cheaper prices than new.

the_sensor_guy on eBay

If he doesn't list what you want, just PM him with the part numbers you want and he'll probably have it. As I say, they all come with new pins and an extraction tool (for the smaller connectors).

If you're buying more than 1, buying through him makes it far more cost-effective...

TT
Old 12th January 2016, 11:29 AM   #668 (permalink)
Austrian GTR is now EFR boosted
GTROC Member

Cars owned: CX5 CD175 Revolution Top, R32 GTR
Thanks for the hint mate, I'll definitely keep it in mind

My GTR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Austrian GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 06:12 PM   #669 (permalink)
New Users

So, todays effort has seen EVERYTHING wired in bar the lambda sensor

Injectors and coils tested through the ECU and working and throttle position sensor calibrated. Need to sort out a REF/SYNC capture which, in non-Motec speak is a crank/cam sensor calibration.
Small bit of dash wiring to do then I think I can put all my snips, crimps and other wiring tools away

Bit of a decision to make around how I'm going to do the 4WD system. I have a couple of options i.e. ECU controlled or using something that has it's own controller and g-sensor.

Time for thinking...

TT
Old 12th January 2016, 06:17 PM   #670 (permalink)
Saifskyline is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTR V-Spec
nice build! can I borrow some AN fittings from your car please
Old 12th January 2016, 06:26 PM   #671 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saifskyline View Post
nice build! can I borrow some AN fittings from your car please
No...

Got all mine from Alex at Torques_uk. Highly recommended!!!

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 12th January 2016 at 06:29 PM..
Old 14th January 2016, 06:22 PM   #672 (permalink)
New Users

Been busy last couple of days....

Replaced my rear sidelights and brakelights with THESE LED bulbs from Car-Mod-Shop.....

Have done all 4 standard lights plus the two high level ones as well. The pic really doesn't do justice to how BRIGHT they are!!! Having 6 bright brake lights should catch folks attention when I brake . As an interesting aside, when using filament bulbs, the PDM showed around 9A current draw when brake lights activated. Now, all 6 draw just 1.2A..!!! Also noticed the response time has improved as the LED's react almost instantly compared to the filament bulbs which respond noticeably slower.

VERY pleased!!

Also decided to refit inlet manifold as all wiring and electrical stuff is done under there...

However, it would appear that with this manifold the throttle spindle sits further out than std so will have to increase the length of the rods that connect to the 3 throttle bodies. Not a problem but one for another day!!

I removed the exhaust manifold and turbo too!! I had always planned to wrap the manifold so it was removed and wrapping started....

Yes, there are two different kinds of wrap being used as I had some left from another project and wanted to finish it off. I'm past caring about aesthetics..as long as it's functional....

Wired in the lambda sensor too so that's ALL the wiring done save for 4WD system, for which, I think, I will be utilising the services of a Full-Race ETS-Pro unit. It makes more sense to use one of these than try and get the ECU to do it all....

A bit more tidying of wires to do but that's all the hard graft done .

So. Jobs to do are:-
  • Finish wrapping manifold
  • Fit manifold and turbocharger to block
  • Sort boost hose plumbing
  • Make up a downpipe

Then, I can do a REF/SYNC capture on the ECU and start thinking about base maps...

TT
FRRACER likes this.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 9th August 2017 at 07:05 PM..
Old 14th January 2016, 06:33 PM   #673 (permalink)
Hic
Hic is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Nice mate!
Old 14th January 2016, 07:25 PM   #674 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
£60 for a set of 4?

That was my next mod. How well does it light up the rear lights no dark spots? Certainly looks good from the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Been busy last couple of days....

Replaced my rear sidelights and brakelights with THESE LED bulbs from Car-Mod-Shop.....

Have done all 4 standard lights plus the two high level ones as well. The pic really doesn't do justice to how BRIGHT they are!!! Having 6 bright brake lights should catch folks attention when I brake . As an interesting aside, when using filament bulbs, the PDM showed around 9A current draw when brake lights activated. Now, all 6 draw just 1.2A..!!! Also noticed the response time has improved as the LED's react almost instantly compared to the filament bulbs which respond noticeably slower.

VERY pleased!!

Also decided to refit inlet manifold as all wiring and electrical stuff is done under there...

However, it would appear that with this manifold the throttle spindle sits further out than std so will have to increase the length of the rods that connect to the 3 throttle bodies. Not a problem but one for another day!!

I removed the exhaust manifold and turbo too!! I had always planned to wrap the manifold so it was removed and wrapping started....

Yes, there are two different kinds of wrap being used as I had some left from another project and wanted to finish it off. I'm past caring about aesthetics..as long as it's functional....

Wired in the lambda sensor too so that's ALL the wiring done save for 4WD system, for which, I think, I will be utilising the services of a Full-Race ETS-Pro unit. It makes more sense to use one of these than try and get the ECU to do it all....

A bit more tidying of wires to do but that's all the hard graft done .

So. Jobs to do are:-
  • Finish wrapping manifold
  • Fit manifold and turbocharger to block
  • Sort boost hose plumbing
  • Make up a downpipe

Then, I can do a REF/SYNC capture on the ECU and start thinking about base maps...

TT
Old 14th January 2016, 07:46 PM   #675 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
£60 for a set of 4?
That's correct. Was feeling flush

Quote:
How well does it light up the rear lights no dark spots?
Very bright indeed. I have no dark spots but the bulbs won't help this if your rear lights are dirty/contaminated.

TT
Old 15th January 2016, 10:10 AM   #676 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
I'm thinking about going this route myself as it gives you a lot of options, however with fullrace ets controller there is one major drawback which is, it doesn't use the wheel speed sensing as input, which from a different point of view is good, as you could use the wheel speed sensing in the ecu

I was thinking about doing the 4WD control via ECU, but this would mean that the ecu would have to be flexible and that you'd need to be able to program some code into it, which is possible if the ecu manufacturer supports you, but i think it would come at a cost.

BR
RoB
Old 21st January 2016, 07:11 PM   #677 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dA_RoB View Post
I'm thinking about going this route myself as it gives you a lot of options, however with fullrace ets controller there is one major drawback which is, it doesn't use the wheel speed sensing as input, which from a different point of view is good, as you could use the wheel speed sensing in the ecu
Will be using wheel speed sensors on all 4 wheels to inform ECU but yes, ETS-Pro doesn't use wheel speed. I have a feeling that the groundspeed will be calculated via GPS and some use made of that.

Quote:
I was thinking about doing the 4WD control via ECU, but this would mean that the ecu would have to be flexible and that you'd need to be able to program some code into it, which is possible if the ecu manufacturer supports you, but i think it would come at a cost.

BR
RoB
This was my original plan. TBH, getting the ECU to actuate the ATESSA system is not the issue. A basic 2D wheel slip - Voltage output map could be calculated but there's a bit more to it than that.
Even if I chose the ECU controlled 4WD option, I would still have to get the Motec GPS/G-sensor which ain't cheap (around the price of an ETS-Pro!!). On top of that I'd have to do some funky table writing to get a 'map' that was half decent. The ETS-Pro HAS a 3D map and other features which, for the money, is difficult to justify NOT using it.

While I'm here I best give a little update on progress....

Manifold is lagged and sprayed with DEI black silicon spray. Despite using 2 different kinds of wrap, it all looks the same!! Turbo is also on and plumbing connected. Just have to sort out the oil return hose and that'll be that. Interestingly, I got a reusable copper gasket for the drain fitting so this was duly installed.
On the inlet front, the throttle body link rods were suitably adjusted, connected and checked on the ECU for full throttle. All good!!

Will be leaving it a few days as I have a Uni assignment to do and I'm a bit behind so one must prioritise

The other news is that I'm moving house soon so will have to get some struts on the Skyline as well as bleed the brakes for towing. Thankfully it's about a mile down the road so shouldn't cause any drama!!

TT
FRRACER likes this.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 21st January 2016 at 07:17 PM..
Old 21st January 2016, 11:09 PM   #678 (permalink)
New Users

Forgot to mention my little thermocouple amp.....

Seeing as the Motec ECU doesn't have native support for K-type thermocouples (*sigh*), I picked up this clever little thing....

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1778

Will provide ECU with a standard voltage input which can then be used to read temp. Not bad for the money!!!

Didn't fancy the Motec thermocouple amp at c£160 or their own R-type TC at c£90....

TT
Old 22nd January 2016, 05:47 PM   #679 (permalink)
New Users

Managed to get the inlet manifold properly bolted up at last. Have to say that the bottom set of nuts presented a particular problem as there is MUCH less room between plenum and inner wing compared to stock plenum!! Trying to get any decent power on the spanner was 'challenging' but I got there in the end.

With this done I was able to permanently put in place all the boost plumbing from intercooler to plenum as well as some other bits and bobs. This means that EVERYTHING to the left of engine centreline is done, fitted, torqued..finito!!

Ordered all the remaining parts to make up a downpipe so will get stuck into that when they are all together. Only leaves.....
Turbo to intercooler plumbing
Turbo oil return
Wastegate air plumbing
and some sort of wastegate outlet pipe solution.

And engine bay will be compete....how exciting!!!

I really feel that, since buying ECU and PDM, I have cracked on at a furious pace. Even the missus, who usually considers me, quite unfairly I may add, to be 'lazy' has taken note of my progress.....

TT
SiR33, Manzgtr, FRRACER and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 9th August 2017 at 07:04 PM..
Old 25th January 2016, 05:31 PM   #680 (permalink)

Came across this the other day:
TF Electronics - CAN EGT Amplifier

Maybe you should reconsider using it!

Cheers!